• 1 Post By Avalanche325
  • 3 Post By JKleiner
  • 1 Post By stevo7896

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Is It Real?

Shelby made less than 1000 cars. (655 289's and 343 427's) How many still exist?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Husband/Father/Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickershaw View Post
Shelby made less than 1000 cars. (655 289's and 343 427's) How many still exist?
Over 90%

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:44 AM

How many are totally original?

"Can you imagine?!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:01 AM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Saw 2 this past summer at a British only car show, both were far from original. Both painted in non original colors, and also quite a few mods in the engine compartments. Don't get me wrong they were both gorgeous cars but not original. Each done in some what different styles. One owner was very friendly and talked to me about his car and my "kit car", nice guy. The other owner had his nose in the air, you know the type.

MK3#5902 picked up 1/13/07, 88 donor 306 w/b303 EFI purchased 3/31/07,first start and gocart ride 9/20/07 color- Ford Performance White w/ True Blue Metalic stripes. Inspected and registered 7/31/08
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:23 AM
Senior Charter Member

Records...

Quote:
655 small block + 348 427 & 428 cars = 1003 Total. Note that there were COB and COX cars, both small and big block, that didn't come to the US (CSX cars), that are part of the total.

Shelby American Production Figures

Those numbers have been stuck in my head ever since I did the research while building my first Cobra kit back in '94.

Regards, Rick.

Driving a car like this is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks. That's really what I was looking for. I would have thought that there were more than 21 427 competition cars and I expected that most would have been destroyed. I was thinking along the lines that there were like 6 coupes and 3 survive.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:13 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
At least 1,200. Maybe more.
Mike D thanked this.

2002 Superformance MkIII Sports w/392 stroker
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:23 PM

Garage
A snippet from Hemmings
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...a/3711811.html

Shelby decided to cash in some unused chassis numbers in 1991, and offered what are now referred to as Completion Cobras. He hoped to sell them as new 1965 vintage Cobras using chassis numbers for cars that were intended for production in 1965 but never built. The California Department of Motor Vehicles wasn't as enthusiastic about this plan and would only issue the cars titles stamped for off-road use. Only nine Completion Cobras were built.

As a workaround, Shelby rolled out his new CSX4000 series Cobras in 1996. These were sold by Shelby as rollers to be completed by an authorized dealer, allowing Shelby to skirt new-car emissions and crash-test requirements. When the 4000 series chassis numbers were used up, the identical CSX6000 series was rolled out. For enthusiasts of the traditional leaf-spring chassis, Shelby built the old-school CSX7000 289 FIA competition Cobra and a roadgoing counterpart, the CSX8000. All of the cars are available with either fiberglass or aluminum bodies (CSX1000 uses original bodies from AC in England), and there are even new 427 "side-oiler" engines being manufactured and sold by Shelby.

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Cobra, a special 50th anniversary CSX8000 edition was offered by Shelby American. The cars were Shelby black with red interior and special gold badging. Sold as rollers and limited to a run of just 50, the cars all sold out 48 hours after they were unveiled at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale 2011.

Collectors' enthusiasm for the special CSX8000 surprised even Shelby American officials.
"It did surprise me," said John Luft, president of Shelby American Inc. "When we celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Cobra, we unveiled a special Cobra 427 S/C. We built 40 and it took 18 months to sell out."

Chris

Coyote 5.0, T56, IRS, Torsen Diff, PS, Wilwoods, Hydraboost PB + ABS, & tons more extras.
Arrived 12/18/2011. More info, full parts list, financials, and progress-tracking on my
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:54 PM
FFCars Craftsman

A little off topic.

I understand you wanted some real numbers.

Think about this...

I watched the couple interviews on you tube of Carol Shelby. One thing he commonly said was he and his crew was a bunch of "hot rodders". Just a bunch of guys in a garage making the best car they could out of the resources available. I love that concept

Although Shelby had a problem money wise with kit car and FFR mk s specifically (should tell you something about these cars) I think he would have loved the idea of guys hot rodders building the best car they could with what was available. I'm not sure how professional race cars operate. However I dont think I would be wrong by saying every car that hit a track especially ones raced by the Shelby teams where highly modified depending on the situation.

So I think these kits are the essence of what Shelby was all about.

Last edited by jhargrove; 01-27-2019 at 08:15 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:49 PM
Vegasjack

And you know it is 90% because? Just wondering.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:51 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

The is a Cobra registry & the known cars are listed on it. There are missing chassis numbers that can't be accounted for one way or another.

The registry is as close as you will get to a documented number. After that its guess & detective work.

Kevin

Raleigh, NC. MK-IV 8243 Coyote (2014)/TKO-600
Delivered - 2/7/14
Initial Engine Start - 11/12/14
Go Cart - 11/22/14
Chassis to Body Shop - 11/24/14
Body Painted - 1/8/15
Body on Chassis - 1/28/15
Dyno Tune - 2/19/15
Trailer home - 3/7/15
NCDMV inspection - PASSED 3/16/15
Plate - "COYOTE" Black/Yellow NC-1965 - 3/25/15
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
Excel spreadsheet

As I read 4 or 5 books on the history of the Cobra when I started my build in 2008, I took facts from each and compiled the into a spreadsheet format. Interesting how many turns and twists in the configurations happened over the years.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Cobra Facts C.xls (42.0 KB, 43 views)

3.1 IRS Complete Kit #6616, June 08 delivery; 347 stroker; TKO 500 Mid Shift; SAI & Bumpsteer Mods; Manual Rack;
" At 60 there is no time left to delay your Dreams "
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Cool

118% still exist!

If Carroll was still kicking and you called him looking for an "Original" 1965 or 1966 Car I'd bet a $100.00 he still had one more 1965 frame left that he'd build for you.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:55 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines that there were like 6 coupes and 3 survive.
All six coupes are alive and well. Here they ALL are together for the first time since the 60s:

Mike D and chrisarella thanked this.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCathcart View Post
118% still exist!

If Carroll was still kicking and you called him looking for an "Original" 1965 or 1966 Car I'd bet a $100.00 he still had one more 1965 frame left that he'd build for you.
That's pretty funny!! I've always wondered, when did Shelby get the license to start producing Cobra's? I've always looked at the continuation series as a more expensive kit car since Shelby didn't originally make the chassis and body. Oh and it's 50 years later....
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:59 AM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey McBride View Post
...I've always looked at the continuation series as a more expensive kit car since Shelby didn't originally make the chassis and body. Oh and it's 50 years later....
Ever seen a grown man have a complete meltdown? You will if you try to convince the owner of a 4000, 6000, 7000 or 8000 car of that

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:17 PM
BS
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKleiner View Post
Ever seen a grown man have a complete meltdown? You will if you try to convince the owner of a 4000, 6000, 7000 or 8000 car of that

Jeff
There have been several guys quit Club Cobra over this subject. Seems they just couldn't stand the fact their car was not considered an "original" cobra and got tired of defending their cars .... hate to say it but it was pretty funny to watch.....

At least even the courts agreed the continuation shelbys are nothing more than kit cars....

Built an original style CSX 427SC frame/body car with Carbon fiber body, 393W stroker, T5 (for now), T-bird IRS w/3.27 gears, dual roll bars, and lots of decisions yet to make.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:40 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Yes, the continuation guys do get quite upset about not being included as a original. They just need to get over it and stop trying to fool themselves.

I got a ride in a Superformance Coupe when I stopped by the showroom in California. We stopped for gas and a guy came up and asked if it was real. The SPF guy said "Yes, this is a genuine Shelby Daytona Coupe". That was serious cringe factor to me. That is taking "officially licensed product" to a whole new level.

I also saw a SPF aluminum body Cobra at a local show. The lady standing there with it was telling everyone that asked that it was an original Cobra. And she had quite the attitude about it. There were 20+ FFRs parked in the next row. She wouldn't even look in that direction.

I have an officially licensed Mickey Mouse ceramic piggy bank. I don't think for a second that it is actually Mickey Mouse standing there.

Ol' CS was a master of stretching boundaries and definitions. I guess the tradition continues.
Mike D thanked this.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:29 PM
FFCars Major

I didn't even realize that SPF was offering alloy bodies.

I'd have finished a long time ago if I knew they were this fun!

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:01 PM

Garage
Is It Real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

I believe all new aluminum bodies are supplied by Kirkham, even when you purchase a car from Shelby American.

Chris

Coyote 5.0, T56, IRS, Torsen Diff, PS, Wilwoods, Hydraboost PB + ABS, & tons more extras.
Arrived 12/18/2011. More info, full parts list, financials, and progress-tracking on my
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:25 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Yes. At Hillbank, they had an AL bodied coupe. They had it roped off and multiple DO NOT TOUCH signs. That lady at the show was terrified that someone would touch the car. Fair enough, the first thing that the average person wants to do is bang on it to see if it is aluminum. They will dent if you look at them too hard. While having an AL body sounds cool, I don't think it is worth the extra worry on a replica.

I have met several replica owners, including a couple FFR owners, that are afraid to drive their cars. I can't understand why you would want a replica that you never drive. Isn't driving them the whole point?
mcmustang thanked this.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Senior Charter Member

News...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarella View Post
I believe all new aluminum bodies are supplied by Kirkham, even when you purchase a car from Shelby American.
I had read that Kirkham supplied aluminum bodies to Shelby American, but I had not heard that Superformance used them. SPF came into play when Shelby signed the agreement that they could use "Cobra" in their advertising (etc), and started supplying many of the "Shelby" cars, but I thought SPF did their own aluminum fabrication.

Does anyone know for sure if Kirkham supplies bodies for SPF?

Regards, Rick.

Driving a car like this is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZN 427 View Post
I had read that Kirkham supplied aluminum bodies to Shelby American, but I had not heard that Superformance used them. SPF came into play when Shelby signed the agreement that they could use "Cobra" in their advertising (etc), and started supplying many of the "Shelby" cars, but I thought SPF did their own aluminum fabrication.

Does anyone know for sure if Kirkham supplies bodies for SPF?

Regards, Rick.
Not sure about SPF but when i was looking for a Cobra I came across these guys. They seem to make their own aluminum bodies. Here is the link- Aluminum Cobra
I've never heard anything about them other than the website.

Dewey
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Not sure about SPF but when i was looking for a Cobra I came across these guys. They seem to make their own aluminum bodies. Here is the link- Aluminum Cobra

Dewey
That looks like all Factory Five chassis and inner aluminum panels. They must be just making the bodies and building the car for $126,950. WOW!!!
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:33 PM
FFCars Major

That's the old Kirkham body that FFR bought and tried adapting to their frame. They gave up the idea and sold it off. Nothing to do with SPF.

I'd have finished a long time ago if I knew they were this fun!

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Not a waxer

Quote:

Dewey
Please, don't start this again

Jeff
BS, John4337 and WIS89 thanked this.

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
Fair enough, the first thing that the average person wants to do is bang on it to see if it is aluminum.
FYI - I have seen this happen a handful of times to an original car and every time the person thinks it's a fiberglass replica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
I can't understand why you would want a replica that you never drive. Isn't driving them the whole point?
WAY TOO MUCH FUN not to drive!!!

Rob

12/7/1941
9/11/2001
3/21/2010
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
That looks like all Factory Five chassis and inner aluminum panels. They must be just making the bodies and building the car for $126,950. WOW!!!

Good observation !!! There are a few threads floating around, that are fun to read with a bowl of pop corn about this company. There is a lengthy thread on one of the other sites. Lots of drama.
Tony_G thanked this.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 PM

I am usually very honest about what the cat is when people ask. But, there are people who want to make a statement. I usually let them know it is a Factory Five Roadster which is a replica of a kit car made back in the 60s. My favorite is when people ask you about the car and you say it is a Cobra. Then the first question is "like a Mustang." I have one friend who cannot get that this is not a Mustang.

I also like when you are in a parking lot or gas station and someone ask you what kind of car is it. I like to tell them it is a 1965 Miata.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
I also like when you are in a parking lot or gas station and someone ask you what kind of car is it. I like to tell them it is a 1965 Miata.

Best.
Response.
EVER!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement