Ignition For Carburetors - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Ignition For Carburetors

I'm having a little issue deciding on the ignition parts.

My engine is a SBF. The only thing I used from the 88 EFI is the block. It's now a 347 stroker with dual quad carburetors.

I don't want to miss a crucial part.

Distributor
Wires
Plugs
Starter

Seems simple enough to me. Am I missing anything?

It seems MSD is popular. That is what I planned on. However I'm worried about buying the right parts. I cant fillter the parts specific for the year because it gives me EFI parts.

Anyone have specifics so I buy parts for carburetors?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:14 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Garage
Ignition box.

Many good ones, it's your pick.

I have used the Crane HI-6 box for 14 years, never missed a beat, both optical and magnetic dizzy's. Bonus is small screwdriver settable rev limiter

Distributor is also a wide area. Many brands, types, etc. Stay with a medium sized cap, no GM HEI

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, 331 CI 430 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepsk8 View Post
Ignition box.

Many good ones, it's your pick.

I have used the Crane HI-6 box for 14 years, never missed a beat, both optical and magnetic dizzy's. Bonus is small screwdriver settable rev limiter

Distributor is also a wide area. Many brands, types, etc. Stay with a medium sized cap, no GM HEI
Awesome thank you.

Do I need the box to get the engine tested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:36 PM
FFCars Major

If it were me, I'd add a coil.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Not a waxer

Whatever distributor you decide on be absolutely certain that the gear material is appropriate for the cam---for example a cast iron gear on a steel billet cam will result in a catastrophic failure in short order. If you aren't sure what you need consult the cam manufacturer.

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKleiner View Post
Whatever distributor you decide on be absolutely certain that the gear material is appropriate for the cam---for example a cast iron gear on a steel billet cam will result in a catastrophic failure in short order. If you aren't sure what you need consult the cam manufacturer.

Jeff
Ok thank you. I will just go back the DSS Racing they helped me with everything else they said to come to them for the ignition that's probably why.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 PM

Just for general information's sake, Crane sold their ignition business to FAST aka Fuel Air Spark Technology (which is part of Comp Cams) about 2 years ago. There are still some Crane Hi 6 branded units out there but it now is re-branded FAST E6 Digital sold as a kit with ignition box and coil or with the ignition alone. In addition, there are two flavors of ignition box, one with the built in rev limiter (two dials on the end of the unit) and the other without. I'm told that the production is as before and the engineers and tech guys went with the biz to FAST . HTH someone. Great product by the way.

Frank

FFR 4440, V-8, 4BBL, Dual Exhaust, Manual Trans, P/S, WSW, Htr, Radio Delete
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

One regret of mine is my ignition system (Mallory) does not have a rev limiter.

No donuts, and I have to be very careful at the drag strip.

If you want to to a dapper job, you can get Taylor wires and a $15 tool to cut the wires and crimp your own connectors.

Check Summit, I used Made-For-You wire holders and everything looks nicey-nicey.

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....†††

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:53 AM
Ray

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ray
I used this: Ford Street/Strip DUI - Performance Distributors Performance Distributors

With this: Rev Limiter Archives - Performance Distributors Performance Distributors

Ray

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement...I'd be unstoppable!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Awesome thank you.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:58 AM
FFCobra Craftsman

For 43000 miles I have been running a Mallory dist and a coil. No ign box. Based on all the dead units reported here over the years I wouldn't use an MSD if it were given to me.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement