Squeaks and chirps - need your help. - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 8Thanks
  • 1 Post By edwardb
  • 1 Post By CRZN 427
  • 1 Post By JKleiner
  • 1 Post By noclot
  • 1 Post By Keysergogo
  • 2 Post By CraigS
  • 1 Post By caesarmascetti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
FFCobra Website Stalker

Squeaks and chirps - need your help.

Hey guys. Would love your input. My 13 year old build has developed some squeaks and chirping while driving. I'm sure after this long some things have worn and/or loosened, so trying to figure out the obvious culprits first. Sounds like it's mostly coming from the suspension as I hit dips in the road and such. I bought the car already complete.
What are your experiences on what I should look for first? Coil overs on all four corners and solid rear axle.
Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks guys.

-Greg G.

65 MKIII
4.6L T-5 trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:43 PM
FFCars Captain

Obvious first place would be to make sure it's lubed properly. Control arms, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. with special attention to the pivots on the front upper control arms. You don't mention mileage, but after that amount of time, some of the items listed may be due for replacement.

Atlantacobra thanked this.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Senior Charter Member

Thoughts...

Check the front coil-overs at the top. There were some issues with the upper end being able to contact the A-arm if the spacers were slightly off, or worn.

Make sure the flexible brake lines aren't contacting any suspension components, and that the hard lines are still securely fastened.

Check the aluminum panels (the "F" panels) in the area for loosened rivets that might lead to movement in the panel.

Check the tie rods to insure they aren't worn or rubbing on any of the wiring harness (I had something like that with my donor harness).

Check the ball joints for lubrication and wear.

Check the horns, or other accessories, attached to the front of the chassis for loose connections.

Check the aluminum closure panels at the radiator for tightness and fit.

That is all I can bring to mind. I'm sure there will be other suggestions coming.

Regards, Rick.

Driving a car like this is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Not a waxer

Paul already mentioned my first suspicion---upper control arm pivots. The ones used in cars of your vintage with the aluminum pivots have a reputation for not accepting lube and galling which can ultimately lead to them seizing. I had a car brought to me a few years ago with the same complaint as yours and that was the problem. Raise the car, take off the wheels and then one at a time remove the bolt that attaches the link to the pivot and check to see if the pivots rotate freely on the cross shaft.

Good luck,
Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:28 AM

I had a loud, annoying rattle that started at 30mph and ended at 40mph. I just could not find it!. Finally, I bought a mechanics stethoscope at HF tools, and added a long extension tubing. I moved the end of the tube around the engine compartment making many trips until I located the source. I must have looked ridiculous driving with a stethoscope.. Anyway, I ultimately located it as a loose piece of aluminum shroud above the radiator on the front side. It was then an easy fix.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
FFCobra Website Stalker

Excellent suggestions guys. Thank you! Will be checking these items out this weekend.

65 MKIII
4.6L T-5 trans
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

I had the squeaking too, I completely took apart my Gold UCAs. Even though I lubed them every year, they were almost bone dry inside. Cleaned, sanded, lubed. Solved the problem.

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:18 PM

I had an annoying chirping from the rear when I’d hit bumps while driving. I took the shocks and control arms off cleaned lubed etc, but it was still there. Drove me insane. Finally found it by accident by bumping into the fuel tank with my elbow while jacking the car up this winter - the top edge of the plastic fuel tank “cover” was squeaking against the fuel tank on the drivers side rear corner.

MK IV # 8639 Delivered June 2015 - SBF 347 w/450hp, FITECH 30002, Levy SA T5, 3 Link w/ 3.55's, cobra discs, manual brakes/steering
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:44 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Another squeak I found was the windshield post not having quite enough (none) clearance to the fiberglass body.
For anyone whose steel on steel UCAs are badly worn here are the parts needed to update to the newer better stuff.
Go here and scroll to pg 152.
https://www.spcalignment.com/images/...t_2018-web.pdf
You want;
2-cross shafts #93400
4-pivots #92025
I order them from Summit. These are the current greasable delrin insert pivots. They have very nice channels in them so when you grease them you see 6 little grease worms coming out of both sides of the pivot. Really nice to know that the grease is actually going where it needs to go.
WIS89 and Atlantacobra thanked this.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysergogo View Post
I had an annoying chirping from the rear when I’d hit bumps while driving. I took the shocks and control arms off cleaned lubed etc, but it was still there. Drove me insane. Finally found it by accident by bumping into the fuel tank with my elbow while jacking the car up this winter - the top edge of the plastic fuel tank “cover” was squeaking against the fuel tank on the drivers side rear corner.
I had this exact same issue, and found it the same way LOL

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Oooh! Now I'm going to have to check mine ... I've an annoying sound that I get on some bumps and I feel like I've checked everything - except that!

I also get a heavy thud off my IRS pumpkin when it 're-engages' with the T5z after lifting off which is annoying.

J.

FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... $54 PlastiDip paint job for the foreseeable future!

- Leave me a comment!

Register your Factory Five on the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app - download from the app store
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
My car is in go-cart stage. At around 400 miles i started to get a ‘chirping’ sound. Turned out it was the plastic cover against the fuel tank at the driver side rear corner, just as others stated.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeeds View Post
My car is in go-cart stage. At around 400 miles i started to get a ‘chirping’ sound. Turned out it was the plastic cover against the fuel tank at the driver side rear corner, just as others stated.
I swear I thought it was my shocks or coils or something making that sound, but that darn cover was the culprit! I half-a$$ed my repair for that - just squeezed a folded up grommit between the plastic and the tank as a temporary fix to see if it stopped the chirpping... temp turned into permanent and the chirp is still gone! I’ll have to get in there and truly address it one day, but for now I’m enjoying the chirpleass-drive

MK IV # 8639 Delivered June 2015 - SBF 347 w/450hp, FITECH 30002, Levy SA T5, 3 Link w/ 3.55's, cobra discs, manual brakes/steering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement