My ‘reasonably authentic’ 427 S/C build log - Page 13 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 55Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:47 AM

Ron, I LOVE your work. It reminds me of how designers add superfluous circuitry to microchips in order to send reverse engineering copycats on a wild goose chase.
Anyone who tries to hotwire your car will be left scratching their heads...

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz.

picah thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:32 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Very nicely done Ron. Is the black tank for coolant?

picah thanked this.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #363 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:33 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Ron - Great work on the electrics.

Sorry I didn't pick up on your list of required parts, as I could have sent you wires, connectors and a fuse box left over from my own build.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Take care, Paul.
picah thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
Very nicely done Ron. Is the black tank for coolant?
Craig
Thanks much.
The black tank is the oil vapor recapture tank (some call it a puke tank, I think). It hooks up to several places where oil vapors are scavenged. I built that one myself as they were made originally (from lawnmower gas tanks, crazy enough). Somewhere in my prior posts I documented how I fabbed it up.

All the best
Ron
post #365 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Ron - Great work on the electrics.

Sorry I didn't pick up on your list of required parts, as I could have sent you wires, connectors and a fuse box left over from my own build.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Take care, Paul.
Thanks, Paul. Good news is that I was able to find all that stuff, but your kind offer is much appreciated. And the funny part is that the disassembly of the old wiring harnesses that I cannibalized was actually fun. Found all sort of weird connectors and tiny parts embedded within the harnesses.

Love to see some pics of your build.

Best
Ron
post #366 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:20 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Ron – I have to warn you it is a LONG read, but I have a build thread on this forum here:

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/146-ot...based-kit.html

But here is just a quick extract covering the wiring…

I did a DIY harness diet and tested the original loom indoors like so.

I had got it all working using the Triumph/Lucas fuse box and glass fuses.

But when the wiring loom went back in the car, I had an intermittent fault I just couldn’t trace.

After literally pulling the front loom to pieces, I finally discovered it was the fuse box itself.

So I bought a modern blade fuse type box instead and re-routed the wiring to that instead.

But I kept the original fuse box in place and simply put the cover back on.

So, it turns out that both our cars have a fake Lucas fuse box fitted.

Cheers, Paul.
post #367 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Paul:
A very cool build. Well done. Love all the great metal panel fabrication you did and I can see you know your way around the Lucas electrics.
Drive 'er like you stole 'er!! If you ever get across the pond to Florida, let me now. We can talk Lucas.
All the best
Ron
Paul L thanked this.
post #368 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:42 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Ron-

Awesome work as always!! I have really enjoyed following along with your build, and seeing all of the amazing detail you have put into your car!! I think it will be very difficult to to discern the originality question on many areas of your car! It's just freaking awesome!

Paul has done an amazing job with his build too, and he knows how I feel about his build, because of all my comments saying how awesome he is!

I do think there is a lot of overlap between what he did to that old triumph, and what you are doing to your FFR, as you both have discovered.

Keep up the awesome work, and thank you very much for providing us with the amazing details of your build!! You both rock!

Regards,

Steve
picah and Paul L thanked this.
post #369 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Steve:

Just a brief response to your overly kind note above. I cannot express enough the joy (and relief !) that I have gotten knowing that there is a large and incredibly knowledgeable groups of builders and professions out there who come to the immediate aid and rescue of people like me - someone who has worked a bit on cars over the years but jumped into the deep end of the pool to take on a project as immense as building a car, essentially from scratch. In truth, I would NEVER have begun this build without this forum and the people on it. Over the years I have met a few of them at LCS or in my garage if they were visiting SW FL. Lasting friendships seem to be made in minutes. How cool !

My goal was just like everyone here - to build the car the way they wanted it to be built and to have the pride in the final outcome that can only come from doing it yourself (with tons of help from this forum !!). My build took a bit of a path less traveled and there are times that I shook my head and wondered why I went this direction. But I always seem to bounce back and keep going. But knowing that I am able to give back and pay it forward on this forum by detailing my efforts to build my car, my way, gives me an enormous sense of satisfaction.

Again, thanks for your kind comment and following my build. And please (!!) feel free to comment when it looks like I am about to screw something up (or may have already done so). My a$$ has already been saved a few times by the guys out there !!

I hope 2020 is the year I get my neighbors angry at me for the exhaust noise (although quite a few have been waiting for a ride for a while now).

Best,
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
Ron-

Awesome work as always!! I have really enjoyed following along with your build, and seeing all of the amazing detail you have put into your car!! I think it will be very difficult to to discern the originality question on many areas of your car! It's just freaking awesome!

Paul has done an amazing job with his build too, and he knows how I feel about his build, because of all my comments saying how awesome he is!

I do think there is a lot of overlap between what he did to that old triumph, and what you are doing to your FFR, as you both have discovered.

Keep up the awesome work, and thank you very much for providing us with the amazing details of your build!! You both rock!

Regards,

Steve
WIS89 thanked this.
post #370 of 370 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:09 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Ron – Over the weekend I made my first trip to the Goodwood Revival.

At some point, I’ll update my own build thread with a full report and more photos.

Unfortunately, the ‘absolutely authentic’ Cobras I saw pre-date your 1966 427 S/C inspiration.

But when I saw this 1964 one with the hood up…

I took a quick look in the engine bay and had to laugh and think of you when I saw this…

No idea if it is functioning, or just for show, as the mechanic was hard at work.

Cheers, Paul.

PS
Here is a very short clip from their race.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-c...-cobra-battle/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement