Need some ordering advice - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Need some ordering advice

I'm ready to order a roadster base kit, but I need to understand timing a bit better. I plan to order a base kit with a powercoated frame and the new independent rear suspension. I plan to use Stewart to deliver it to my home near Austin, Texas.

I'm trying to do this so that I can specify a completion date that will allow me to get the car delivered during a week that I schedule myself away from work. What completion date should I ask for when ordering if I wanted the car delivered the week of May 29? Is it even reasonable to believe that I can get the timing down that way?

I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:25 PM
FFCars Captain

The two dates are related, but not sure you're going to be that precise just yet. Schedule a completion date a few weeks before your desired delivery date. Once it's done, then it will be scheduled with Stewart. Their delivery date will vary based on availability, routes, other deliveries, etc. at that point in time. You'll be working directly with Stewart on that part. Hopefully they can get it into the window you're looking for.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 04:25 PM

edwardB is right, but also you should make your order with Factory Five sooner rather than later (if that is financially feasible for you). When you order with them, you can say you want the first available completion date (in my case that was 3 weeks out) or specify a date further out from that. From that Factory Five completion date, it generally will take Stewart 1-3 weeks to deliver to you. In my case, FFR completion date was 1/21 and Stewart delivered on 1/30.
If you wait longer, it may be that the first FFR completion date is later than you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all,

I talked to FFR this morning and they said that they had a 5/27 date open for a roadster. I just filled out the order form for a base kit, powder coated chassis, and IRS. Just waiting for an order confirmation from them now. I'm excited to get started on this build.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:50 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Delivery Variables

Getting a firm completion date from FF is step one. Then you will need to work with Stewart Transportation regarding their schedule. When they schedule their pickup, they are trying to fill the truck, so the date they leave FF can vary. The best thing to do is schedule your time off in a way you have some flexibility. You will find you have an input in to the kit completion date and Stewart pickup, but trying to get everyone to coordinate their efforts and deliver to fit your schedule will not be easy. I was fortunate, my delivery was on a Saturday, but not the original delivery day. I had planned to take a personal day off for the delivery, then take my actual vacation thereafter. Once Stewart has picked up your kit, you can get a phone number from them so you can get delivery info directly from the driver. Once the driver is on the road and headed in your direction will you have a firm delivery day/time. Some have gotten quite frustrated with delivery delays, so be prepared, they do and will happen.

Alan

MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, 255/40-17 F 295/35-17 R Kumho XS, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.

New project, 1970 Mustang fastback restomod. Started 10/14/16.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:53 PM

Jeff, where are you located? I live in Spicewood and just finished my Roadster build. I have a chassis dolly and body buck if you could use them. Anything else I can do to help out, let me know.

Bob Lloyd

MkIV #8661 delivered 8/3/2015 347, stack injection, AFR 195 heads, 516 Horsepower,alloy T5, engine build and dyno 2/18/2016, First start 3/25/2016, Go Cart 4/11/2016, Paint 12/31/2016, Completed 1/25/2017
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Bob,

I'm in Spicewood as well, in Siesta Shores off Bee Creek. I'm sure I could use the chassis dolly during delivery time. I have a shop with high ceilings, so I expect I will build a buck that I can use to suspend the body from the ceiling. Were you one of the guys parked in front of Specs a few weeks back? My wife and I stopped and chatted with a few folks that day.

Jeff, where are you located? I live in Spicewood and just finished my Roadster build. I have a chassis dolly and body buck if you could use them. Anything else I can do to help out, let me know.

Bob Lloyd
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Baghdad Bob

Send a message via Yahoo to mcwho
I agree with jdav, and edwardb. Order it as soon as possible. I had a similar but different issue. I was working overseas on a long term contract on January 2009 when I ordered my kit, I did not take delivery until August 2010. Factory Five worked with me and was very patient. The kit was delivered 12 days after I got home, and during that 12 days I went to the Build school, which I highly recommend.

my .02 cents

Ordered Feb 26 2009
Engine: 331 from Engine Factory, Carburated QF 650
Halibrand 15" Wheels, BFG Radial TA Tires
Build School July 2010
Recieved Kit July 2010, #7287

Adds
Power Steering Rack & Offset Alum Bushings - Breeze, Power Steering Heidt Valve
Power Brakes - Whitby
Hydralic Clutch & Hydralic Brake Master Cyl. Modern Driveline
Modified quiet sidepipes - Breeze
sidepipe heat shields cobrastuff
Trunk Battery Box - FFmetalb
Firewall Forward - FFmetal
Turn Signal switch - Russ Thompson
Enlarged Passenger Footbox mod Russ Thompson
Russ Thompson accelerator pedal
Tremec TKO600 .64 5TH
Heater and Wipers

As of Mar 2017

Fitting the sidepipes and last will be hood and windscreen fit, then paint.

First start April 2016

First Go-Cart June 2016

Body is being prepped for paint
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:28 PM

I know Siesta Shores well. Robert Baird (marina owner) used to work with my wife years ago.

Wasn't us at Specs, I'm sure it was some of the Austin Cobra club guys.

The chassis dolly is pretty nice. I used it all the way until it was a roller. It will fit in a pickup if you have one or I can bring it to you if need be. You should come out to the meet in San Marcos next week and meet some folks.

As others have said on delivery it's really hard to pin down an exact date until a week or so ahead of time. I was going to pick mine up at FFR but changed my mind 2 days before the trip. I called Stewart and arranged delivery but drove up there as a vacation. We had to cut our trip short and come home because they called with delivery. We were actually still in MA. and they darned near beat us home.

Bob

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrumpley View Post
Bob,

I'm in Spicewood as well, in Siesta Shores off Bee Creek. I'm sure I could use the chassis dolly during delivery time. I have a shop with high ceilings, so I expect I will build a buck that I can use to suspend the body from the ceiling. Were you one of the guys parked in front of Specs a few weeks back? My wife and I stopped and chatted with a few folks that day.

Bob Lloyd

MkIV #8661 delivered 8/3/2015 347, stack injection, AFR 195 heads, 516 Horsepower,alloy T5, engine build and dyno 2/18/2016, First start 3/25/2016, Go Cart 4/11/2016, Paint 12/31/2016, Completed 1/25/2017
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Bob,

I imagine we know a lot of the same folks. I know Robert well. I'm not sure I can get down to the San Marcos meet but I might.

I do have a truck and could swing by and pick up the dolly maybe some evening next week. I'd love to take a look at your car. Can we work out some amount that I can pay you for the dolly?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

It's official, I just received my invoice with an expected completion date of 5/27/2017.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:33 PM

I'll be heading to San Marcos Wednesday, but I'm here until then. You're welcome to come by any time. Give me a call or text 512 6590706.

The dolly was given to me by CDXVII on this forum. My brother brought it from California, so it's only fitting it continues to circulate amongst builders.

Bob

Quote:
Bob,

I imagine we know a lot of the same folks. I know Robert well. I'm not sure I can get down to the San Marcos meet but I might.

I do have a truck and could swing by and pick up the dolly maybe some evening next week. I'd love to take a look at your car. Can we work out some amount that I can pay you for the dolly?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
It's official, I just received my invoice with an expected completion date of 5/27/2017.
Congratulations!
Welcome to the madness
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:12 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Congratulations, I ordered my complete MK4 kit on 1/19 and setup a 3/18 completion date and it was delivered on 3/23. now the fun part (inventory). Spent all day yesterday doing inventory only have 4 of the 24 boxes left. hopefully I'll start assembly Sunday or Monday. Can' wait. Enjoy your build.

Mk 4 complete kit ordered 1/19/17, delivered 3/23/17 #9059-Dart 347/TKO 600 from Mike Forte, Forte's hyd clutch, KRC p/s, Kirkey high back seats, 2015 IRS, 17x9/10.5 Halibrand replica wheels, 12.88 wilwood brakes f/r. heater/defroster, dual chrome roll bars, FFMETAL new firewall fwd.
First start and go-cart 4/11/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement