Lots of Plans for the Driving Season..... - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 2Thanks
  • 1 Post By MPTech
  • 1 Post By JKleiner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Lots of Plans for the Driving Season.....

Tis the season to set goals again. And I have several with my optimistic attitude in full gear.

1st - A little bit of Autocross. I am in gokart stage, and am ready to learn how to drive this car. Autocross season starts in a few weeks, and maybe I can get on the track in the next few months.

2nd - Spring Cruise. Goal is to have it registered by the first of May. I can have a lot of the work done, and get it on the road to participate on a spring cruise.

3rd - Hot Rod Power Tour 2018 Reservations have been made in every city, and planning to do the Long Haul. This is really my push to get it registered and on the road. The tour is coming around my neck of the woods and is something that I'd like to try once.

4th - London Cobra Show. Reservations have been made for this as well, but it is the weekend after the Power Tour wraps up. I might be "out of gas" by then. But thinking positive, the reservations have been made at the Hampton Inn

I have a lot to do. But I can see the end of the tunnel for Electrical, and that has been biggest challenge.

See ya'll on the road!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 06:28 PM
FFCars Captain

Garage
Pretty ambitious, but do-able. Hope you have an Iron Butt.
I licensed mine in April 2013, then my dad (80 years old) and I headed to London Cobra Show in June, REALLY enjoyed it and no issues (except a Downpour that held us up less than 100 miles from home for about 3 hours).
The PowerTour will be a challenge! Many miles of driving over multiple days, and LOTS of traffic. I've worked the PowerTour @ Gateway near St. Louis, the last 3 years and on a warm day there was a LOT of overheating problems.
My suggestion: get it licensed asap, take as many short trips as possible, gradually increasing the distance, to work out the bugs. (I also ran it out of gas once, just to know how far the needle goes when empty. I had a 2 gallon tank of gas in the trunk)
Make sure you are comfortable (I add a seat cushion for long trips). Wearing a hoodie helps with the wind buffeting (worse than the exhaust noise). Pack an emergency road kit (recommend an extinguisher & fix-a-flat). I also pack a first-aid kit with a snake-bite kit I put together (burn cream, patch, and tape).

Good Luck, it will be a BLAST! (btw, who's riding shotgun on the long trips?)

DadofThree thanked this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
(btw, who's riding shotgun on the long trips?)
My Dad will be along for the ride on the Power Tour. My wife and I will start with some shorter trips in the spring. I have heard about the traffic and heat with the Power Tour. I'm guessing/hoping my little stock 302 with a pull fan through a shroud with an aluminum radiator will be fine.

Thank you very much for the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 AM
FFCars Captain

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
My Dad will be along for the ride on the Power Tour. My wife and I will start with some shorter trips in the spring. I have heard about the traffic and heat with the Power Tour. I'm guessing/hoping my little stock 302 with a pull fan through a shroud with an aluminum radiator will be fine.

Thank you very much for the tips.
Taking my Dad was GREAT! In fact we went back again the next year!! He really enjoyed it and so did I!
I think you'll be ok with the stock 302, and aluminum radiator & shroud. That's what I'm running and never had an issue with overheating. Make sure you check your hose clamps! I blew off one of the stock ones in my garage, no harm done, but it did make a mess. Better there than the hi-way! O, also check your header bolts, MULTIPLE times. I lost one on the way to London and 2 more loosened up, after about 5k miles! Blew out my exhaust gasket in the process. Could have EASILY been avoided though.

Good Luck with taking your wife on an over-nite cruise! I've only done it once and getting all of her STUFF in the trunk was a real trick! (I had to leave some of mine at home. (Now, I'VE gone on a trip for 1 week without her and manged all of my stuff, a car-cover, cooler, and folding chair. My dad & I went for 3 days and fit all of our stuff as well! Just saying )
To be honest, we did go on 2 long-hauls that I trailered it. (she did mange to take a LOT of stuff, but we had plenty of room) Texas & South Dakota, LOVED both trips!

DRIVE IT!!!!!!!! Good Luck!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Hot Rod Power Tour Registration Complete!
Getting Nervexited!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:20 AM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

We're planning on hitting the Power Tour this year too but it will be in my 1980 Mustang Cobra! We did the long haul in 2016 in a 1993 Mustang Cobra. We are in CT so it was quite a ride to Baton Rouge for the start. Ended up being 4000 miles when we finally pulled back in the driveway! I will look for you!

Mike
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8Cobra View Post
We're planning on hitting the Power Tour this year too but it will be in my 1980 Mustang Cobra! .... I will look for you!

Mike
Great! I look forward to meeting you.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:46 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
Hot Rod Power Tour Registration Complete!
Getting Nervexited!
If you don't have a top, get an umbrella for "potential" water droplets. I hear they come in Large, X-Large and XX-Large around there.

Heck, you might even need some scuba gear.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
Aside from the power tour discussion, I Plan some of my bigger track and HPDE events early to get time off from work. This year the Glen in early June, Mid-Ohio end of May, and possibly VIR in the Fall.

Always cruise nights, cars & coffee, tours, and other fun stuff.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
If you don't have a top, get an umbrella for "potential" water droplets. I hear they come in Large, X-Large and XX-Large around there.

Heck, you might even need some scuba gear.
Will do. I have the visual of Wade with the Scuba gear in my mind when you mention that.

My Dad is a fun guy who is always up for anything. I mentioned the rain to him too, and he is unfazed. "It's all part of the experience" he says. I'm with him.

We get a lot of 4-7pm afternoon showers in the South. I expect that is what we will be dealing with most of the time. We'll make adjustments and everything will be fine. I am planning on a tonneau cover for evenings (and drain holes for the days)

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Wow! Line in the sand. That's how you do it!

Get some miles in before heading out on a big tour. Every car needs some shakedown.

I got mine on the road and immediately did a DSCC cruise.
1. The car was flooding every time we stopped. Turned out to be the Cobra oval air cleaner sitting on the carb vents. Taller filter fixed it.
2. Went full throttle and BOOM cloud of smoke, oiled down the windscreen of the guy behind me . I thought I blew my engine. It just popped the dipstick out. Ring seating time and a locking dipstick fixed that.

It was nice finally meeting you up in Beaufort. I look forward to cruising with you and doing some autocross. Dennis and I come up your way for Roebling Road events, so with Dan, there are three Cobras. Now you will make four. Let me know when you are hitting the track. My group runs at Amelia Island (Fernandina Beach Airport) every month if you get down south a little further.

I have to get my butt to the garage and do my pre-season nut and bolt check....
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
Get some miles in before heading out on a big tour. Every car needs some shakedown.

It was nice finally meeting you up in Beaufort. I look forward to cruising with you and doing some autocross. Dennis and I come up your way for Roebling Road events, so with Dan, there are three Cobras. Now you will make four. Let me know when you are hitting the track. My group runs at Amelia Island (Fernandina Beach Airport) every month if you get down south a little further.
Thanks Chris. Truth be told, I drew the same line in the sand for last summer's events. But i feel better about this one.

It was great to meet you and Dennis also. I've talked to Dan a little about getting out there with you guys one day.

I took the car for a go kart today, and was left on the side of the road due to an electrical issue involving the fuel pump. We were able to drive it home eventually and it's back in the garage. I'll be doing some shakedowns.

Dad and I are excited about the trip. He was here today, and we did a little go karting together. Lights are getting together. Fronts are done.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Hot Rod Power Tour Route has been released

I'm still on track to be able to attend in an unrefined build. But don't care, and am looking forward to it. The only thing that I really feel worry, is the lack of epoxy sealer that I have on the body. Once I can figure out how to get that done, I'll feel a lot better.

Come join in:
The Official Route of HOT ROD Power Tour 2018 [Download + Google Maps] - Hot Rod Network
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

When you can check the weather of your destination, but the car's not ready yet!

LET'S GET IT TOGETHER!!

Who else is going on the Power Tour with me??

Bowling Green, KY 10-Day Forcast

20180528_203130 by D. R., on Flickr
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

WE'RE READY FOR THE HOT ROD POWER TOUR! Still got a lot of "trim" fit things to do, and plenty to do tonight. But I'm ready to take the trip. I've put 300+ miles on her and am confident in the car.

I'll have plenty of work to do on the car when getting home after the trip, but she's driveable and heading out in the morning!

SEE ATTACHED FOR DRIVING ROUTE

20180602_115019 by D. R., on Flickr

20180602_194533 by D. R., on Flickr
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hot-Rod-Power-Tour-2018-LARGE-PRINT-Directions (1).pdf (235.0 KB, 6 views)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Not a waxer

Good luck Dave---sounds like you're ready! I've got a couple of buddies in for the long haul and have told them to keep an eye out and look you up!

Update us daily if you can

Jeff
DadofThree thanked this.

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

First leg of the tour. Got my first rain, and got very wet. No problem though, we just powered through it. I need larger drain holes though. Lots of traffic and long lines in hot weather at the venue. The car stayed at 180* with no problems. We got to Chattanooga and the weather was great. We're having fun and love seeing all off the different cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8Cobra View Post
We're planning on hitting the Power Tour this year too but it will be in my 1980 Mustang Cobra!
Mike, are you out here?

Last edited by DadofThree; 06-11-2018 at 03:48 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Second day of the tour was very nice. Beautiful roads, not much traffic and TONS of people lining the streets. Alabama definitely showed up. The venue was nice and was quick to get in and parked. Dad and I are having a great time. We picked up some Frogg Togg rain wear today in case of rain. Now that we bought it, it won't rain. Fine either way.

Tomorrow we head to Hampton, GA. Car is running great and has 1,500 miles on her now. I'm thrilled about all of the items that I put on the car to be comfortable. Large footbox, cruise control, removable cup holders, seat coolers, usb, 15" wheels, new tires, professional alignment, 2" camlock harness, grip spray on the bare aluminum on floor and transmission cover, cubby, trunk mod. Every one of those features has played a great part of this trip, and have been thankful for each of those items. Well worth the time it took.

The car is surprisingly comfortable, and is a hit on the tour.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:24 AM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Hey Dave,
Sorry I missed ya on the tour, we looked at a lot of Cobras but nobody was around any of them. Here is how our tour played out! I picked up an 89 GT to take on the tour, it needed a little paint work so I got done what I could before paint, was supposed to only be there a week but ended up being 2-1/2 weeks. That left me 3 days to get it ready. We got a lot done in that 3 days and hit the road Friday morning. Only made it about an hour and a half and she pushed out all the water and overheated. We refilled and continued on with the cap loose, only made it another 10 miles til it was empty again. Turned back for home to pick up our plan B 88 Mustang LX. Back on the road by 8pm drove through the night with a 1 hour rest break and made Bowling Green by 1 to check in for the tour. Made the rest of the journey troublefree. Some crazy roads out there in Tennessee and Alabama, couldnt believe the dropoffs with no guide rails. Great time, we are looking forward to it again next year. How was the ride in the Cobra, it must have been hot. Maybe we can hook up next year!!!!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement