• 1 Post By flip1216
  • 1 Post By CFranks
  • 1 Post By Brastic
  • 1 Post By alaaelsheikh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Finally registered!!!!

Where do I even start?!
It has been a while since I posted anything or checked out the forum at all. I finally got my car registered and got my plates today.
California dmvís are a complete joke.
Itís been a long time since I started my registration process, basically a year and a half to get it registered!
It was painful and at one point I decided that Iím sick of going to the dmv and having to deal with their bs and attitude so I took a break from trying to finish the registration. I understand that special construction is not common but Iím sorry itís their job so they should be able to do some research and try to figure it out and not give up once they see the amount of forms that are required.
Every time I went to the dmv I had everything ready, I had studied the ca spcn guide on whatís needed, dos and donts, tried to guide them through the process but they just didnít wanna try.
Honestly the easiest part was the BAR and the CHP inspection. Countless dmv visits and on top of that getting kicked out of the dmv at one point last year. Itís frustrating getting an appointment and then getting told we canít help because this doesnít qualify as a special construction vehicle or going 1-2 hours before the dmv to stand in line to get a grumpy ass person behind a counter thatís miserable with their job.

Brake and lamp inspection, also another joke. I went to 12 places to get it done. Itís a range from people that tell me weíre sorry we donít know how we would do it because we canít look up specs for the car and itís too risky for them (which is completely understandable and respectable) and then thereís shops that straight up wanted to rip me off ranging from $180-$250 saying that that itís gonna require a few hours to do it thatís the reason itís too expensive when they had just asked my how old are the brakes because they look new so we donít have to take the tires off. Complete rip off and absolute laziness. And one shop told me heíll do it for 150 but I need wipers, 2 back up lamps and a passenger side mirror. Finally I went to an honest man out here in corona that a couple of people here on the forum recommended him, he took real good care of the car, did everything on the brake and lamp inspection properly and all he charged me was $75!
I hope yíall donít think that maybe Iím the one that went in with an attitude, those of you that have met me know how respectful I am and how I treat everyone.

Any ways now that thatís over, I am super happy that I donít have to deal with it anymore!!

Also I left the dmv today with the plates and registration in my hand, got in the car left the dmv, 2 streets away I got pulled over lol
2 officers get out of the car and say the reason we pulled you over is because you donít have a license plate, I laughed so hard and told them ĒI just left the dmv and I have 650 miles on the car and this is actually the first mile I drive legallyĒ LOL I got lucky. Then they talked to me about the car for like an hour.

Untitled by Alaa Elsheikh, on Flickr

jcdat thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Well it's about time!

Congrats!!!!

I used to live in Ca and the DMV there is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. The way they have it set up, they have to deal with you multiple times for a simple thing that other DMVs see you for once.

Not to rub it in, but here in Florida, I walked in the door with my paperwork and walked out with my license plate in hand in under 45 minutes. Plus, the people at DMV here are actually NICE!

alaaelsheikh thanked this.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:02 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Glad you are finally on the road.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:44 PM

Now that your driving I'm sure in a few weeks the hassles will be a distant memory!

Enjoy and congratulations!!!

Mick

MKIII, Arrival date: June 25, 2005 Irs, Pindrive, Vintage 17 inch, Dual chrome roll bars. P/S, P/B. 302, E-cam, Powerjection and ISIS wiring.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:08 AM

Congrats! Enjoy the open road!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:24 PM

Looks great! Do you have more photos you can share and the paint codes? Looks very close to what Iím thinking.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 PM

Good job. Now go drive the wheels off of the car.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
Well it's about time!

Congrats!!!!

I used to live in Ca and the DMV there is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. The way they have it set up, they have to deal with you multiple times for a simple thing that other DMVs see you for once.

Not to rub it in, but here in Florida, I walked in the door with my paperwork and walked out with my license plate in hand in under 45 minutes. Plus, the people at DMV here are actually NICE!
haha the weather is too crazy in Florida!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFranks View Post
Looks great! Do you have more photos you can share and the paint codes? Looks very close to what Iím thinking.
Thank you.
The color is lamborghini titanium silver, the stripes are also the same color but without the black! got the idea from a few cars that Jeff Miller painted.

A quick story, I painted the car myself, before that i had never painted anything in my life, never done any body work either. I wanted to send my car to Jeff but I honestly didn't have the money for it. I messaged Jeff on here, next thing you know it I'm in Jeff's house and he's literally teaching me everything!! after the first time i went to jeff's I ended up going home and destroying my doors pretty bad lol
Talked to Jeff and he had me bring him both door and he literally fixed it all. What an amazing man, there isn't enough words to express how much I appreciate him for all he did. He guided me through the entire process, even on the day I was gonna paint the car i gave him a call and he ran me through everything.
I did make some minor rookie mistakes but for a person that's never painted anything before I think it came out pretty decent. Here are some pictures.

DSC_0977 by Alaa Elsheikh, on Flickr

DSC_0976 by Alaa Elsheikh, on Flickr

DSC_0972 by Alaa Elsheikh, on Flickr

CFranks thanked this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 PM

First, Great looking car! You did great with the color.

Second, I feel you on the DMV thing. It took me 5 months to get my car registered in CA. My case was different because I bought mine from AZ but it was originally built, registered, and had a SB100 in CA. Every department said I was exempt and it should be easy for DMV to process. 5 months later with the help from my local DMV person and the BAR Liaison it finally got done. My DMV case worker could not wrap her mind around a smog exemption even though is showed on her screen as an exempted car. The Bar Liaison had to literally sit in her office and explain to her that my car does not require smog. Luckily we get to pay the highest tax rates in the country to support them (and our terrific roads).

Now get out and put some miles on your car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement