Airflow around footbox into cab - how to seal? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Airflow around footbox into cab - how to seal?

Short of removing the body, I'm just wondering what others have done to seal off the the voids between the aluminum panels and the fiberglass body to prevent heat from getting into the cabin from the air flowing past the headers/sidepipes and into the cabin?

I am not talking about the heat "through" the footbox panels. I'm talking about the air flow around the aluminum footbox area between the side of the car body.

Depending on the spot it varies between almost 2" to a small gap and without removing the body it seems like it would be difficult to seal the gap.

Driving at about 60 mph there is a tremendous amount of very warm air coming into the cabin which if I put my hand between the frame and fiberglass I can feel is coming in.

That was fine during the winter driving when a bit of extra heat didn't matter but now that we're getting to the hot summer months it's making it overly warm in the cab.

Just wondering if anyone else has tackled this issue on an already finished car and if so, how you solved it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...-firewall.html

FFR Roadster Mk 3.1, 2002 SOHC 4.6 with Trickflow heads, Modular Head Shop Stage 2.5 cams, TR3650 trans, solid axle with FFR 3 Link, 3.73 gears, Yukon Axles, Levy Racing rear lower control arms, VPM 3 Link Brace, Fox length axles, 11.65" rear disks, Koni coilovers, stainless steel side pipes with Flowmaster Slimline Mufflers, FFR Halibrand replica wheels, Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires. Paint colors: Lexus Spectra Blue Mica and Ford Performance White stripes.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:05 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Foam Rod

If your body is already installed you need to purchase two of these from McMaster.com Easy to shape and not too bad to tuck in between the body and sheet metal. Easier without the louvers installed. The foam rods are easily compressible and do a great job of sealing. Just take your time.

There is also a vendor that sells it in kit form but I cannot remember who it is. Basically the same thing though.

https://www.mcmaster.com/8875k13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands
First Start 05/23/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First GoCart 05/23/2015

Last edited by CDXXVII; 05-13-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 AM
FFCars Major

Walk into any Walmart and pickup some of the soft foam used around AC units. WAY less than the stuff from McMaster's and very easy to install.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:24 AM
FFCobra Craftsman

The trouble w/ the AC foam is that it is open cell and you can blow right through it. When you stuff it into place and compress it, I expect it is less open cell but still.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
The trouble w/ the AC foam is that it is open cell and you can blow right through it. When you stuff it into place and compress it, I expect it is less open cell but still.
Craig,
While the AC foam is technically open cell it is very dense. I've used it on a bunch of cars and it is quite effective at stopping drafts and airflow.

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:17 PM
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKleiner View Post
Craig,
While the AC foam is technically open cell it is very dense. I've used it on a bunch of cars and it is quite effective at stopping drafts and airflow.

Jeff
X2. I have the exact foam Jeff recommended, from Ace Hardware. Added after #8674 was finished. Took the front splash guards out and pushed it into place. Zero air flows through there.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.
and

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

I used to get that foam wherever I happened be so not sure of the exact brand. But 3-4 years ago I held a piece over my mouth and made like blowing out a candle. There was virtually no resistance. So I quit using it.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:37 AM

My body is off to paint so i havent done this yet. However, i plan on using memory foam from an old mattress topper.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
I used to get that foam wherever I happened be so not sure of the exact brand. But 3-4 years ago I held a piece over my mouth and made like blowing out a candle. There was virtually no resistance. So I quit using it.
Curiosity got me so I tried this...with effort I could blow through the stuff I use but my cheeks puffed out and there is no way I would get enough velocity to blow out my Birthday cake candles! Either I'm not a good blower or we're using different foam

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:05 AM
FFCars Major

That, and there is no real air flowing through these areas. Not like you have a hurricane wind. I have used the same stuff on two builds, 100% stopped the air flow, and its 100% easier to install on a built car than pool noodles.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Ray

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ray
I had the same issue but solved it extremely cheap.

Went to the local 99-cent store and bought a couple of the “pool noodle” swim toys. Easy to cut and stuff them into the gaps. They’ve held up for 10-years now.

Only cost me a couple of bucks.

Ray

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement...I'd be unstoppable!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 PM
FFCars Major

Pool noodles here

I'd have finished a long time ago if I knew they were this fun!

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 PM
FFCars Captain

Garage
x2 on AC foam, cheap and easy to install.
I removed the front tires and pushed it back with a yardstick, all the way to the door hinge. (don't forget to cross the top of the footbox too)

F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, PAINTED 4/17/14!! Wahoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement