Engine puking out of radiator cap...does this seem like a blown head gasket? - Page 6 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 7Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Thanks guys, excited to (hopefully) get the rebuild started soon.

Looks like AFR doesnít list a stud kit on their website. I think itís because their heads are 1/2Ē, and the block is 7/16Ē threads, therefore the use of the stepped bolt kit. Iíll do some more searching.
You should be able to find some sleeves for the AFR's that take them down to 7/16. I think that some of the edelbrock heads had the same issue at one time.

EDIT: ARP makes a sleeve set, they call them bushings. Jegs and summit also have them available in Trick Flow and AFR brands.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...-8598/overview

Last edited by Derald Rice; 05-27-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:55 AM
FFCobra Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivank View Post
Did the heads on my 351 windsor last year. All went well until start up. Ran like crap. Sprayed motor with throttle body cleaner and discovered major leak from the front and rear of the valve covers. Used felpro gasket set which comes in four pieces- both sides, front and back. Moral of the story- throw out the front and rear gaskets and use a good amount of grey gasket seal.. Problem solved.
I will just add to be careful how much silicone you use. I lay the intake side gaskets in place dry and then carefully lay the manifold in place. Then I look at the gap between manifold and block. In my case it is a maximum of 1/16 inch so not much silicone needed. A couple of years ago there was one FFRr who kept having leaking intake gaskets. He finally realized that there was actually a slight interference, block to intake, so the intake was not being pulled tight at the intake gaskets because the block was holding it off the heads slightly.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #153 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:40 PM

Studs do a great job securing cylinder heads. But I'd be surprised if you could get the heads off with the engine in the car. You have to pull the heads straight off the studs and I can't imaging doing that without running into the footboxes. Great news on finding the correct head gaskets, you just may be able to enjoy driving your car this year.

Glen

Coupe 0652-408W/510 hp-TKO600 .64OD-3.73 TractionLok-3 Link-26x10 front 26x12 15" Mickey Thompson-Heat and A/C- Complete Kit-First Start 7/10/15 First Go Kart 8/15/15 Painted 11/12/16 Titled and Registered 3/24/17 Legally on the road 4/20/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 165 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsides9 View Post
Studs do a great job securing cylinder heads. But I'd be surprised if you could get the heads off with the engine in the car. You have to pull the heads straight off the studs and I can't imaging doing that without running into the footboxes. Great news on finding the correct head gaskets, you just may be able to enjoy driving your car this year.

Glen
OK...... I'll say it again.....When you remove the heads you simply remove the nuts, then backout the studs , and lift the heads off. Same procedure as if you used head bolts.
post #155 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

Frig. Just about ready for the rebuild. Heads checked out ok for flatness. Iíve pretty much got all the surfaces cleaned and a tap run down the block threads.

FFR4462K MKII
331 Dual 390CFM Holley Quads, AFR 185s, Comp Cams XE274HR
315 Mod, IRS, FR500s, Power Cobra Brakes, Manual Steering

'68 Mustang Hardtop, 302, C4
post #156 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

Progress...

FFR4462K MKII

post #157 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

After two long days, success! Initially the car had a tough time starting, until I rotated the dizzy a lot. I think I may have an arcing issue inside the distributor. I had a similar thing happen and leave me stuck for a few hours last summer.

So, some tuning ahead and some heat cycles, fingers crossed that the puking and smoking is cured.

FFR4462K MKII

post #158 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

https://youtu.be/ujpJ_6DP3BQ

Can’t figure out how to embed it!

FFR4462K MKII

Last edited by Redfish; 07-16-2018 at 02:00 AM.
post #159 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:21 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Congratulations

Sounds great. Hope it's all sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
https://youtu.be/ujpJ_6DP3BQ

Canít figure out how to embed it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands
First Start 05/23/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First GoCart 05/23/2015
post #160 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Junior Charter Member

Late to the party here, and didn't read thru all the posts. But it looks like your vacuum advance is not hooked up in the vid. You need to be hooked up, and to full manifold vac, not the timed port vacuum. I just rebuilt mine and fired it up a couple days ago, had it hooked up to timed port vac by mistake. No advance at idle, had to really dial in extra timing with the dizzy to start it and keep it running at idle, like you. Reset timing, car would idle but got extremely hot very quickly and overflowed the rad cap, due to overheating from retarded timing at idle. Did some research, hooked up to full manifold vac, now have timing advance at idle, runs cool and strong, all is good.

FFR6653 - 3.1 complete delivered 6/10/08, first start 2/18/2009, go-kart 3/31/09, titled 12/7/2011, 331 DSS short block, Holley Street HP650 DP/Vic Jr intake, Edel RPM 2.02 heads, XE282HR, 3.55, TKO600 .64OD midshift, 3 link, badass black, fat 15's on Team3's, Boig QuietPipes
post #161 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

Thanks, yep it runs! Still tbd if Iíve solved the coolant issue. Hope to get some time on it over the next week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
Sounds great. Hope it's all sorted out.

FFR4462K MKII

post #162 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

Yeah, no vacuum advance hooked up, but shouldnít be needed for setting initial timing. #1 Piston was at TDC and distributor was clocked to the #1 position on the cap. I donít think itís off by a tooth on the cam gear, but may have to double check that. I havenít had a chance to check timing, but that will be telling too.

Just ordered a new distributor cap tonight, so hopefully thatís the cure for starting. More to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcondos View Post
Late to the party here, and didn't read thru all the posts. But it looks like your vacuum advance is not hooked up in the vid. You need to be hooked up, and to full manifold vac, not the timed port vacuum. I just rebuilt mine and fired it up a couple days ago, had it hooked up to timed port vac by mistake. No advance at idle, had to really dial in extra timing with the dizzy to start it and keep it running at idle, like you. Reset timing, car would idle but got extremely hot very quickly and overflowed the rad cap, due to overheating from retarded timing at idle. Did some research, hooked up to full manifold vac, now have timing advance at idle, runs cool and strong, all is good.

FFR4462K MKII

post #163 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcondos View Post
... You need to be hooked up, and to full manifold vac, not the timed port vacuum...
While there is some valid reasoning for using manifold vac, it doesn't work for every situation. Whether vac advance is connected to the timed or manifold port depends on a lot of parameters. I don't think a blanket statement that every engine should use manifold vac advance is a good idea.
gsides9 and railroad thanked this.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #164 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

Over the past few days, I've been able to pull it out of the garage and let it idle for a bit. Got the distributor cap swapped out and reset the timing. In addition to the cap being suspect, appears I was 'off by a tooth'! I can't believe that still happens after the number of times I've pulled out the distributor. Running about 13 degrees initial timing, ~900 RPMs at idle. I got in a 30 minute drive as well.

I really think I fixed the coolant issue, here's why:
- No puking so far
- After the few heat cycles, the coolant is right at the top of the Harrison tank; and there is coolant in the overflow tank
- After about an hour of cool-down, the hoses are soft (before the system would stay pressurized)

Another benefit is that I think I did a better job on preloading the lifters. The valvetrain is much quieter, no ticking.

Seems I may have a new issue to solve. After my drive yesterday, had oil pooling up on top of each side of the timing cover. This was not an issue before. I know a laid a thick bead of silicone across the oil galley (no gasket), but hoping I went far enough up on each side. I'll be keeping an eye on it, and hope I don't have to pull the intake (again!).

FFR4462K MKII

post #165 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 AM
Junior Charter Member

good to hear you got a handle on it, yep sounded like retarded timing.
When I installed my intake, I laid down the silicone, then set manifold in place (using intake bolts with heads cut off as guides), quickly removed it and checked if the silicone contacted the entire sealing surface (which it didn't!) then added a touch more silicone and dropped it back on. Also did you make sure the dizzy had the O-ring on the shaft in place before installing it?

FFR6653 - 3.1 complete delivered 6/10/08, first start 2/18/2009, go-kart 3/31/09, titled 12/7/2011, 331 DSS short block, Holley Street HP650 DP/Vic Jr intake, Edel RPM 2.02 heads, XE282HR, 3.55, TKO600 .64OD midshift, 3 link, badass black, fat 15's on Team3's, Boig QuietPipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement