Powder coating - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Jacob Adcock
  • 1 Post By DRUMMERMIKE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Powder coating

How much should powder coating all aluminum cost? I just got quoted over $2k! Seems high to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 02:29 AM

I paid about 400 Canadian including all the steel stuff like parking brake and hinges.
Find the guys with big ovens that do big gates and fences. I had 2 similar quotes and one crazy one.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 03:23 AM
FFCars Captain

Um yea... That's way out of line. Somewhere in the $500 - 800 range for everything at the upper end. Depends on your area, family deals, etc. Do it in as big of batches as possible. That helps with the cost.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 01:20 PM
Cobra Colorist

I fully agree with edwardb. I would like to add.....are you showing them a picture or taking the parts with you so they can see them....powder coaters are like painters, a little more visual. In most cases they bead blast steel parts and the aluminum they just wipe down for oils. You leave the floors and rear cockpit/trans tunnel out and just do fire-wall and foot boxes...da Bat

Drink me handsome and take me home....Bartender, I'd like to buy the little lady a drink...better make it a double.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

The place I brought it to has a 60 ft oven and they have the parts so they can see what they were getting into. Now they have all aluminum...guess I could take the cockpit aluminum out but I wanted all to be uniform. I thought the price was high from what I saw in past threads. I'm talking to the GM today and if he isn't going to come down on price, I'll look elsewhere. Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
I fully agree with edwardb. I would like to add.....are you showing them a picture or taking the parts with you so they can see them....powder coaters are like painters, a little more visual. In most cases they bead blast steel parts and the aluminum they just wipe down for oils. You leave the floors and rear cockpit/trans tunnel out and just do fire-wall and foot boxes...da Bat
Good advice, as the floor, trans tunnel, and cockpit wall are covered by carpet. I just rattled can the outsides black. Dynamat went under the carpet.

Doug
FFR7995
MK IV
Prestige Motorsports 347 SBF, Moser 8.8 (3.31), 3 link, TKO 600,hydraulic clutch, PS, Heat/AC, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555s,
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Not a waxer

That's crazy; about 2X the highest I've ever heard which was for everything and still considered high. When you get a quote that far out of whack what they're really saying is "I don't want to do the job...but if you'll pay my jacked up price I will."

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 01:37 PM

Way Too Expensive

I had all my aluminum panels powder coated for less than $400, but that was 7 years ago. The thought behind doing them all was that the powder coated surface would provide a more stable surface for adhesion of Dynamat, undercoating, and silicon. Aluminum does corrode, especially when it's in contact with other metals and water.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 04:33 AM

Garage
I did every panel and paid $850.

Chris

Coyote 5.0, T56, IRS, Torsen Diff, PS, Wilwoods, Hydraboost PB + ABS, & tons more extras.
Arrived 12/18/2011. More info, full parts list, financials, and progress-tracking on my
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:51 AM

I bought a cheap powder coat tool for about $100 and a homemade oven for about $30. Does a fine job. I wouldn’t pay that kind of money unless you just had to! Get all kinds of powder coatings on Amazon.

txdad thanked this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 04:25 AM

I did the under hood panels and foot boxes, paid $300. The rest I used spray cans
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Send a message via MSN to DRUMMERMIKE
If you decide to powder coat your panels, be sure the coater you use sand/bead blasts them, (not to the point of warping them). The place I used to work at did all of EdwardB's panels, and I think it was about$1K. It's a lot of work. Don't trust solvent washing or phosphate. You need to profile the surface to make any coating stick. Silver colors need to be clear coated because "most" are not UV stable. Mike
Toadster thanked this.

WHT/SILV, 351W/325HP, Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake, 70MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, Pro-M MAF, 4 wheel disc, flame maple dashboard,\'71 block,\Pro Comp 190 Aluminum heads. Custom silver/grey interior, Halibrand look wheels. Supplier of Solid Stainless Steel Heat Shields
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:06 AM

Pmastio that is an insane price. My buddy up here in Canada, where we pay double only paid 400. Keep shopping.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:39 PM

I paid about $600 for all mine.

Chuck Krueger
Conesus, NY
MK IV Kit - Picked up 4/5/14
First Start - 7/25/15
Coyote, TKO500, Wilwoods, Solid Rear Axle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement