Help with donor gas tank vent lines - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Dave M

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Help with donor gas tank vent lines

Trying to figure out what to do with this gas tank. This is from a 99 GT with a returnless fuel system. I can't figure out what all the vents on the tank are for. There are three on the top of the tank and one on the side near the fuel filler. Do I need to connect all these to a charcoal vapor canister, or can some of them be plugged? Thanks for the help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170311_151958_1489378346108.jpg (233.8 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:45 PM

I have the same tank (2002 actually) with the same questions.

The photo does not show the fuel pump location - it is much larger and is in the middle part of the tank. You can get a pump for a 1998 mustang that is a return style (only year with that pickup location in the middle of the tank and return style pump.)

The two shown in the photo are something different. The 2002 wiring harness for the pump had a connection to one of the vent lines coming from one of those connections. Not sure if that was a solenoid to allow vapors to go to the engine vs the carbon? Of if it was a pressure sensor to sense tank pressure? Or ??

My plan was to stop by the local for dealer and pull up the schematic to ask questions. Let me know if you find out anything.

Greg

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Not sure about the rest but the one near the fill opening was probably connected near the top of the fill neck to allow for free flow venting when filling.
Sneaky Snake thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:34 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
The fitting with the electrical connection is probably this https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9593B/2000-...nk-Vapor-Valve. The one on the side, is as already stated, a vent for the filler tube. The others I'd have to look up.

HTH

Norm

Last edited by Norm B; 03-14-2017 at 03:30 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:19 PM

I did not even notice the taped off connection near the fill opening - as mine does not have that. My 2 connections on top look identical though. Not shown in the picture - the 2 hoses actually connect together a foot away! Can't wait to hear the explanation for that from ford.....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:58 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

My donor was a 2004 Mach 1, tank looks the same, returnless type. I incorporated the charcoal canister and the control valves at the engine to allow the engine to burn the vapor from the canister. I did need to run a line from the tank plumbing to the engine area for the canister vapors. I also used the Mustang fuel filler cut down per the assembly manual. The fuel filler had a vent line connection I could connect to the canister and one that was eliminated by the modifications. So for the other vent connection at the filler, I just capped it off. By using as much of the OEM setup as I could, it actually made it simpler. Just one approach, but the end result turned out well.

Alan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

My current plan is to fab up a pvc charcoal canister and run the two lines that already have hoses on the top of the tank. Then plug the other lines off. I'm not installing any of the old vapor system, so i dont think i need the other connections. Let me know if I'm missing something.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBitten14 View Post
My current plan is to fab up a pvc charcoal canister and run the two lines that already have hoses on the top of the tank. Then plug the other lines off. I'm not installing any of the old vapor system, so i dont think i need the other connections. Let me know if I'm missing something.
I did this. Seems to work good and no gas smell in my garage.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Banned

I don't know if any Cobras have problems with slow filling and burping fuel out the filler, but the solution is a vent from the top of the tank to a point very close to the filler cap. Once I added a 3/8" vent hose to release air from the tank while filling, my problems with slow fill rate and burping fuel were eliminated.

The vent that allows air into the tank to replace spent fuel volume will usually not expel air fast enough to prevent burping. Mine is a small 1/4" line with a roll-over valve and home made carbon canister hooked to it.

Last edited by daveS53; 03-15-2017 at 07:24 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveS53 View Post
I don't know if any Cobras have problems with slow filling and burping fuel out the filler, but the solution is a vent from the top of the tank to a point very close to the filler cap. Once I added a 3/8" vent hose to release air from the tank while filling, my problems with slow fill rate and burping fuel were eliminated.

The vent that allows air into the tank to replace spent fuel volume will usually not expel air fast enough to prevent burping. Mine is a small 1/4" line with a roll-over valve and home made carbon canister hooked to.
The line you describe is already built into my Mustang gas tank, it is about a 1/2" line up to near the top of the fill tube.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Is this the connection on the side of the tank near the fill hose? It has blue tape on it in the attached picture at the start of the thread.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:20 AM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBitten14 View Post
Is this the connection on the side of the tank near the fill hose? It has blue tape on it in the attached picture at the start of the thread.
My gas tank was different and the 1/2" vent hose was on the side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement