Chicken or the egg - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Chicken or the egg

I've had my roadster on the road since 2007. This past year because of odds and ends I didn't get it registered. So on the lift it sits.
NYS, you use to be able to get a car registered and then get a 10 day sticker so you can have time to get it inspected.

Now you have to get it inspected BEFORE you can get it registered..... This must be a cash cow for the police spotting you travelling to the inspection station!!!

Who was the bright one who changed this procedure.... Not everyone has a trailer to get a car to a shop then get the paperwork done to register even a piece of crap..
Who has run into this situation either with a FF5 or a regular car??

Thus,, which came first the chicken or the egg and which one is what?????

any feedback???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:03 PM

Garage
I thought you could walk in and get temp tags, no?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coyote 5.0, T56, IRS, Torsen Diff, PS, Wilwoods, Hydraboost PB + ABS, & tons more extras.
Arrived 12/18/2011. More info, full parts list, financials, and progress-tracking on my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:15 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Craftsman

In Nevada you can get a temp permit to drive a car before you register it.

Bart Carter
FFR 4001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:30 PM

NYS needs to have a valid safety inspection before they'll issue a registration.

I tried to renew mine last week and couldn't do it online. At the DMV I was advised that the inspection had been incorrectly filed. Luckily they were able to fix it and issue the new registration.

Once you're on the road that's typically not a problem because you'll still have a valid inspection by the time your registration expires. If you let both expire, you'll have to get your car to an inspection site via trailer - unless you can find a friendly dealer to lend you his dealer tags.

FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... $54 PlastiDip paint job for the foreseeable future!

- Leave me a comment!

Register your Factory Five on the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app - download from the app store
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt venom50 View Post
I've had my roadster on the road since 2007. This past year because of odds and ends I didn't get it registered. So on the lift it sits.
NYS, you use to be able to get a car registered and then get a 10 day sticker so you can have time to get it inspected.

Now you have to get it inspected BEFORE you can get it registered..... This must be a cash cow for the police spotting you travelling to the inspection station!!!

Who was the bright one who changed this procedure.... Not everyone has a trailer to get a car to a shop then get the paperwork done to register even a piece of crap..
Who has run into this situation either with a FF5 or a regular car??

Thus,, which came first the chicken or the egg and which one is what?????

any feedback???
I was told they only give out a 10 day on a new registration, not a renewal. This was for a vehicle other than the cobra. You are right, they said it was my problem to get it to the inspection station.

Chuck Krueger
Conesus, NY
MK IV Kit - Picked up 4/5/14
First Start - 7/25/15
Coyote, TKO500, Wilwoods, Solid Rear Axle
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:09 PM

I had to rent a truck and trailer for one of my kit cars. Sorry, I wish I had a better answer, but I do not know NY laws.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:20 PM

Changed it to the same in my state too. (NC). Procedure is to get a temp. 15 day tag, inspect it, get it registered. At registration they collect all back taxes including property. If they won't give you a temp. tag, talk to a motor vehicle inspector.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Cobra Builder
FFCars Master Craftsman

Ironically, I'm in the same boat with my other summer only car (Miata) in NYS. I'll be making the run under the cloak of darkness to the inspection station.

Where are you located in NYS?

Pat

4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, SAI Mod, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges, Gas-N S/S pipes. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York and get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 40+ members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement