FITECH on the racetrack - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
Thumbs up FITECH on the racetrack

Finally got the car out for four days on three tracks, and all I can say is "DAMN!!!" I am converted.

MY set-up:
331 CI, roller cam, air gap manifold, Carter 7psi elec pump at tank
412 HP at crank on a dyno
Carter 7 PSI elec feul pump back by tank
FITECH 600HP and Fuel Commander
RCI aluminum fuel cell with foam internal blocks for fuel slosh control

I was recommended to use the fuel commander since I am on track more than the street. As promised, It always had a ready supply of fuel pressure, never missed a beat. I did try to work with some of the adjustable parameters, made some small improvements.

I gave it the real hard test at Watkins Glen the last two days, high speed, hard corners, never faltered. And easy to start!

Some additional observations:
It pulls alot of elec power. Make sure your electrical system and alternator output is good and have capacity
With the proper mixture, no longer padded by a "fat" carb, the engine made more oil temperature as it was working better and harder. For the track, an oil cooler is a MUST.
Still pay attention to your fuel tank and fuel slosh. It helps keep the FITECH full of fuel.

And, under my air cleaner assembly, you cannot even tell I am running FI!

So nice not to curse a carburetor!

Dan

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, Engine #4 - 331 CI 465 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
BTW, ran it on:

Summit Point Main
NJMP Thunderbolt
Watkins Glen

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, Engine #4 - 331 CI 465 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:54 PM
FFCobra Captain

Great review.
Been thinking of this for my 65 Mustang project, but I think I'm going to start off with the carb since I already have it and budget it already way over.

Do you think you got more laps out of a tank of fuel or are your track sessions not really long enough to have to stop for fuel?

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post

Do you think you got more laps out of a tank of fuel or are your track sessions not really long enough to have to stop for fuel?
Without a doubt better mileage.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 PM

I'm waiting for my 331 to get back from the builder. I also bought the Fitech 600(Go Efi 4) with no Commander pump. I can't wait to get it installed. How did you run your oxygen sensor. Was it to the rear pipe on one of the headers or did you run it to the side pipes?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewha View Post
I'm waiting for my 331 to get back from the builder. I also bought the Fitech 600(Go Efi 4) with no Commander pump. I can't wait to get it installed. How did you run your oxygen sensor. Was it to the rear pipe on one of the headers or did you run it to the side pipes?
Pipe #3 as close to the collector as possible

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 PM

Dan
Did you look at any of the others system, Fast or edelbrock? Fitech sounds good. Any make sure to look for this or that, you can recommend? I am running a procharger with a plenum box and a 750 Holly. I have been thinking replacing the carb with one of these system.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnc1 View Post
Dan
Did you look at any of the others system, Fast or edelbrock? Fitech sounds good. Any make sure to look for this or that, you can recommend? I am running a procharger with a plenum box and a 750 Holly. I have been thinking replacing the carb with one of these system.
They are boost capable, but I would talk with their techs on boosted apps

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 06:53 AM

Thanks, will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement