Heater hose connection to water pump - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By MARIAH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Heater hose connection to water pump

Trying to get all my plumbing taken care of before I start the wiring. I ran into a problem hooking up the heater hose to the water pump fitting. The problem is that it comes directly into the alternator, about 3 inches away. the hose will not make that tight a bend without kinking. Is there some way to make this bend that I'm not aware of? Last heater hose connection to make, and I'm snookered.

Rick

MK4 w/ Mr. Bruce FIA body, Levy 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang Man
You need a molded elbow. Don't get bulk 5/8 heater hose. Look for heater hose with a molded elbow/90-degree end on it...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-099003

HTH...
Mark

FFR5310RD
Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

2006: 2/14 Delivery by Stewart Transport, 8/15 becomes a roller, 8/26 drivetrain installed, 10/15 first engine start, 12/23 wiring completed, 12/31 body test fit

2007: 2/25 first go-cart, 4/15 leaves for paint, 8/24 paint prep begins, 12/10 paint work completed

2008: 1/7 home from paint, 2/1 titled, tagged, and insured, 3/15 interior complete, 6/2 alignment, 6/4 Graduation
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Damn, that stuff's not cheap! I wish I had spotted this sooner, and not after I purchased bulk. With the mistakes I keep making, this could be the most expensive, and longest build ever! Thanks for the info Mark.

Rick

MK4 w/ Mr. Bruce FIA body, Levy 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Garage
Should be able to find a plastic 90 degree elbow. Just make sure it is not cheap stuff.

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, 331 CI 430 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Senior Charter Member

Just last week I discovered a plastic hose connector was leaking and realized all that heater plumbing was 15 years old.

The Gates 28479 has the built in elbow, clears my Alternator and enough length (40") to reach the heater hose.
You can shorten the elbow to keep it tucked into the intake valley and away from the alternator.
Just needed the 5/8-3/4 connector to finish that effort.

I picked up everything at Oreiliy but others will have it.

$20 Elbow 5/8 & 3/4 ID ~5” long GATES 20662
$23 Waterpump to Heater 3/4 & 3/4 …40” GATES 28479
Bypass Hose .75 & .61” NAPA 7447
Connector 5/8-3/4 Dorman 47080
WIS89 thanked this.

PHILLIP, SemperFi, They call the wind MARIAH.
"Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

When I had a heater, I used a trimmed down heater by-pass hose for the elbow. An adapter plus a length of bulk hose completed the line.

FFR 3319. On the road since 2002 with a lot of updates
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I'll check these out and see which will work best for me.

Rick

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM

In addition to a 3/4" to 5/8" 90* hose elbow (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBG10071), I used one of these: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBG9924

John

IMG_3461 by jhsitton, on Flickr

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Went to the auto parts today to see what was available. Ran across a counter guy who was really interested in helping. Not only did he find a 36" heater hose with a molded 90 degree bend at one end, he checked his computer, and could not find it in inventory. Long story short, he sold it to me for the price of 36" of regular heater hose. Less than $5 for a $30 part! Once in a while it's nice to get lucky. Should be able to finish this tomorrow and cross it off the list.

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement