Seat Installation. - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Seat Installation.

Ready to install the leather FFR supplied seats in my MK4. I purchased the JEGS seat rails for the drivers side, thinking it would be nice to have an adjustable seat.
I first set the seat in place flat on the floor for a test fit of my 5'6" skinny frame. Much to my surprise, I found that I needed to have the set as far back as possible, and for sure I needed a spacer under the front edge. The steering wheel is as far forward as it will go.
I did not expect it was going to be that tight for someone my size. It has me questioning the need for the adjustable seat rails.
Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

Ric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Not a waxer

I've only ever installed them in one customer's car. He reports that he has adjusted the seat exactly zero times. Two drivers of significantly different heights might be a different story.

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:25 PM

I just installed the Breeze seat mounts. Installation was pretty straight forward. The back bolt you would use to make the adjustment is a bit of a bitch to install but not impossible. Like you, I am 5' 8" and have the seat all the way back. I figure I will need to use the adjustment once or twice when my wife wants to take it for a drive. I already know that will be few and far in between. I liked the tilt back that was built into the Breeze set up.

Chuck Krueger
Conesus, NY
MK IV Kit - Picked up 4/5/14
First Start - 7/25/15
Coyote, TKO500, Wilwoods, Solid Rear Axle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

I've used the Summit and Jegs rails before and added 1" to the front tilting the seat back some so the angle is close to the rear cockpit panel.

What Jeff K said, I Never Move The Seat.

I mounted my passengers side without adjusters but raised it up with Square tubing and added tilt.

FFR has an excellent drawing with the anchor locations marked. You have to do a little tweaking on adjusters and seat. It will not mount 100% straight. I wouldn't mount the seats until the body is on.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 PM

X2 on MCathcart...I mounted mine before I put the body on, then had to remount them (i.e. MOVE them) once the body went on and I discovered that they hit the edge of the cockpit roll!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 PM

Garage
I still think these cars have shrunk or.......

Thanks,
AL Adkins
Stoneville NC.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 01:32 PM

Anyone have experience with the Breeze wedges without the rails? Chuck, is that what you were referring to in your post? At 6'2" and 220lb, I'm not looking for adjustability (my wife can't drive a stick anyway ). I have the big and tall seats, but I'm thinking I might need to angle them back somewhat. Is the wedge worth the money or do I simply need to add a spacer in the front?

--Nathan

MKIV Complete Kit(order placed: 4/5/16; order completion: 5/14/16; delivered: 5/24/16): 3-link, PC, cutouts, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars; 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, wind wings/visors sourced during separate 50/50 sale; side pipes and headers sourced through Gan-n
First start: 6/22/19
Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes
Paint Plan: Under consideration (probably dark grey/titanium with silver stripes)

Last edited by silver_pilate; 05-11-2016 at 01:40 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceral View Post
I still think these cars have shrunk or.......

You must be getting taller Al---right?---taller?

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:29 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_pilate View Post
Anyone have experience with the Breeze wedges without the rails? Chuck, is that what you were referring to in your post? At 6'2" and 220lb, I'm not looking for adjustability (my wife can't drive a stick anyway ). I have the big and tall seats, but I'm thinking I might need to angle them back somewhat. Is the wedge worth the money or do I simply need to add a spacer in the front?

--Nathan
I too am 6'-2" and just recently installed the big & tall seats. I installed a length of 3/4" unistrut to the floor and then bolted the front of the seat frame to that using the spring loaded unistrut nuts. Gave me enough of a tilt back without pushing the seats forward. Worked great.

Mk-3 FFR 5558, 351W, Comp Xtreme Energy Cam, Aluminum Heads, Roller Rockers, Mallory Comp S/S 42 Distributor, Edelbrock RPM Performer, 670 Holley Street Avenger, T-5, 3:08 Posi, 15" Team III Wheels, BF Goodrich T/A 225/60R-15, 275/50R-15, 4-wheel disc brakes, Electric Blue/White Stripes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:36 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Used JEG'S rails. Once seat position was dialed in it has remained fixed. Movable seat makes it a lot easier to find a good position.

No one else drives the car. Passenger seat is still bolted to the floor all the way back.

Kevin

Raleigh, NC. MK-IV 8243 Coyote (2014)/TKO-600
Delivered - 2/7/14
Initial Engine Start - 11/12/14
Go Cart - 11/22/14
Chassis to Body Shop - 11/24/14
Body Painted - 1/8/15
Body on Chassis - 1/28/15
Dyno Tune - 2/19/15
Trailer home - 3/7/15
NCDMV inspection - PASSED 3/16/15
Plate - "COYOTE" Black/Yellow NC-1965 - 3/25/15
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew View Post
I too am 6'-2" and just recently installed the big & tall seats. I installed a length of 3/4" unistrut to the floor and then bolted the front of the seat frame to that using the spring loaded unistrut nuts. Gave me enough of a tilt back without pushing the seats forward. Worked great.
Great info, Mike. That sounds like a handy solution. Any concern about strength of the front seat mounting with this method? I guess it's the safety harness' job to keep you from flying out of the car, and since the harness isn't mounted to the sat, as long as the seat is reasonably secure, we're good, correct?

Also, how do you like the big-tall seats in the car? Were you able to get reasonably comfortable, and do you have any footbox mods? I have sat in them, but I'm still waiting on delivery of the kit and getting my build underway, so I don't have any real-world feel for them in the car.

Thanks!

--Nathan

MKIV Complete Kit(order placed: 4/5/16; order completion: 5/14/16; delivered: 5/24/16): 3-link, PC, cutouts, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars; 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, wind wings/visors sourced during separate 50/50 sale; side pipes and headers sourced through Gan-n
First start: 6/22/19
Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes
Paint Plan: Under consideration (probably dark grey/titanium with silver stripes)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 03:42 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Great info, Mike. That sounds like a handy solution. Any concern about strength of the front seat mounting with this method? I guess it's the safety harness' job to keep you from flying out of the car, and since the harness isn't mounted to the sat, as long as the seat is reasonably secure, we're good, correct?

Thanks!

--Nathan
The unistrut is heavy construction and securely mounted to the 4" tube on one side and the steel floor plate on the other. The seat frame is then drilled and through bolted to the unistrut spring loaded nuts in 2 locations. The rear part of the seat is bolted to the 4" tube on one side and the 2" square tube on the other side. Much more secure that any other methods that are commercially available that I have seen.

Mk-3 FFR 5558, 351W, Comp Xtreme Energy Cam, Aluminum Heads, Roller Rockers, Mallory Comp S/S 42 Distributor, Edelbrock RPM Performer, 670 Holley Street Avenger, T-5, 3:08 Posi, 15" Team III Wheels, BF Goodrich T/A 225/60R-15, 275/50R-15, 4-wheel disc brakes, Electric Blue/White Stripes.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 06:25 PM
MK4 w/'94 Mustang Donor

Hi Rick,
I have the seat rails in my car on the drivers side. I use them every so often. With the seat all the way back I can't reach the floor to bottom out the clutch so I move up 1 or 2 notches and it's perfect. When I'm out for a longer cruse, I put it all the way Bach for the most room possible. And yes the wife was the reason I installed them in first place. Leting her drive once in a while seems to keep her interest up a little ...

MK4 w/'94 Mustang GT Donor Car. 5.0 EFI, Trick Flo Track heat heads, FRPP E-Cam, SVO GT 40 intake and all supporting mods, Pro-M 77 MAF, BBK 75mm throttle body, SCT 6600 4-bank chip with Custom tune from Performance-Dyno, 30 lbs injectors, Summit Racing 255lph fuel pump, FRPP 355's w/track lock diff, ABS. FFR A-Arms & 4 Link rear suspension W/Koni Racing shocks.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:

--Nathan
Mine were the two piece from Breeze. A plate mounts to the floor with a stud sticking up at each corner. the wedge piece is bolted to the seat. When mated together and using the predrilled holes, you get around 3" of adjustment forward. The wedge picks the front of the seat up close to 1 1/2". Not a quick adjustment, but will work for the couple of times I might need to do it. Installation was pretty simple. I had the adjuster rails from FF, but there is a lot of brain damage to get them installed.

Chuck Krueger
Conesus, NY
MK IV Kit - Picked up 4/5/14
First Start - 7/25/15
Coyote, TKO500, Wilwoods, Solid Rear Axle
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Given I will drive the car 99% of the time and my wife the other 1%, I will go without the adjustable seat tracks. The 1 " spacer on the front edge of the seats will be installed.

Rick
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
X2 for the breeze mounts without rails.

I am 6', and have had many drive the car, and most fit quite well. But, it is built for me, so I tailored it to my fit. I also have the SP seats.

If a person is dramatically shorter with shorter legs, a pillow or blanket behind them.

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, Engine #4 - 331 CI 465 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement