FFR 9457 Roadster build thread - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By sdonnel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

FFR 9457 Roadster build thread

Well, I hadn't planned on doing a build thread, as I planned to replicate what a lot of others have done previously. Having gotten a good start on the car has changed my mind. So, here goes. The first weekend, all the panels were fitted and drilled in preparation for powder coat. This past week, my brother and I modified the trunk area for the Russ Thompson trunk pan. Using the drawing provided, we were able to get things just as I had envisioned. Once the trunk was done, we welded some small pieces of flat steel into the forward floor area of the cockpit. The pieces were about 7 x 12 inches and fit nicely into the opening between the flat steel already installed and the 2 x 2 tubing that creates the drop foot box. Next up was mocking up the Breeze Roll bars. In an hours time, we had both bars set in place on the sleeves as well tack welded into position. In order to make sure the rear attach bolt would be under the body, I temporarily installed the rear cockpit sheet metal and placed a piece of 3/8" square tubing from the rear sheet metal to the trunk hoop holding the trunk hinges. With everything in place, we then drilled all the holes for the fasteners keeping in mind how much access I'll have during final assembly. My brother, the welder, did an amazing job completing the welds on the roll bars and left enough material for the metal finishers to work with prior to chrome plating. Last, but not least, I had him add some 3/4" x .125" wall tubing to the bar that the seat belts pass over. Each piece was placed vertically between the seat belt mounting points. We made sure they did not interfere with the sheet metal. So, for about $65 in square tubing and some flat stock, we made most of the changes. The roll bar kits from Mark Reynolds were very simple to install. Don't let them intimidate you if you're on the fence. They look incredible. This morning I cut the sheet metal in the trunk and drilled the rivet holes through three layers of material. Even with a few Clecos installed, it was very easy to see how much more room I'll have for the many things planned to travel with the car. I am planning to attach a few pics below, so stay tuned if they don't attach like I want them to.

Scott

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07184.jpg (249.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Trunk Pan.jpg (250.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Roll Bar.jpg (249.0 KB, 128 views)
chrisarella thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 02:27 AM
Man Cave Master Craftsman

Garage
Hello Scott,

Glad to see that you decided to go with the Breeze roll bars also your trunk mods are looking good!

Great start to your thread so keep posting, it does help move the build right along.

Saul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Editor's Choice
Go Cart
Best In Show Roadster & Best Paint
HP & Torque

Supercharged Coyote|Traction/Launch Control|PS|PB|ABS|IRS|3.73|TKO 600|Roush|Ford Racing|AEM|VMP|NRG|Speedhut|Ididit|Casey Design|Boyd|Spec|Quicktime|Eaton|Moroso|Mcleod|DSS |Unisteer|Aeromotive|Metco|StainlessHeader|Bowler| Spal|Wilwood|Earl's|Summit Lokar|Forte's|Thompson's|Everson's|Breeze|
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

The project continues as I wait for the powder coater to get finished. An old Fox Body 8.8 rear end is the next phase of the project. Having found one for $50, I was surprised to open it up and find no rust, a limited slip diff, and a 3.73 ratio. A few hours of removing brackets and scale makes for a good foundation for an etching primer. After installing new bearings, clutch packs, and axle shafts, it's ready for a test fit of the FFR brake kit. Once all the paint dried, it turned out pretty good. A last coat of touch up paint this weekend will allow me to install all the remaining hardware and set it off to the side awaiting installation.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2058.jpg (248.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2162.jpg (237.9 KB, 91 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:56 PM

Not sure if you did this or not but it's a good idea to weld your 3-link bracket.
They tend to slip and ruin your day if not welded.

2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Man Cave Master Craftsman

Garage
While your at it, replace the factory stamped steel cover with an aluminum reinforced differential cover with cap support. With higher fluid capacity and cap support it's a no brainer for strength and reliability.

Lots of different brands out there and I've seen them for the solid 8.8 for as little as $80.00

Be sure to use grade 8 bolts.

Saul

Here's mine.

Editor's Choice
Go Cart
Best In Show Roadster & Best Paint
HP & Torque

Supercharged Coyote|Traction/Launch Control|PS|PB|ABS|IRS|3.73|TKO 600|Roush|Ford Racing|AEM|VMP|NRG|Speedhut|Ididit|Casey Design|Boyd|Spec|Quicktime|Eaton|Moroso|Mcleod|DSS |Unisteer|Aeromotive|Metco|StainlessHeader|Bowler| Spal|Wilwood|Earl's|Summit Lokar|Forte's|Thompson's|Everson's|Breeze|
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. I was planning to have it welded once my welder (brother) comes off mandatory 12 hour days. As for the diff cover with the girdle, I had not realized the extra support this would provide. It will certainly be added in the next week. I appreciate your input.

Scott
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

As the build "start" date gets closer ( my son returns home), I've been working on little projects to get things ready. The biggest of those is the powder coating. Yesterday, I picked up the chassis and all the aluminum panels for the car. When we rolled the dolly out into the light, I was amazed. My son picked the color and I went with it. It was a local shop in the Toledo, OH area and they were very reasonable in their pricing. Needless to say, I'd give them a glowing recommendation if anyone local is considering them. The company name is Sharp Finishing. Can't say enough good about them and the quality of their work. If you're considering a color other than standard FFR black, I say go for it.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chassis Coat 1.jpg (262.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Chassis Coat 2.jpg (258.0 KB, 81 views)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Excellent color choice! Looks great.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

As it gets closer to my son returning home and the build really getting started, a friend and I decided to run the hard lines for the brakes. The front was pretty straight forward ( for my buddy). He managed to make a single piece from the left brake adapter to the right side with only about 8 inches of tube showing. We ran it in front of the X-member and tucked it around the vertical supports on the front end. Very clean. The rear actually turned out to be easier than the fronts once we changed out work angle. With a little lifting and support, the chassis sits nicely on it's side without wobbling. We placed the rear brake adapters in place and ran a string between the two for a centerline and then plumbed from the 3 way block adapter to the termination points. The rear line was tucked in the top left corner of the trans tunnel and sits nicely out of the way.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake Lines.jpg (250.7 KB, 68 views)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Today was the official first day of hanging parts on the chassis. My son returned Saturday from his active duty training in the Air National Guard. The first thing he did when he got home was to go into the garage to see the pre-work I had completed. So, today, along with a friend, we started on the suspension. As a group, we stepped through the drivers side and he was on his own for the passenger side. He had no problems. I guess a jet engine is a little more complex than a Cobra. Time will tell if that remains the case. One issue we ran into was trying to install the front sway bar. The instructions are pretty weak and I haven't had any luck finding photos. So, if you've installed the front sway bar and can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Later this week we will install the steering rack, rear end, and three link assembly.

And here's a pic to prove he's home. It was 55 in the garage.

Scott

Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Day of Build.jpg (252.9 KB, 77 views)
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:20 PM
Snake Farmer

Garage
Keep in mind a few fellows have had issues with the cast aluminum covers, and went back to the steel cover. (Issues with clearance to the trunk mounted battery box).
Maybe first ask in the forum classifieds, before ordering one, if anyone has one for sale. Might save a few bucks.
I'm sure there will be many other suggestions on how to spend your money, so save it whenever you can..
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:44 PM
FFCars Captain

Looking good Scott. Love the powder coat on the chassis. Nice to get it cleaned up and exactly like you want it before coating. You have these front end sway bar instructions? https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...YBAR-front.pdf. Seems like it covers everything. But let me know if any questions. It's not complicated. Is that a spindle adapter I see in one of the pictures? Using Mustang spindles instead of the Factory Five 2-piece spindles? Hope you and Zach have a good holiday build session.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Paul. Yes, you did spot the spindle adapter as I'm using the 96-04 spindle assembly from LMR. Nice units and they fit right in. Now that Zach is home, we're hauling boxes of parts out of the basement at a rapid pace. Next big decision is powertrain. Push rod motor or Coyote setup like you installed?? Many things to consider.

Scott
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

The project continues to move along nicely. We're at the point where the wire harness is going in and final decisions need to be made for routing wires. I want to keep a clean firewall, so the primary bundles will be going down through the 2x2 tubing across the dash. Last thing to decide is where to route the Fitech wires through to the dash as well. The choice of motor was decided by chance. While planning a very extensive build, I stumbled across a nearly complete motor and literally bought it for half what the original builder had in it. Specs are: 351 Windsor. Forged rotating assembly. AFR185 heads, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake. While these aren't all the details, due to the fact that the assembled motor was stored without an oil pan, it was decided to take it completely apart to start from scratch. A good friend is a retired Roush engine builder and was itching to get his hands on the motor. We tore it down and started looking at what was inside. Most of the machining work was to his expectations, with just a couple things needing more attention. We spent an hour knocking off burrs and chamfering oil drain holes. Chased all the threads and pulled all the plugs. My list of parts to finish the motor is still quote long, but no longer contains things like: Block, heads, rotating assembly. The transmission was ordered from Liberty Gear with the improved carbon fiber upgrade, mid-shift shifter, and to top it off a nice shifter for quick gear changes. I've included a couple pics of the engine and the work going into it.

Scott & Zach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2499.jpg (248.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2534.jpg (247.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2523.jpg (250.2 KB, 49 views)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

It's been a while since I posted a build update. Today's accomplishments were pretty big in my opinion. Got the car to roller status after having the 555G2's mounted on the FFR rims. To top the day off, we brought the engine home and while it was sitting there in the garage, I just had to set the Fitech on top to see how it looks. Throughout the rest of the week, I'll get the ACT clutch and flywheel mounted with the new transmission and Quick Time bellhousing. Target installation date for the driveline is this Sunday. Now that all the big pieces have finally arrived, I'm hoping the project will start moving a little faster. Attached are a couple pics to mark the day.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Complete Engine.jpg.jpg (253.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Roller.jpg.jpg (261.1 KB, 42 views)
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:20 AM
FFCars Captain

Wow, looking great Scott. I like everything you've done. Well, except that small pulley on the alternator. May want to do something different there.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

That pulley has yet to be made by CVF for the Mechman alternator. They’re going to machine a prototype and send it to me. I figure I’ve got a little more time before this monster comes to life.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

It's Alive

Work has been progressing since the last post and this weekend, first start was attempted. I say attempted because the Ford Racing starter was junk out of the box. Placed a new starter on the car last night and it fired up after a little jockeying of the distributor. Fitech worked like a charm given the little information I put into it. Driveshaft is laying on the floor and will go in tonight. Hoping to
go cart it this weekend. Once I get the video from my son, I'll try to get it posted.

Scott
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Go cart!!!!

With the assembly of the car starting on December 22nd, we've been working hard to get the car ready to HOPEFULLY make the London Cobra Show. We'll be in Gel Coat a

t a minimum, if the car makes it at all. State inspection is scheduled for the 31st of this month. Before any of that becomes a factor, we had to go cart it. After driving the car myself, I turned it over to my son who took it for a spin. All he said when he got out (and the camera was off), was "HOLY *&^% that is going to be insane".

Enjoy the video. We haven't stopped smiling yet.

Scott & Zach

https://youtu.be/vU11bjOXVbc
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:41 PM
FFCars Captain

Way to go Scott and Zach. You guys are flying on the build! Looks great. Hope to see it at London.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Paul. With all the little things I have planned, I'm hoping to have them all installed by London. The fitech is working great right out of the box. Small adjustments for the motor and the thing is like a microswitch. Just touch it and the motor winds up. My only unknown will be how long the state of Ohio takes in issuing the VIN once the inspection is done. Time will tell.

Scott
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Body is ON

Last week we go carted. Once we got the smiles off our face, we dug back in and got to work. Next thing on the list was to finish the electrical. My electrician (nephew) did an amazing job. He had everything working perfectly on the second try. Someone (me) blew a fuse while touching wires together that weren't meant to touch. Once we replaced the fuse, the results were amazing. I went with the Speedhut Revolution gauges and smooth billet buttons for the accessory systems. The headlight controller is mounted under the dash, so there are no switches or levers sticking out from the dash surface. Tonight we mounted the body. Once the body went on, we realized how small the trunk would have been had we not done Russ Thompson's trunk pan. If you are considering it, pull the trigger. Even if you don't cut the trunk brace, the space you gain is amazing. Getting to those rear body mount/quick jack bolts will require the tank to come down a little bit. Once my inspection is done, the body will come off and there will be nuts or nut plates welded on to the rear mounts to make final assembly easier for the future. I've added a couple of the usual pics of the milestone as well as one of the dash with the backlighting lit.

Now, it's back to the garage. 11 days to inspection.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Body Installed 1.jpg.jpg (26.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Body Installed 2.jpg.jpg (25.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Dash Panel.jpg (23.6 KB, 17 views)
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 AM

Scott: Looking great. read this on rear quick jacks. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-jack-mounting

for an easier option that is.

Duncan
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Well, the journey is almost complete. Just had my inspection and received a vin tag as well from the Troy, oh inspection station. Driving home with the biggest $hit eating grin ever.

Time for some road miles.

Sxott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement