Car Cover - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By phileas_fogg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Car Cover

A million years ago when I built my Mk III, I got an extremely good cover for the roadster from, I think, California Car Covers. I went on their site but all they have is the Sh***y Cobra cover for 289 or 427 and only single roll bar.
So maybe I was wrong. I tried searches on this forum with no results.
Who makes the best all weather (well not snow and sleet) car cover for the FFR Mk IV?

#7009 Mk 4
Ordered July 2018; Arrived Sept.12th, 2018
Roller Jan. 15th, 2019
First start April 9, 2019
Go-kart April 28, 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:28 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Many of us have used Car Cover World. The link provided below is to the web page for their FF custom fit covers. You can specify single or dual roll bars when ordering. They fit snug, but a lock is still recommended for windy conditions. The Weathershield covers are light, protect well, and roll up into a compact package. They had a sale for the Labor Day weekend which ended recently, but they have "sales" good for about 5% off on average every few months.

https://www.carcoverworld.com/factor...bra-car-covers

Alan

MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, 255/40-17 F 295/35-17 R Kumho XS, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.

New project, 1970 Mustang fastback restomod. Started 10/14/16.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:32 PM

After my cheepo car cover ripped up, I hit the forum looking for recommendations on car covers. In a moment of frustration and weakness, I spent the extra money and got the California Car Covers. If I was only using the cover in the garage, I would have just used another cheepo cover or even a bed sheet. I use the car cover when traveling and I wanted it to be rain proof as possible. Dealing with California Car Covers was easy and great. I ordered a single roll bar cover with a couple of clicks. They sent me emails when they were making the cover and when it shipped. It fits perfectly. I have never had a cover that was made for a car before, so I did not know how good it could be. I am not worried about it blowing off or puddling water in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang Man
Weathershield HP by Covercraft. I've had it for 10 years and still works great. Light, folds to a small package, and will keep rain off the car outdoors. Only downside is it will not protect from impacts like a padded cover...

HTH...
Mark

FFR5310RD
Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

2006: 2/14 Delivery by Stewart Transport, 8/15 becomes a roller, 8/26 drivetrain installed, 10/15 first engine start, 12/23 wiring completed, 12/31 body test fit

2007: 2/25 first go-cart, 4/15 leaves for paint, 8/24 paint prep begins, 12/10 paint work completed

2008: 1/7 home from paint, 2/1 titled, tagged, and insured, 3/15 interior complete, 6/2 alignment, 6/4 Graduation
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:23 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

I will 2nd what Mark said. "Weathershield HP" is a great cover. Used cover for many yrs. and miles, and smiles! Just saying---
HTH
Butch

This ain't no circus--and I don't need any clowns!

MKI #1437, EFI 347, Astro T-5, 3:55 8.8rr, and other upgrades--
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:45 PM
FFCars Craftsman

This one is nice & soft and has held up good Cobra 427 Car Cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (233.9 KB, 21 views)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
Does the Weathershield have heat panels sewn in so the cover won't melt on the pipes? Or do you guys know of any cover that has this? I visit a cabin in the mountains and the only place to park is under the trees. I always want to cover the car immediately but melted my last cover on the side pipes. Looking for a solution, but may need to have some sort of heat shield materiel sewn into the cover once I get it.

Thanks!

Bill

MK II, 410 stroker with a faceplated TKO with mid-shift. Vintage Wheels 15" Halibrand replicas with Billboards. Custom designed Aerospace Components billet brake system. Jeff "Da Bat" Miller custom paint. As seen on Street Outlaws, Chasing Classic Cars commercial with Wayne Carrini, Bad Ink on A&E, and several other commercial appearances. Yes my car is a camera whore!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:16 PM
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilwil View Post
Does the Weathershield have heat panels sewn in so the cover won't melt on the pipes? Or do you guys know of any cover that has this? I visit a cabin in the mountains and the only place to park is under the trees. I always want to cover the car immediately but melted my last cover on the side pipes. Looking for a solution, but may need to have some sort of heat shield materiel sewn into the cover once I get it.

Thanks!

Bill
No, it doesn't have any heat shields and yes contact with hot pipes would be bad. I personally haven't seen any that do. Seems would make them bulky to store compared to the small size they currently compress into. If I want to cover my car while the pipes are still hot, I can still put the cover on and stretch around the front and back. Just don't pull it all the way down on the sides. It's tight enough that it stays about the pipes. Then 30 minutes or so later, pull the rest of the way down. Works for me.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.
and

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:14 PM

With the DrummerMike heat shields on my side pipes, I find it take 10-15 mins to cool down enough to put the car cover on.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

Garage
What EdwardB said...

I place the cover and pull it down to a few inches above the pipes. The body shape (IE the "hips" keep the cover tight and it won't slide down and touch the pipes. Then when the pipes are cool to the touch I pull the cover the last bit to the bottom of the wheels, covering the side pipes...

Mark

FFR5310RD

2006: 2/14 Delivery by Stewart Transport, 8/15 becomes a roller, 8/26 drivetrain installed, 10/15 first engine start, 12/23 wiring completed, 12/31 body test fit

2007: 2/25 first go-cart, 4/15 leaves for paint, 8/24 paint prep begins, 12/10 paint work completed

2008: 1/7 home from paint, 2/1 titled, tagged, and insured, 3/15 interior complete, 6/2 alignment, 6/4 Graduation
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:08 PM
FFCobra Website Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch B View Post
I will 2nd what Mark said. "Weathershield HP" is a great cover. Used cover for many yrs. and miles, and smiles! Just saying---
HTH
Butch
Which WeatherShield HP are you guys choosing? The Cobra or AC Cobra isn't available in the pulldown selections. I don't want to order the wrong one. Thanks guys.
-Greg

65 MKIII
4.6L T-5 trans
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantacobra View Post
Which WeatherShield HP are you guys choosing? The Cobra or AC Cobra isn't available in the pulldown selections. I don't want to order the wrong one. Thanks guys.
-Greg
This is the one you're after: https://www.carcoverworld.com/coverc...thershield-ffr.

Note that the Weathershield HP, though extremely water repellant, is quite thin. Almost like a high quality umbrella. If you want your cover to protect against the occasional ding, you'll need a thicker material. I chose the Noah, but it's much more bulky than the Weathershield. If you've got any doubts, order a sample of the material you're considering.

John
Atlantacobra thanked this.

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

Garage
Indeed, that's why I mentioned that very thing in my post. John, it is like a tent or umbrella material, but I knew that going in. I wanted the most water/rain protection possible and not concerned about "dings" being a fiberglass body (much more so with an aluminum body or on a steel bodied car). The cover rolls/folds up very compactly for the small trunks we have. The standard padded cover (I've used the Noah on my '66 Mustang) would almost fill the trunk! Ha!

Mark

FFR5310RD

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Has anyone every used a compression pack for the car cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement