Small Garage Tour and Body Buck - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Icon20 Small Garage Tour and Body Buck

Well, I was able to finish modifying the body buck I was given, and I tweaked my chassis dolly. Since I took a few pictures, I thought I'd give a quick tour of my little garage. It's not much, but here it is.

This is an attached single car garage that we built primarily to be my workshop when we built the house. I have been making knives as a hobby for the last 12 years or so, so I have had to consolidate some tools and squeeze things around.

Here is my compressor and grinding table. The little disc on the left is a precision flat disc on a 3/4 hp motor, and the machine on the right is a 2 hp, 2x72" KMG that is a metal hog with platen and 10" and small wheel attachments. They are both fully variable speed running off of a sealed VFD under the table.

Here's the drill press and one of the work benches with a precision granite surface plate and my metal brake on the floor.

Here's my collection of goodies so far including wheels, seats, and miscellaneous upgrades. And of course, a laptop with the required FFCars reading selections. Also my metal cutting bandsaw set up for vertical use.

The main work bench.

The heat treating area and metal stock rack with my Evenheat oven. It will hold 2200F within +/- 5 degrees for however long you'd like. There is also a liquid nitrogen dewar behind it and assorted quenching oils in front. I've got a crap ton of W2, 52100, CPM 154, and W1 on the rack below the oven.

And here is my PID controlled blown propane forge and anvil. Obviously, I pull them out if I need to use them. The forge is set up on a two-stage system controlled by the PID. There is a pilot stage and a high stage actuated by a electronic valve. It can hold temperature pretty steady within 10 degrees once the entire thing is heat-soaked, and it will scream up to 2800F pretty easily. The anvil is a 100 year old 120 lb Hay Budden.

More to come....

--Nathan

MKIV Complete Kit(order placed: 4/5/16; order completion: 5/14/16; delivered: 5/24/16): 3-link, PC, cutouts, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars; 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, wind wings/visors sourced during separate 50/50 sale; side pipes and headers sourced through Gan-n
First start: 6/22/19
Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes
Paint Plan: Under consideration (probably dark grey/titanium with silver stripes)

Last edited by silver_pilate; 04-13-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

A few pictures of the toolbox. I love an organized toolbox. We'll see how neat it stays as I get into the build.

And of course, a little entertainment is always a plus.

And finally, here are a few pictures of actual roadster related things. First is my chassis dolly. I need to add a bit of carpeting, but is should be ready to go.

Here's the body buck and my helper. I was able to repurpose most of the wood in the buck I was given, and I was able to get this one raised up along with a little shelf. It's a bit more sturdy than it looks, though it won't hold a ton of weight on the shelf.

And here it is all put away and waiting, waiting, waiting for delivery day.

--Nathan

MKIV Complete Kit(order placed: 4/5/16; order completion: 5/14/16; delivered: 5/24/16): 3-link, PC, cutouts, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars; 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, wind wings/visors sourced during separate 50/50 sale; side pipes and headers sourced through Gan-n
Paint Plan: Under consideration (probably dark grey/titanium with silver stripes)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:25 AM
Ray

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ray
Are you still making knives?

I've been thinking about having a custom knife done and would rather give the money to a "Forum Brother" than a stranger.

Ray

PS: Shop looks great...

If you run a couple of 2x4's under the edges of that body buck shelf, you'll be able to put quite a bit on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buck1.jpg (77.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg buck2.jpg (115.8 KB, 50 views)

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement...I'd be unstoppable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Are you still making knives?

I've been thinking about having a custom knife done and would rather give the money to a "Forum Brother" than a stranger.

Ray

PS: Shop looks great...

If you run a couple of 2x4's under the edges of that body buck shelf, you'll be able to put quite a bit on it.
Thanks, Ray. I was wanting to do that, but I ran out of wood. I'll likely pick up a few more 2x4s and run some supports on the outside edges like you suggested.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to keep up much production when it comes to knives. I stopped taking orders a long time ago as it sapped a lot of the joy out of it. I wish I could help you out, but I so rarely produce anything anymore that I just can't commit. I finally did finish up a few the other day:

I have a site (Burgess Knives: Hand Made for Use), but it's really more of a gallery/chronicle than anything else.

--Nathan

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 06:43 AM

Beautiful knives Nathan. If you ever decide to start taking orders again let us all know.

Congratulations on the new project. Waiting for delivery was the hardest part for me.

The shop looks nice and organized. Makes me want to go clean mine up. I'm fairly organized but you make me look like a pig.

Good luck with the build.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:00 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Good Morning Nathan,

The garage looks great, and I can tell you've done a lot of work.

If you don't mind, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions that may come in handy for you.

Shelves on the Walls:

You wouldn't believe how much stuff you're about to receive. There are several boxes are about 2'ish x 3'ish x 8"ish. Are you storing the boxes in the house? Or in the garage? One thing that really helped me is building a large shelf over the body that holds those boxes (carpet/aluminum/windshield/dashboard). It get's them high and out of the way for the many months or year that I don't need them. To keep my dear wife happy, I don't put them in the house.

LIGHTING:

When you put the shelves up, hang some shop lights on them. I don't know when you'll be doing your build, but I do most of my work at night after the daughter is to bed. Good lighting is very helpful.

BIG CASTERS ON THE BODY BUCK CART:
You're going to hate this one since it's already built. I'm mentioning larger casters because of how many times you'll be moving the body buck cart in and out of your garage. If you have a little lip where the garage meets the driveway, you'll fight that thing. I have 4" wheels, and it's not big enough. I'm too stubborn to change them out though. So I understand if you are too.

I hope this post doesn't frustrate you. I'm mentioning these things because they have helped me in my build.

Best Regards,
Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dave
Greenhorn / A New Experience for Me.
Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels

Purchased 10/7/15; Brought her Home 10/18/15
My photos are at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Videos are at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Build (Learning as I go and poorly organized) Blog @

--------------------------------------------------------------
Loving the Island Life

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas, Dave. The adjacent 2-car garage has a significant amount more space on either side of the parking area than my shop garage, and I'll be storing most of the boxes in there. I'd do the build in there but my truck or my wife's Tahoe won't fit in the shop garage, and parking outside too much is an invitation to some busted windows or door locks, not to mention the hail storms we get out here.

I do wish I had more lighting, and like you, most of my build will be done in the evenings. I'll try mounting a bank of florescent lights high on each wall toward the front of the garage (so they won't get covered by the door) to brighten things up, and I have multiple work lights I'll be using.

I am worried about the body buck casters. They were the largest peg-mounted casters I could find in local stores. My garage also has a short slope up to the opening in addition to the lip. It's going to be a wrestling match. I'll see what kind of casters I can come up with to make things easier without pushing me too high. I might have to wait until the body is on to see what kind of clearance I have.

Thanks!

--Nathan

Last edited by silver_pilate; 04-13-2016 at 02:53 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:23 PM

What's wrong with you? Nobody has a shop that tidy! I'm jealous.

MK II SOLD 03/2013: 302EFI,E303,GT40intake,Twisted Wedge heads,MSD ignition&distributor,4X4, 24#, 3.55, 8 .8.

MK IV Coyote Complete Kit #8075 arrived 6/26/13: 8.8 solid, 3.55:1, TKO 500, PS/PB/ABS/AC, 245/60R15 x 295/50R15, modular dash. Graduated May 2016.

MK IV Build Thread:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
What's wrong with you? Nobody has a shop that tidy! I'm jealous.
I was thinking the same thing. Makes me want to clean mine but that'd be pointless.

Nice garage set-up Nathan.

Happy Wife... Happy Life

MK 3.1, IRS,Koni,Wilwood 4WDB,Wilwood pedals, Quick rel steering wheel, 500HP/427ci(351W)/TKO600 5sp,17" AR Cobra III
Still finishing... but I'm on the road

Currently in the stable:
2005 Mazda 3 hatch
1965 MK 3.1 Roadster (427W/TKO600) Wilwood 4WDB
1968 Mustang conv 302/C4 (bought in 86') Project
1967 Mustang S-code Fastback (1968 GT350 clone)
1967 Mustang coupe FiTech EFI
1948 Dodge truck B1
2001 Paint (1 HP)

Wifes
2001 Porsche 911 (996) conv
2007 Palomino (1 HP)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matstng View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Makes me want to clean mine but that'd be pointless.

Nice garage set-up Nathan.
Thanks! Keep in mind, guys, that I'm in between projects. It gets to be a wreck when I'm actually dug in on something. But after each project, I do try to clean/vacuum it up so it doesn't get out of hand. Also, what you don't see in the pictures is the 30 minutes of cleaning it up I did prior to snapping the pictures.

--Nathan

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 04:56 PM

My 10-year old son has been absolutely fascinated by the History channel show "Forged in Fire" and a few weeks ago, right after we started watching the show, told me that he's thought for years that being a blacksmith would be really cool. Just another excuse for me to finally go ahead and build that propane-fired furnace I've been thinking about... having it PID controlled would be really cool too but would take some creative thinking on my part on how to control the burner. Then of course I'd need a belt sander, anvil, tongs, etc etc and my shop is already as stuffed with equipment as yours is (not quite as tidy looking though lol). So, looks like we'll be sticking with stock removal for the time being

FFR 8581: Donor/A la carte build from '95 GT. Upgrades: 3-link w/corrected geometry lower control arms, CNC dual master cylinder, QA1 SA shocks and stainless brake hoses from Breeze, SAI mod, under car exhaust with custom longtube headers, Weiand stealth intake and 625 Street Demon (next-gen Thermoquad), GT40P heads with 3-angle valve job and light cleanup, E-cam, Truetrac diff. My build thread:
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

I still do the majority of my work through stock removal since I love CPM154, and it doesn't forge that well. There is something to be said about pushing screaming hot metal around with a hammer, though.

I just started watching some re-runs of Forged in Fire on Apple TV a week or so ago. On the second season, I've actually known 4 of the contestants, 3 of whom went on to win. They're guys I've met or talked with over the years through forums and in person, and they're all very talented smiths.

If you ever get around to building a PID control, I've got some pictures on my website of how I put mine together. It's really not that bad and I've actually disabled the fan speed control on mine, since there is such a small difference between hi and pilot stages that it doesn't effect the forge atmosphere that much. If you could build a compact forge and find a suitable post anvil somewhere, it doesn't take too much space.

If you do every decide to do the stock removal work, I'd highly recommend a 2x72" three wheel grinder. You can find 'em for not that bad with step pulleys and 110V 1.5 hp motor. It's a great tool even beyond knife making.

--Nathan

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:51 PM

What is wrong with you? A neat and organized garage is a sign of a twisted mind! (lol!) Just kidding! Congratulations, very nice set-up.

Your little helper looks like he is ready to jump on this project. I can tell you that working with my son has been the best part of the building process. Your son will never forget the time you spend together working on his car. By the way, if you have not figured it out yet, it is HIS car.

BTW, Good looking knives!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

That is a very well stocked garage. It looks like you are ready to go!

I am not "into" knives per se, but WOW, those look nice.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:49 PM
Ray

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ray
I've sent you a PM....

Ray

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement...I'd be unstoppable!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 AM
Cobra Colorist

Move the knife equip into the two car garage......Yousa gonna need all the room you can get!!! da Bat

Drink me handsome and take me home....Bartender, I'd like to buy the little lady a drink...better make it a double.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

I've considered moving the grinders. I'll have to think more on it, Bat. Not quite enough room in the 2-car for it. One side of that garage has built-in cabinets/work top along most of the length of the wall. Plenty of space to store the boxes, but not enough room for the grinding table. I could definitely put the forge in storage for a while; I'll have to borrow a trailer.... I try not to move the oven more than I have to, so it can stay.

--Nathan

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:41 AM

Consider LED's

Before buying fluorescent lights, you ought to look at LED's. I put 4 - 4 foot LED's in a 20x20 area and they give all the light you will need...plus 35 yr warranty and they don't cost that much more, won't be buying tubes / ballasts...just a suggestion to think about.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaircraft View Post
My 10-year old son has been absolutely fascinated by the History channel show "Forged in Fire" and a few weeks ago, right after we started watching the show, told me that he's thought for years that being a blacksmith would be really cool. Just another excuse for me to finally go ahead and build that propane-fired furnace I've been thinking about... having it PID controlled would be really cool too but would take some creative thinking on my part on how to control the burner. Then of course I'd need a belt sander, anvil, tongs, etc etc and my shop is already as stuffed with equipment as yours is (not quite as tidy looking though lol). So, looks like we'll be sticking with stock removal for the time being
My jewelry teacher is also a blacksmith; combines the two and makes a good living; separates the two and makes a good living.

Would suggest your son take some jewelry classes at a local college (learn the basics of forming and otherwise working with metals and then onto the big time...smithing. Many local CC's teach smithing also.

MK II SOLD 03/2013: 302EFI,E303,GT40intake,Twisted Wedge heads,MSD ignition&distributor,4X4, 24#, 3.55, 8 .8.

MK IV Coyote Complete Kit #8075 arrived 6/26/13: 8.8 solid, 3.55:1, TKO 500, PS/PB/ABS/AC, 245/60R15 x 295/50R15, modular dash. Graduated May 2016.

MK IV Build Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement