Neat Hardtop - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Neat Hardtop

Continuing with the British connection, check out this hard top design. That's the best I've seen. Wonder if anyone in the US is making anything like it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 PM

Very cool video, although I don't think I'll ever call these cars "boring."

John

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:08 PM
FFCars Craftsman

I was expecting to see the DB hard top.

DB Replicas - Removable Le Mans Hard Top

Great top, I'm keen to see if I can make it fit to my car when it's done.

The GD427 doesn't have a hardtop like that any more - at least the last one I saw didn't.

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Snake Farmer

Garage
He mentions it's a prototype for them. Haven't seen one in N.A yet, that has that feature.
The gull wing type window would probably help tremendously in getting in and out. The fellow in the video made it look very easy, but he was not a large fellow anyway.
I always thought there was no way I could use a standard type hardtop, as I would have serious issues entering & exiting. Actually a soft top with the same gull wing feature could become quite popular for the same reason..
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I like this top even better. This is their Le Mans top. This top does make me drool a little.

http://www.v8cobra.com/images/h_top/IMG_1722.jpg

Not that I am a gull wind door fanatic, but I think that really works on these cars for making it easy to get in and out. I have a soft top and it is not that bad getting in and out. I don't know if I'll be able to say that in 10 years though.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO

Last edited by Avalanche325; 07-25-2016 at 10:39 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:58 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

I have seen something like that

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/138-har...d-hardtop.html

Gold Wing by Tony Chiles | Photobucket

does make getting out of the car easier

Tony Chiles
Hopkinsville KY
Twin Turbo 302,42lb inj, intercooler,t3/t4 60/63, tweecer, low boost at 10#.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chiles View Post
I have seen something like that

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/138-har...d-hardtop.html

Gold Wing by Tony Chiles | Photobucket

does make getting out of the car easier

Now that is nice!!!

MK II SOLD 03/2013: 302EFI,E303,GT40intake,Twisted Wedge heads,MSD ignition&distributor,4X4, 24#, 3.55, 8 .8.

MK IV Coyote Complete Kit #8075 arrived 6/26/13: 8.8 solid, 3.55:1, TKO 500, PS/PB/ABS/AC, 245/60R15 x 295/50R15, modular dash. Graduated May 2016.

MK IV Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:08 AM

One of the things that impressed me most about the video was the amount of trunk space the GD had, my FFR only has about half that space and that's with the dropped trunk floor!

FFR 8581: Donor/A la carte build from '95 GT. Upgrades: 3-link w/corrected geometry lower control arms, CNC dual master cylinder, QA1 SA shocks and stainless brake hoses from Breeze, SAI mod, under car exhaust with custom longtube headers, Weiand stealth intake and 625 Street Demon (next-gen Thermoquad), GT40P heads with 3-angle valve job and light cleanup, E-cam, Truetrac diff. My build thread:
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaircraft View Post
One of the things that impressed me most about the video was the amount of trunk space the GD had, my FFR only has about half that space and that's with the dropped trunk floor!
I was impressed also that all that luggage fit into the trunk. But I like the top most of all.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:14 AM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Craftsman

FYI, I have an APE top and I am 6ft 2in tall, 76 years young and have no problem getting in and out of my MK1. After a few head bumps you develop a "system" and it isn't a problem after that!

Dave Van FFR 1406
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:26 AM
GWL
FFCars Captain

The LeMans Top is a favorite of mine.

Mr. Bruce in PA makes them and more. His phone # is in the third post in the link below. He does not do emails, phone calls only.

Bunch of pictures and more:

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/138-har...dtops-mk4.html

George

Ordered Complete Roadster Kit - 12-24-09

Picked up the 1st Mk 4 Roadster, 3-5-10, Still not finished in 2019, three moves since starting and now moving to NC later this summer, 2019

'75 Porsche Targa Carrera - Sold
'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold

My Footbox Modifications:

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:36 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:42 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Looks nice! The gull wings are cool.

I really like the LeMans hard top and the swept back rear window.

Kyle

MKIV#8707, Picked-up 09/05/15, 351w, TK600, QF680, 15" Halibrands, PS, Wilwoods, Gas-N Headers & Sidepipes, Viking Blue with ith Wimbledon White stripes. First start 03/25/16. First go-cart 04/01/16. Registered and on the road 07/15/16! Painted 03/15/17.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 01:45 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Tony, how do you latch the gull wings closed? Don't know how I missed your top but I did. Now I am thinking about working on my APE top.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:48 PM
Snake Farmer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE VAN View Post
FYI, I have an APE top and I am 6ft 2in tall, 76 years young and have no problem getting in and out of my MK1. After a few head bumps you develop a "system" and it isn't a problem after that!
Could you post an instructional video please Dave..I'd like to see how it's done..
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQLover View Post
I was impressed also that all that luggage fit into the trunk. But I like the top most of all.
At my last autocross, here is what I pulled out of my FFR trunk. I do have the drop mod. I actually surprised myself, and a few other people. I could had gotten a few more small things in there.

Full face helmet
2 full softside coolers. 1 med, 1 small
Medium sized craftsman tool bag.
Folding chair
Medium size sports bag.
Golf umbrella
Side curtains (windows) for my soft top
two bags for soft top
Snapless tonneau cover
Moroso tire gauge
roll of paper towels
Bottle of Windex
extra t-shirt
extra hat
First aid kit

I had quite the pile of stuff behind my car.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Tony, how do you latch the gull wings closed?
McMaster-Carr
cam latches at the front and rear of the window

Tony Chiles
Hopkinsville KY
Twin Turbo 302,42lb inj, intercooler,t3/t4 60/63, tweecer, low boost at 10#.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:42 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Thanks Tony, I see them now in a couple of your pics.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:29 PM
Senior Charter Member

Instructions on How to fabricate Tony's quarter windows

In looking back at all my Hardtop/Side Curtain/Quarter Window files, I came across the instructions below that Tony graciously provided several years ago in how to fabricate his quarter windows. If you look closely at the photo showing his quarter windows, you might ask as I did... how did he do that. Well here you go............. Thanks Again Tony.

Steps to do quarter windows

1. Create a template of the shape you want the window to be.
2. Cut two identical windows out of 1/8 (Plexiglas?)
3. Trace around the windows so that you have an outline on your top
4. Cut the top so that the window just barely fits in the hole.
5. Tape a piece of paper on the inside surfaces of the Plexiglas window, and then cover it with aluminum foil. The paper is insulation and the aluminum foil fiberglass won’t let fiberglass stick to it. The paper insulation is needed because the fiberglass chemical reaction puts out enough heat to ruin the window, don’t ask how I know.
6. Tape the window (with the foil side to the inside of the top) flush with the outside of the top, all the way around the circumference, this will keep the fiberglass from getting on the outside surface.
7. Fiberglass the inside of the top, at least 1" on the top and 1" on the aluminum foil covering the window. Lay enough glass to make it 1/8 thick.
8. let dry. Pull tape off of window/top and remove the window. You now have created a step that the window can be secured to. Trim this step to about 5/8 of an inch all the way around the hole in the top.
9. Take the foil and paper off the window set the window in the hole and trace around the fiberglass step you created. Carefully take a razor blade and cut the plastic coating on the Plexiglas (the inside part of the window only) pull this 5/8 ring of plastic off the window. Set the window back in the top and drill holes evenly spaced in the Plexiglas and fiberglass. Counter sink the holes in the Plexiglas
10. Now paint the window gloss black.
11. Pull the rest of the plastic covering from both sides of the window.
12. I use black silicon gasket maker that I put on the ledge of the fiberglass, this is under the paint on the window and no one see it and it will not leak.
13. Put stainless counter sunk screws thru holes in window and tighten
14. you now have flush windows with no weather-stripping to deal with. The stainless screws could be painted black if you feel the need to make them disappear.
15. make sure you buy the right kind of plastic. one that you can bend and drill and it won't crack. styrene plastic is horrible, i think, plexiglas or lexan is what I used, but not sure. it was the highest quality plastic the lowes had (red code).
have fun and post pictures!

PHILLIP, SemperFi, They call the wind MARIAH.
"Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 04:53 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Craftsman

Ape Top

Bill, you basically sit in the seat with your feet on the ground and then swing your legs inside, open a beer and hit the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
Could you post an instructional video please Dave..I'd like to see how it's done..

Dave Van FFR 1406
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Notwithstanding the other brands of tops, I like the overall shape of the gull-wing top on the Gardner-Douglas car more than the others. The top doesn't appear to look hunchbacked. After looking at their company web page, the roll bars on G-D roadsters appear to be shorter, requiring less height in the rear.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:04 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQLover View Post
Notwithstanding the other brands of tops, I like the overall shape of the gull-wing top on the Gardner-Douglas car more than the others. The top doesn't appear to look hunchbacked. After looking at their company web page, the roll bars on G-D roadsters appear to be shorter, requiring less height in the rear.
BBQ-

I agree that the roll bar height, and the short landing space behind them before interfering with the trunk, represent the biggest aesthetic challenge to hard tops on these cars.

Lowering the roll bars, and tops that extend into the trunk area seem to be the best ways to make the top look good, or proportional. Some that do neither don't look bad, it's just that most of them don't seem to have the proper proportions.

I should add that I really like the top that is posted here. The wing style ingress/egress makes a nice impression as well. It is a really sharp look!

At least, that's how I see them.

Regards,

Steve
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 05:24 AM
Snake Farmer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE VAN View Post
Bill, you basically sit in the seat with your feet on the ground and then swing your legs inside, open a beer and hit the road!
Does it have to be in that order to work..
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:43 PM
Erik Hansen- 33Machine

Send a message via Yahoo to ehansen007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
I like this top even better. This is their Le Mans top. This top does make me drool a little.

http://www.v8cobra.com/images/h_top/IMG_1722.jpg

Not that I am a gull wind door fanatic, but I think that really works on these cars for making it easy to get in and out. I have a soft top and it is not that bad getting in and out. I don't know if I'll be able to say that in 10 years though.
That is beautiful!

Erik Hansen
Car no. 240

Sponsored Links
Advertisement