Water Pump Recommendations? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Norm B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Water Pump Recommendations?

I've been running Edelbrock water pumps on my car for 13 years, but am currently on my 3rd pump and it's leaking too. I run the 8845 reverse rotation pump, polished. I prefer polished, but at this point I'd settle for one that will last and perform.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter
New Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Custom Metal Components for Your FFR Roadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 AM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

I run a stock+ CC water pump from Auto Zone that comes with a "Life Time Warranty". Not fancy, but no problems over many,many miles. Plus, if I had a problem, just take pump back and get another for free.
hth
Butch

This ain't no circus--and I don't need any clowns!

MKI #1437, EFI 347, Astro T-5, 3:55 8.8rr, and other upgrades--
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:50 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

I run a Weiand CCW pump and have no issues in 14yrs.

"I'm just a victim of a thousand psychic wars."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:39 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Something is wrong. I can understand getting one, or maybe even two bad pumps but, three seems excessive. If that was the case, everyone with an Edelbrock pump would be reporting failures. I donít have a water pump recommendation but, if you have gone through 3 pumps, I would be looking at the water pump drive system very carefully. The water pump pulley would be my first item to check. Use a dial gauge and check for run out. Even the slightest wobble in a pulley will eat up a water pump. Make sure the belt is correctly aligned and that the tension is not too high.

Good Luck

Norm
hefbadr thanked this.

Mk 4 Base 7721, 302, Carb, T5, 355 traction lock, rear disc, heater, wipers, foot well vents, whitby soft top, dropped trunk floor and more.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Not a waxer

I've used new from NAPA on 4 builds. Probably 60K+ miles all together and no issues.

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:02 PM
FFCars Major

I've had good luck with pumps from these guys;
https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com...e%3A302%2F5.0L
But as Norm pointed out, I think you have something not right.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm B View Post
Something is wrong. I can understand getting one, or maybe even two bad pumps but, three seems excessive. If that was the case, everyone with an Edelbrock pump would be reporting failures. I donít have a water pump recommendation but, if you have gone through 3 pumps, I would be looking at the water pump drive system very carefully. The water pump pulley would be my first item to check. Use a dial gauge and check for run out. Even the slightest wobble in a pulley will eat up a water pump. Make sure the belt is correctly aligned and that the tension is not too high.

Good Luck

Norm
Excessive belt tension could certainly be a cause for repetitive failures.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 PM

I kept seeing rust around the radiator cap on my Coupe. I was using "Old School" green antifreeze and changed to Ford Gold antifreeze. Gold was used in my v10 F350 that had a cast iron block and aluminum heads, same as my Coupe. I've seen no rust since. I agree that you have something else causing the failures. Maybe the green antifreeze was eating my water pump?

Good Luck, Glen

Coupe 0652-408W/510 hp-TKO600 .64OD-3.73 TractionLok-3 Link-26x10 front 26x12 15" Mickey Thompson-Heat and A/C- Complete Kit-First Start 7/10/15 First Go Kart 8/15/15 Painted 11/12/16 Titled and Registered 3/24/17 Legally on the road 4/20/17
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Question

pulley belt to tight?

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
1966 Ford Fairlane GT 2 door hardtop with 390 5 speed.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

You know, I never thought the tension was too much, but maybe it is. I set the tension using a Goodyear tension gauge. After I replace this pump, I'll be sure to re-evaluate that.

Here's my pulley setup, it's a slightly modified March setup. The water pump pulley used to have grooves until I added power steering and reversed the direction of the pump.

To clarify, is the standard direction of the Windsor-style pump clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00364.jpg (217.8 KB, 59 views)

- Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter
New Owner of
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:19 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Bill, if I understand correctly, that pulley originally had grooves in it and therefore was designed to drive a clockwise rotation pump. You had the grooves machined off to allow for reverse rotation when you added power steering. If you used the same pump when you reversed the rotation you are now turning it backwards. It will still pump coolant in the correct direction for cooling the engine but, depending on the impeller design, it could be quite inefficient and will be cavitating badly. This cavitation causes impeller damage and high frequency vibration that will eventually cause the pump to fail.

Water pumps and pulleys were designed with different flanges and bolt patterns to prevent installation of the incorrect parts for this reason. I believe there may be pumps now available, with the flange that matches your pulley, designed for reverse or counter clockwise rotation. Hopefully someone on the forum can confirm this.

How were the grooves removed from your pulley? If this wasnít done properly it could have created one or more high spots that could also reduce water pump life.

Norm

Mk 4 Base 7721, 302, Carb, T5, 355 traction lock, rear disc, heater, wipers, foot well vents, whitby soft top, dropped trunk floor and more.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:31 PM
FFCars Major

For your setup you need a counter-clockwise pump. As Norm said, some pumps can turn in either direction if it has straight fins, but if they are curved then it's direction specific. Are you running the belt tight to stop it from squealing at startup? You belt is routed same as mine, and will chirp at startup because of the limited contact on the crank pulley.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Bill, if I understand correctly... If you used the same pump when you reversed the rotation you are now turning it backwards...

Norm
Nope, switched water pumps too.

New Owner of
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
How were the grooves removed from your pulley?

Norm
Milled off by a professional machine shop. Runs true and perfect, no wobbles.

New Owner of
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:39 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Bill, did you use the same part number pump or a reverse rotation pump?

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:34 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Bill, I looked up the Edelbrock pumps on Summit Racing and, by comparing them to yours as pictured, you have the correct pump for direction of rotation. Because the pulley runs true and was properly machined, you are left with too much tension, incompatible coolant, or three bad pumps as your causes for failure. If itís three bad pumps, Iíd be very upset. Those things are expensive.

Good Luck

Norm

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I have 20K miles on a Ford Performance pump and t is good so far. I autocross, so it sees 6200rpm regularly.

I had a 66 Mustang and I used parts store, lifetime warranty pumps. It was pretty much 3 pumps a year. I quit using parts store junk a long time ago. I also find that many aftermarket parts just don't hold up, even the big name brands.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

As a follow-up, I replaced the shiny Edelbrock pump with a FlowKooler pump and so far so good. The FlowKooler pump is actually a bit lighter too, and 1/3 the price at $119 and free shipping. Nice billet impeller.

This is the reverse rotation pump:
https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com...302-water-pump

If you're interested, try coupon code SPALJUN18

New Owner of
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:40 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs up

I like this one. Milodon, aluminum, high volume

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-16234/overview/

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
1966 Ford Fairlane GT 2 door hardtop with 390 5 speed.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Where were they leaking? I know you have to remove and rough up the shiny surfaces on those polished pumps where they mate. I put mine on the floor on top of some 320 grit and shaved off the polished surface. Worked fine.

work like a captain, play like a pirate
FFR2606 - +100,000 miles, 392W/AFR185/500hp/QF 650DP/Tremec 3550/Pin Drive/15" Vintage Wheels
2017 Ford Raptor
1980 Crossle 45F Formula Ford
2003 Honda Gold Wing
2016 Rokon
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Buttrick View Post
Where were they leaking?
Mating surface wasn't polished. Leak was from the shaft (again).

New Owner of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement