SB100 registration started, what can I schedule? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

SB100 registration started, what can I schedule?

I got my car put together and started the registration. After 4 hours at the DMV, i got a pile of paperwork and a temporary operating permit.

They told me to contact CHP for a VIN inspection as the next step. The next available appointment wasn't until April 9th. Now I'm worried my temp permit will expire before I get through the process.

I need to complete a brake and light inspection as well as the smog inspection, then a final trip to the DMV.

I don't have info on the brake and light or smog inspections. My question is, who do I schedule these items with and how do I find them in my area? Can I schedule these directly after the CHP inspection, but before the inspection is complete? Or will they require the inspection complete before putting me on the schedule? My goal is to have this done so the car can make it to the Huntington beach show at the end of April. Any advice for getting through this would be helpful.

Thanks

Matt

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180303_102942_1521040876040.jpg (258.9 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Well Used Member

Here's my process (saga) from last year. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-Registration

Mine was an SB-100 process, hence, just a closed system PCV setup.

I would say make all your appointments now. I started with the CHP, then the BAR, and then light/brake inspection. The guy at the BAR was a bit miffed that I didn't have the light/brake inspection done when I went to see him. He said that he is the last in line, but went ahead and passed me anyway.

I put in some links for the BAR, and tips for the light/brake insp. in my link. Most (if not all) of the BAR's in So. Calif. are at the colleges around here.

Of note, the brake inspection was basically a visual inspection of the components (no driving). Others have had to drive/stop the car. He did want to see my back-up light on mine, where others were not asked or required to have it. Since I have an electric parking brake, he wanted to see the 'Parking Brake On' indicator light, which luckily I added on my own (was not part of the actuator system.) Bottom line, seems there is no common thread on what or if the inspector will require or want to see.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

The DMV can provide an extension to the TOP, unfortunately you would need to request in in person. With the CHP inspection 3 weeks away, it is unlikely you will get all the inspections done before the TOP expires. You could call the CHP office and see if there is an opportunity to reschedule sooner given when your TOP expiration date. As I understand it, the order of inspections requires CHP first, then BAR. Not all DMVs request the brake and light. No reason you could not perform the brake and light inspection as soon as you can. You need to take the car to a authorized Brake and Light inspection station. Just check local yellow pages to locate one. In my case, the local shop only performed a couple of brake and light inspections each day, so the appointment was about a week out from when I called.

Good luck, you will get through it, just takes time.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 03:15 AM
Thinking of purchase

Boat I cant believe he passed you! It is the law in California Vehicle code you have to have a mechanical Ebrake! That's why every new car has one in Cali! LOL

I am in the process as well, I broke a valve spring so I got an extension which DMV gave me, BAR is on mon. hope it doesn't rain or I will have to reschedule!!

Last edited by Firesnake; 03-15-2018 at 06:02 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 03:59 AM
Tool Collector

One thing that has NOT changed in all the years for the SPCNS registration is that the CHP is your first stop for inspections. That is because CHP assigns the VIN and all the other inspections need the VIN # to be completed. The other thing that does not change is that at the Cal. DMV is; you can ask a question at the window and get one answer, step right two steps to the next window and get another answer. Neither answer will be the same. Good luck.

Frank
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 04:46 AM
Well Used Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesnake View Post
Boat I cant believe he passed you! It is the law in California Vehicle code you have to have a mechanical Ebrake! That's why every new car has one in Cali! LOL
Who knew? I didn't. And if anyone asks, I still don't. Excuse me, I have to go hide my car now...

(And considering I built the car, I can't believe anyone passed me.)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:48 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Unless things have changed, the label the BAR puts on your firewall wears very easily. In fact, one good wipe with acetone will wipe it clean. (OOPS.)

People have gone to the UPS store and bought clear tape were a barcode would scan through.

At the BAR, a common small thing people fail for is their PCV and/or closed-loop system. Check into what’s required for your engine setup.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 02:09 AM
Well Used Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
Unless things have changed, the label the BAR puts on your firewall wears very easily. In fact, one good wipe with acetone will wipe it clean. (OOPS.)

People have gone to the UPS store and bought clear tape were a barcode would scan through.

At the BAR, a common small thing people fail for is their PCV and/or closed-loop system. Check into whats required for your engine setup.
I just put a plate over the sticker. (the tech put it on crooked anyway, I can't stand to see it.) If someone wants to inspect the sticker, the plate comes off.

Also, the hose from the PCV, and the breather, has to be fuel line, not water hose. Heard lots of folks failed for that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1556 small.jpg (138.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Boat737; 03-16-2018 at 02:15 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

So my CHP appointment is as early as they can get me in. I called the BAR and they won't schedule me until after thw CHP assigns a VIN and I get my sequence number from the DMV. At this point i don't even know who does thw brake and light inspection in my area. The car is located outside of Bakersfield, nothing comes up when I do a search. Its going to take me 3 months to get this thing registered. Individuals have built the car in less time. My real beef is they make you pay tax and registration up front. This should happen right before they give you the plates. No sooner.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:37 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Try the link below, should help you find B&L inspection station near you.

https://brakeandlampinspection.com/

Have you considered trying other DMV offices nearby. When I had my CHP inspection done, I could have selected from a 2 or 3, just chose the closest one. My wait was only about a week, not several weeks as with your appointment. Another thought would to be ask if they ever have cancellations and could you be notified if they do.

Alan

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBitten14 View Post
So my CHP appointment is as early as they can get me in. I called the BAR and they won't schedule me until after thw CHP assigns a VIN and I get my sequence number from the DMV. At this point i don't even know who does thw brake and light inspection in my area. The car is located outside of Bakersfield, nothing comes up when I do a search. Its going to take me 3 months to get this thing registered. Individuals have built the car in less time. My real beef is they make you pay tax and registration up front. This should happen right before they give you the plates. No sooner.
If it's too long, call a CHP that's out of town to see if they can get you in sooner. I got lucky when i drove my car into California. I was able to see the CHP right a way without an appointment in Needles. I honestly don't think they had anything else going on because initially they told me i needed an appointment. Even then he wanted to make the appointment for Monday morning, and I was calling on Friday morning. Eventually he conceded to see me right a way.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement