Battery Tender recommendations - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 2Thanks
  • 1 Post By turbonut48
  • 1 Post By Nigel Allen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
FFCobra Captain

Battery Tender recommendations

I need to get a battery tender for my FFR and another for my 2009 Z06.

I want one with a cigarette lighter adapter and a long enough cord.

What are you guys using for your cars? I see a few on Amazon, but would prefer a recommendation instead of just randomly picking one.

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
I need to get a battery tender for my FFR and another for my 2009 Z06.

I want one with a cigarette lighter adapter and a long enough cord.

What are you guys using for your cars? I see a few on Amazon, but would prefer a recommendation instead of just randomly picking one.
I just stopped over at Auto-Zone and grabbed one off the shelf 8 years ago. I grabbed another one last November there, and it's the same brand as the first...whatever their stock brand is, I can't recall off the top of my head.

Point being...I needed a second one for another car I have, the first I bought 8 years ago still works just fine.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:43 PM

Hi Dan,

Make sure the charger will automatically restart after a loss of mains power. Some require button presses to set the options again before resuming charging. Also don't skimp on quality. Garage fires are routinely caused by battery charger failures / overcharged batteries.

I have my motorcycle charger connected to a plug in timer, set to run for a few hours a week. If the charger were to go berserk, it only has a moderate output of 2amps, so is unlikely to cook the battery.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
Hi Dan,

Make sure the charger will automatically restart after a loss of mains power. Some require button presses to set the options again before resuming charging. Also don't skimp on quality. Garage fires are routinely caused by battery charger failures / overcharged batteries.

I have my motorcycle charger connected to a plug in timer, set to run for a few hours a week. If the charger were to go berserk, it only has a moderate output of 2amps, so is unlikely to cook the battery.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz
100% Yes to this. I have been bitten by the power outage battery tender reset issue also.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:34 PM

It does make a difference if you are maintaining a acid battery or an AGM.

For my Optimas i use a Battery Tenders. # 021-0123. Plugged in 24-7 with no issues.

FFR 3319. On the road since 2002 with a lot of updates
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
FFCobra Captain

This one on amazon has gotten good reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SP...omotive&sr=1-1

And it says this in the description: Charges compatible battery types, including standard, AGM and deep-cycle batteries

So that should have the Optima in my cobra and the regular battery in my Corvette covered, right?

Dan

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 PM

The only thing you cant prevent is the charger dying, and killing your battery from complete discharge.
Even a good brand name can do that.
Heck Ive had good luck with the Harbor Freight units.

Tom Turbonut48
LuvAZ thanked this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:39 PM
FFCars Major

Why? I've had batteries set for over 6 months, car starts right up.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
FFCobra Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
In a car with EFI (and my daily driver z06), I can't go that long without having to charge them up. In a carbed without a constant drain, I'm sure it would last a lot longer.

Dan

FFR5857
PS/PB/AC
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 PM
BS
FFCars Captain

This is the one I have and it has always been super easy to use on my Optima in my Cobra and my deep cycle in my boat.
Nice thing is it comes with a connector that stays on the battery and you plug the charger into it quickly and start charging and unplug the charger from the battery in just a couple seconds when you need to go somewhere. Not sure it has the accessory plug connector though...

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...%2C202&sr=8-18

Bob

Built an original style CSX 427SC frame/body car with Carbon fiber body, 393W stroker, T5 (for now), T-bird IRS w/3.27 gears, dual roll bars, and lots of decisions yet to make.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
I don't know how that's possible in a cold climate...but my '94 Toyota MR2 is dead after the winter, my Cobra is dead after the winter and every other car or motorcycle I've ever had is dead after the winter.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:35 PM

I have a big battery charger that I use to charge car batteries. For a tender, I like less than an Amp. If you car is draining more than 1 Amp, you have a leak somewhere and a battery tender is just a band aid. Here is the one that I have been using. It works when the power goes out even. I am sure that there are many other battery tenders out there. I used a Harbor Freight battery tender for 3 years once with out driving the car and the battery never died.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:31 AM

Hi Dan,

a small battery tender like the one Brastic highlighted is probably the best choice as it has no settings and therefore does not require set up again after a power failure. Additionally, using a cigarette lighter plug, whilst very convenient is not the best choice for the following reasons:
1. The cigarette lighter socket has to be powered at all times, in order to maintain a connection to the battery. Whilst this may be the case with your Cobra (unless you run a battery isolator) it probably isn't with your other cars.
2. Connection through a cigarette lighter socket can be poor, with some voltage drop and there is additional wiring connectors and fuses in circuit between the cigarette lighter socket and the battery. A quality microprocessor controlled battery charger regularly takes a sniff of the battery voltage whilst charging. It is very important for this voltage measurement to be accurate in order for the charger to correctly operate. Therefore it is best to run a nice short path between the charger and the battery.

Some chargers come with kits that have quick connect plugs of high quality that allow direct connection to your battery. Personally I think this is the best solution and the only other thing that I would offer is that you put a fuse of the lowest possible rating you can get away with on the charger positive connection where it attaches to the battery. That way if the charger should fail in a short circuit condition or the cable gets damaged, the fuse will blow protecting the wiring and charger.

Hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask more questions.

Cheers, Nigel in south Oz
WIS89 thanked this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:50 AM

There's been some discussion on the Corvette forum lately about these. The BatteryMinder Plus is highly rated and on sale now at Northern Tool. Also does desulfation if that concerns you.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Thumbs up

Since I own a Bunch of Battery Whores...

I must have one of every darn kind of low amp chargers made (except HF). Out of the 1/2 Dozen only one has died in the past years a Schumacher. I was like SOB... Now something else of Repair. Opening up the battery charger the Voltage Regulator had Failed. OK, I'll Jump the Biotch out and see what happens (since I didn't want to order a piddly Voltage Regulator). It now puts out 16 Volts (instead of 14ish) but it's back working.

I try not to go longer than 2 weeks on Cars sitting. My C6 hadn't been moved in over 2 weeks last Sunday so I was thinking... Need to Wash the Pollen Off and run it some. It cranked right up. I personally think opening the hood or car door to plug in a charger is for the birds. On the Harleys I normally just use the Alligator clips which are a PIA also. One trick I did in #7787 was use a Marine Battery! They are more durable than most standard Car batteries.

*I'm with Nigel! Direct to the battery, alternator or solenoid. Lots of cars will shut down the Lighter after a period of time. And I'd trip over the cord going in the car. Kinda like a String on a Tampon. Noooooooooooooo.

My idea is to make a magnetic disconnect and put in the grill(s). Then when you get in the car to back up, it automatically disconnects the Charger. I'm thinking use two round magnets one small (1/4 to 3/8") and a hollow outside magnet (mounted in the grill) the charger part would just be the two poles to match the round magnets. (Yes, each pole would have to be insulated.) Has anyone ever seen such an animal? I know it can be made (for me it, it's just time).

The Schumacher you posted Dan should be fine. If it Dies, it's Repairable! I am in Disagreement with Harbor Freight Low Amp Chargers. Hell, just get a wall wart (12V DC, 1 amp) and plug it in! NOT! I do buy some things from Harbor Freight but some stuff they sell is total Junk. (Sorry!)

Google just found this, which is close to what I'm thinking. Just not $80.00! https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item...BoCYRAQAvD_BwE
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 PM

I use the Battery Tender Junior https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I attached the ring terminal connector to the battery & leave the pig tail in place. I used some 3M Dual Lock to secure the pig tail connector to the cap of the 4" tube when I'm driving. It's less convenient than the cigarette lighter method, but works just fine for me.

John

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:49 PM

My favorite battery tending technique is to drive the car at least once a month.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:09 AM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Craftsman

Also vote for Battery Tender Junior. I kept one on my 560SL for years with no problems. I mounted it under the hood with the plug under the grill. Left it hooked to the battery even on the road. Never had a problem.

Dave Van FFR 1406
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:49 AM
FFCars Craftsman

I agree with Dave Van. My Battery Tender Junior has kept my Autozone battery going for 10 years. I plug it in if I won't be driving the roadster for two weeks.

Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, rebuilt 89 302 EFI,T-5, Sapphire Blue Met w/ Wimbledon White stripes,painted by Jeff Miller,3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto555 245-315 tires,VPM Banana bracket brace,SAI steering kit, Mods--widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 AM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

X2

What cobrajj just said . . . exactly. Been on a Battery Tender Jr. for 10 years with no issues.

Got it when (I thought) my Red Top Optima was dead. Turns out it just needed to be recycled to bring it back from what I thought was dead. The guy at the battery store instructed me on how to do that and then recommended I get a Battery Tender Jr. to keep it healthy.
My Red Top Optima is 17 years old and still starts the car every time . . .

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.

Last edited by Big Blocker; 04-18-2019 at 04:54 AM.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:52 AM

Hi All-
I have used a charger called Pulse Tech. This is not a trickle charger, but if you have a battery that has started to sulfate on the plates, this device will work to restore performance. I have used it on my auto batteries as well as my commercial 8-D's.

I use it to massage my auto batteries on a regular basis (every couple weeks) while the cars are idle. My experience is that it works well and can revive a weak battery.

They have large multi battery units, I have their basic one output unit (about $98).
Ibought it from their website, I believe it was <pulsetech.com>

Happy Motoring.
PH
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:37 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
In a car with EFI (and my daily driver z06), I can't go that long without having to charge them up. In a carbed without a constant drain, I'm sure it would last a lot longer.
I've used the BT Jr for years. The Z06 has 3 computers that need monitoring and if left alone sitting, will drain a battery. I used the battery permanent connection on my Z06 and just plugged in the BT when not in use. Very easy. To me it was easier than a power plug. Put it in an area that is easy to get to and you don't have a cord to mess with coming out of the door.

"I'm just a victim of a thousand psychic wars."

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:04 AM

Batteries will last longer when kept charged, besides the inconvenience of trying to go for a drive and finding a dead battery. I've had 3 from Auto Zone with no problems.

Don H

FFR 2959 FI Tech 347 ( 362 RWHP, 335 RWTQ), FFR controll arms F/R w/ coilovers, T-5, 8.8 w/ 3.73 gears, Bear brakes (13" F, 11.6" R).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement