South Africa Soft Top - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 10Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:33 AM

Started the process.

So after seeing the pics that Jay put up I was convinced this top is the one I'm getting. But first things first. To get the roll bar to 450 mm (17.72") I need to lower my bar 2 5/16". I dropped the hoop and now I'm working on the brace tube. I cut the body opening, but still need to do a little tweaking on the angle. May have to modify and fabricate the base.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbohrs View Post
So after seeing the pics that Jay put up I was convinced this top is the one I'm getting. But first things first. To get the roll bar to 450 mm (17.72") I need to lower my bar 2 5/16". I dropped the hoop and now I'm working on the brace tube. I cut the body opening, but still need to do a little tweaking on the angle. May have to modify and fabricate the base.
I lowered my roll bar 1". I contacted David Corlett at SoftToppers. He calls out a max of 450mm for the rollbar height from top of door. Mine now measures 463mm. He said we were good to go since our factory roll bars sit a little farther forward and don't have a rear sweep.

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Man Cave Master Craftsman

Garage
The top looks like great! hopefully it fits as well on a MK4, I'll wait to see how it fits once your finished but for now I'm putting it on my wait and see to do list for later this year.

Thanks for posting, I'll be keeping on eye out on this thread.

Saul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Editor's Choice
Go Cart
Best In Show Roadster & Best Paint
HP & Torque

Supercharged Coyote|Traction/Launch Control|PS|PB|ABS|IRS|3.73|TKO 600|Roush|Ford Racing|AEM|VMP|NRG|Speedhut|Ididit|Casey Design|Boyd|Spec|Quicktime|Eaton|Moroso|Mcleod|DSS |Unisteer|Aeromotive|Metco|StainlessHeader|Bowler| Spal|Wilwood|Earl's|Summit Lokar|Forte's|Thompson's|Everson's|Breeze|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 PM

I should have called I guess, I'm now at 447mm. So I imagine lowering by 1" probably saved you quite a bit of fabricating. Unlike what I've gone thru in the past 2 days.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 PM

On the way!
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Here's mine

Finished!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mk1_SOA3.jpg (87.9 KB, 23 views)
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Man Cave Master Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbohrs View Post
Finished!
And what do you think? how is the fit and finish? how easy or difficult was it to install? inquiry minds want to know!

Saul

Editor's Choice
Go Cart
Best In Show Roadster & Best Paint
HP & Torque

Supercharged Coyote|Traction/Launch Control|PS|PB|ABS|IRS|3.73|TKO 600|Roush|Ford Racing|AEM|VMP|NRG|Speedhut|Ididit|Casey Design|Boyd|Spec|Quicktime|Eaton|Moroso|Mcleod|DSS |Unisteer|Aeromotive|Metco|StainlessHeader|Bowler| Spal|Wilwood|Earl's|Summit Lokar|Forte's|Thompson's|Everson's|Breeze|
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:42 PM

Level of difficulty

Jay from Jersey started the thread and detailed a bit of what he had done. The instructions, pictures and videos from Soft Top Trimmers are very detailed and Dave (the owner) is always quick to answer questions. The material is called German canvas and it is very robust and looks good installed. I did struggle with getting rid of the wrinkles, but that said I finally did work it out to my satisfaction. The fit and finish is really up to how much time you want to take checking and rechecking. All in all I'm very happy with the outcome.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:37 PM

Looks similar to my Whitby softop. Although I couldn't get all the wrinkles out of mine. Sure nice on a cold day though. Nice job. It looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement