Wilwood MC Rod Travel - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Wilwood MC Rod Travel

Hey all. Just finished bleeding out the brakes and MC. Everything seems to be bubble free. Only issue I'm having is the brake pedal doesn't get hard until a few inches of travel. Bled the system twice just in case I had some more air trapped.

I started looking at how I had the balance bar and rods set, and noticed that my front brake MC rod doesn't compress like the rear MC does when the brake pedal is pressed down. I've tried a few different configurations and the result is always the same. Is there an adjustment to the rod somewhere under the rubber boot or is this normal and I'm missing something from an adjustment perspective? Here's a video. The MC in question is on the right in the video, or the top when looking at from the driver's side footbox. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/K6tMutez2r0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:46 AM

It looks like the master cylinder that has all the travel is not building any pressure. The other one looks like it is working properly.

Coupe 0652-408W/510 hp-TKO600 .64OD-3.73 TractionLok-3 Link-26x10 front 26x12 15" Mickey Thompson-Heat and A/C- Complete Kit-First Start 7/10/15 First Go Kart 8/15/15 Painted 11/12/16 Titled and Registered 3/24/17 Legally on the road 4/20/17
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsides9 View Post
It looks like the master cylinder that has all the travel is not building any pressure. The other one looks like it is working properly.
Thanks. Guess I was thinking of it backwards. I know that the rear calipers are working to an extent as they canít be moved when I push the pedal in and I can hear the pads engaging, but only on one side. Would this have anything to do woth the brake pedal having too much travel before engaging and should the MC be replaced?

MKIV - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:12 AM

Before you get your credit card out, check that there is fluid in the reservoir, that the MC piston comes to the end of its travel (disconnect the pedal) and then does fluid come out of the caliper that doesn’t lock up when you open the bleeder. If the MC piston doesn’t come to the end of its travel, it won’t replace the fluid that you bled out of the caliper

Coupe 0652-408W/510 hp-TKO600 .64OD-3.73 TractionLok-3 Link-26x10 front 26x12 15" Mickey Thompson-Heat and A/C- Complete Kit-First Start 7/10/15 First Go Kart 8/15/15 Painted 11/12/16 Titled and Registered 3/24/17 Legally on the road 4/20/17
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsides9 View Post
Before you get your credit card out, check that there is fluid in the reservoir, that the MC piston comes to the end of its travel (disconnect the pedal) and then does fluid come out of the caliper that doesnít lock up when you open the bleeder. If the MC piston doesnít come to the end of its travel, it wonít replace the fluid that you bled out of the caliper
Definitely have a full reservoir. I pressure bled the system and the fluid is free flowing throughout. I also gravity bled the reara last night and had fluid then as well. Not sure what you mean by disconnecting the pedal? Are you taking about unscrewing the threaded rod from the clevice? Thanks again for the help.

MKIV - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:53 PM

I hope that you have your issues sorted by now, but if you don't... You want to make sure that the threaded rod coming out of the master cylinder doesn't need to be threaded farther into the block part of the balancing bar. If that rod doesn't reach the end of it's travel when your foot is off the brake pedal, it can't replace the fluid that you bled out. If that is properly adjusted and your reservoirs are higher than the master cylinders, get your credit card out. The pump in the master cylinder is probably shot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement