Exhaust too loud, any suggestions? - Page 4 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 3Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Me Too...

I am wanting to, "Tone" down mine when I finally get an engine. My pipes have not been coated so I was thinking about going with Sweet Thunder inserts and possibly adding Dynatech Vortex cones if possible...

FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475hp/500lbs), TKO600, Power Steering/Brakes, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
Visit my Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Junior Charter Member

Your original question

I have the car chemistry 3 disk inserts in a pair of J pipes and like what they do. Car is still loud on acceleration, but cruise around town is more mellow. Above 70 on the interstate the wind noise overcomes the exhaust noise

MRKIII - 94 Donor - 5.8 - T5 Mid-Shift - Holley 650 DP - Team III 17'S - DuraSpark-HEI Ign
post #93 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:06 PM

SJDave, how are the zoomie inserts installed? Do you have to drill the pipes and bolt them in? Also, did you install yours with the fiberglass packing or without?

Thanks for the info.

Buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
SJDave, how are the zoomie inserts installed? Do you have to drill the pipes and bolt them in? Also, did you install yours with the fiberglass packing or without?

Thanks for the info.

Buddy
Yes, there is one hole for a 10-32 that goes through the pipes into a nut welded inside the insert. Mine are just sitting there between the headers and side pipes, I didn't want to drill the hole until I knew they worked.

Installed with the fiberglass packing. Fiberglass is rated at 1200 F and should last 10 to 15k miles unless you get a bunch of raw fuel passed thru and it gets wet, it "may" burn then according to Ken at CC. Replacement material is $10 to do all 8 inserts.

3.1 IRS Complete Kit #6616, June 08 delivery; 347 stroker; TKO 500 Mid Shift; SAI & Bumpsteer Mods; Manual Rack;
" At 60 there is no time left to delay your Dreams "
post #95 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtop View Post
Just to clarify a question about how to cut and roll the gutter screen...the screen comes in pre-curved 6" wide by 36" long pieces. Flatten it out and roll it along its length. You need 8" of circumference to make a 2.5" diameter "one-piece" tube. If you look closely at this picture you can see which direction the weave goes. Hope this helps.

Oldtop, did you use anything to secure the metal flange in there, such as copper RTV? I would think it may loosen up as the heat expands the circumference of the pipe and cause a rattle?

BTW that's very, clever.
Russ

MKIII, 302 FMS Crate, GT40 Heads, Quick Fuel carb, TK0500 Mid-shift, 3-Link, 300 RWHP & Trq. Finally done after two years. I think I will call her Black Betty

"It is only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you come to realize that there can be value in solving problems without using violence.
post #96 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:50 PM

No RTV copper, the endcap fits pretty snug. I secured it with two 1/8" rivets at the 3:00 and 8:00 position, viewed from the rear. Also just repacked mine using new pipe insulation and a piece of gutter screen 17" x 6". This doubles the screen and should help keep the insulation in.

FFR-5828, '93 GT donor, performer RPM heads, intake, cam, MSD 6AL, BG Demon 650RR, 3:55 gears, PSE 15" Halibrands, 3-link, Konis', viper red & wimbledon white.
post #97 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Senior Charter Member

Icon19 Deaf

I rode Harleys most of my life and a lot of the "old timers" that I talked to...well tried to talk to were deaf. It was a real pain having to holler when talking.
I wear ear plugs...the wind is a DEAFNER so to speak.

Take Care,
Ron

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.
post #98 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 PM

I have those and am very satisified with the results. I welded mine in before ceramic coating. Been in since 2001 and no change in sound.
post #99 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Supporting Vendor & Admin

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Wayne Presley
Turbos really quiet the exhaust

Wayne Presley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My contact info for bar code reader apps for smartphones

The X-Terminator - Twin Turbos feeding a Supercharged 4.6 DOHC
post #100 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:43 AM

Sweet Thunder Props

I sent my pipes to Mike at Sweet Thunder back in 05 and I'm very happy with sound (302). I used a 23" long inner baffle 2 1/4" dia; although I'd go with the longest baffle you could install to get a bit more mellow but this is a very simple and efficient way to go and Mike was a pleasure to work with.

post #101 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Junior Charter Member

I just finished making new J pipes inspired by the S-pipes, DV/DTs super porting/aero spike and the cross pipe set up tested in the exhaust shoot out. I took the pipes up to 3" diameter, put in an auger style muffler insert and added a 2.5" cross pipe.
The car has a nice rumble now without being obnoxiously loud. It feels like it might have lost a little top end power, but low and mid range is all there.

Build in progress: Roller [X] Engine in [X] First start [X] Go Cart [X] Body on [X] VIN Number/State inspection [X] Paint [X] Graduation [X] Done with upgrades [ ]

Mark III Roadster, 3 link, 3.55 rear, 302 EFI/w chip, AFR 165 1:1.7 roller, custom cam, 13" front 11.65" rear w. 45mm calipers custom brackets Porterfield R4-S, Dark Blue Ink w. silver stripes
post #102 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:40 PM
FFCars Craftsman

My friend is manufacturing a system for his coupe using sweet thunder pipes. I have seen the pipes and they are very good quality. He hopes to have some decibel reading when he finishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeE View Post
Sweet Thunder

I came across these I don't know if anyone has them but I am thinking of replacing the glass pack section of the side pipe with a section in each pipe.

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/chamber...html#stainless

I am estimating $200 mufflers, $150 to have pipes cut and these inserted, black grille paint.

post #103 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:43 PM

Super Trapps

If you want the noise on the street and still want to run auto-cross, use super trapps.
There are three of us down in San Diego running Trapps and they work.
We slip them into the end of the sidepipes and are still running less than 91 db on the track.
After you are done racing pull them out and put them in the box and drive home.

Dave

347 stroker, IRS, 3:27 gears, Willwood pedals, Edlebrock Air Gap Manifolld, Pro- Comp Aluminum Heads, Lunati Cam, Holley Street Avenger 670 cfm.
post #104 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 04:38 PM
FFCobra Master Craftsman
FFCars Captain

I had Sweet thunder make me a set of inserts (28" long ) to fit the same size pipe as the collector and turnout. This makes the all the pipe the same diameter. Highly recommend Sweet Thunder. Deep, rich sound.
post #105 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Junior Charter Member

What size or part number Super Trapp are you using?

I went to their web site and they have a bewildering area of combinations......
post #106 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 AM
FFCars Captain

SJDave, I am 62. If you really want to start acting your age, go with straight pipes and irritate everyone!
Younger next year,
Arch

FFR# 6530 non donor, IRS, small Block w/carb build.

Built to be driven. The mission statement for the build was - build a comfortable and fun long distance driving machine that is capable of spirited street driving and the occasional track outing.
post #107 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch F View Post
SJDave, I am 62. If you really want to start acting your age, go with straight pipes and irritate everyone!
Younger next year,
Arch
LOL Stop making me laugh Arch! I made some illegal go-carts runs around the block yesterday while carb tuning with ASTGlenn on the phone....maybe hit 60 in a 25 speedlimit...several neighbors called and asked if that was me making the noise....IT DID MAKE ME FEEL 16 YEARS OLD AGAIN driving this wonderful car. Ignorant of the law or any consequences!

Oh yeah, I had my drivers license for exactly 1 day when I was 16...then got it back from the authorities when I was 18. We had a '65 beetle then, I drilled out the clips for the hub caps, flipped the wheels around to make it a "WIDE TRACK", removed the exhaust tips, put a chrome velocity stack on the carb (no filter)....cranked up the AM radio to "RED Rubber Ball" by Gary and Pacemakers and proceeded to turn my subdivision into a race track...I HAD NEVER FELT THIS LEVEL OF ELATION IN MY ENTIRE LIFE...and only with 35 HP.... Must have been my 3rd lap around the 2 mile course I had been following when the siren and red lights appeared....he had been following me for 1 complete lap and I had not even noticed him. He just shook his head as he followed me home and left with my license in hand.

Is the Cobra a Fountain of Youth????

Maybe!

Dave

3.1 IRS Complete Kit #6616, June 08 delivery; 347 stroker; TKO 500 Mid Shift; SAI & Bumpsteer Mods; Manual Rack;
" At 60 there is no time left to delay your Dreams "
post #108 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:09 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Garage
Just for the opposite end, I was racing a few weeks ago, and pinged thier dB meter at over 96 decibels down the front stretch! Needless to say, I was black flagged and told to either quiet it down or cease. They had a 84 dB limit....

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, 331 CI 430 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
post #109 of 154 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

I just did Oldtops mod today after a few weeks gathering parts cause I couldn't find the pipe insulation-of course it was right there in Lowes all along.Fired the car up in the garage to go for a test drive and the difference is immediately obvious.Did a few 5-60 runs and I can't feel any power loss. I am REALLY happy w/ this mod especially considering the $45 price tag.Thanks for the research Oldtop!

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #110 of 154 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
FFCars Craftsman

One more kudos for Oldtop. I also had trouble finding fiberglass insulation. Went to four different hardware store, including Lowes and Home Depot, but no one had it. I bought course steel wool and wired it around the 2" inner tubing. The bark is gone and the overall dB is slightly lower. Also did a test run, and I can still burn out in 2nd. Good enough for me.

I can't compare with the sound of the fiberglass, but I guess I don't have to worry about my packing burning out. With less than $40 and under 2 hours of labor, I'm very happy with the results. Cheers, I'll buy you a cold one if we get a chance to meet.
post #111 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Garage
I noticed your post on the sidepipe noise reduction using Oldtop's idea, just not clear where or how much steel wool you added to the sidepipe, or was it in place of the pipe insulation...I have a totally blown out driver side muffler and figured this would be a good fix....Thanks
(I am in Huntington Beach, FFR MK3, 302, )
post #112 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Side pipes

I reckon my sidepipes were over 120 db, I thought they sounded absolutely great! Never even dreamt of using earplugs. Loved every minute of them!

Then I got the offer of a track day and I had three problems: 1) Noise - needed to be under 105 db. 2) Where we had converted the car to rhd, we had one new header made and clearly was out a bit as the sidepipe grounded in fast bends. 3) all the ceramic coating had burnt off, the pipes were going rusty and looked a bit grim.

I was very nervous of just inserting packing material for fear of damaging the engine.

We don't have the luxury of anyone over here with FFR experience, so I went to my local custom exhaust shop.

He reckoned that the reason they are so noisy is the there is little difference between the diameter of the input/output pipes and the silencer, so little room for packing material. The design is such that the silencer is also quite short, so again, not enough room for packing material

He also noticed that the header pipe diameter (Hook headers) is smaller than the pipe diameter of the four into one sidepipe pipes before the silencer - why? Makes them bulkier than neccessary so the sidepipes sit a way off the body.

The silencer had split at the mounting point, suggesting that there was insufficient support.

He made me a system that put the four into one collector under the wing, so the sidepipe now sits much closer to the car body. The silencer has a larger diameter and is much longer. Finally, he made a new mounting that sits on the tailpipe.

Ground clearance at the tailpipe is 3/5", so no issues. It is 111 decibels, so still not quiet enough for the track (they just asked me to throttle back and short shift!). I like the stainless steel, the system looks elegant if not unoriginal - and the sound? Nothing like as good!

Slightly disapointed if am honest. Is it slower? Possibly - don't really know.

How do I find a guy who really knows what he is doing?

Ian

First Mk 111 Roadster in UK and RHD. Ford 393W with Edelbrock RPM Performer = 475 bhp. Tremec TKO 600. Rear axle 3.55:1. IRS and Vintage pin-drive wheels. SVA passed, road legal 6th June 2008!!

Currently mid-Coupe build, chassis now right hand drive and powder coated. Steering, front and rear suspension on. Engine and gearbox in. Ford 351W engine with Edelbrock RPM Performer = 400bhp! Tremec TKO 500. Rear axle 3.55:1. IRS and Vintage pin-drive wheels.

post #113 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Another idea maybe already mentioned

When we were racing full time the different tracks had different noise restrictions and placement of the Db meters. Even the altitude and weather will change the noise pattern.

We used spiral core inserts with a combination of caps and lengths and that way you could tune each side and the total Db output. They didn't cost much HP until you got to the longest length and had to cap the inner tube. That would get you down to about 90 Db with a nice smooth sound witout a lot of big peaks on a 305 Chevy at about 400 HP. That also cost maybe 15 HP to achieve that lower noise level. They work best when you put them as far back in the exhaust system as possible.

These are not super cheap but they work well and they have a great tech guy who can tell you just about what works given the HP and cubic inch of the engine, header design etc.

http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/index.html

Ron

Racing: "The world's most efficient way to turn money into noise and smoke"
"Think with your dipstick, Jimmy"
"Anybody can BUY a car, only a chosen few build their own"
FFR Challenge car #4182SP Carbed 302, Holley 600CFM, E303 cam, T5, 3 link rear-3:55, Levy wheels, Kumho tires, Fire Safe fuel cell, Griffin race radiator, ISIS wiring system, MSD 6ALN NASCAR ignition, 85 Mustang distributor,
post #114 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraboyHB View Post
I noticed your post on the sidepipe noise reduction using Oldtop's idea, just not clear where or how much steel wool you added to the sidepipe, or was it in place of the pipe insulation...I have a totally blown out driver side muffler and figured this would be a good fix....Thanks
(I am in Huntington Beach, FFR MK3, 302, )
I pretty much used Oldtop's technique, but instead of fiberglass, wrapped coarse steel wool around the inner tube made by the steel cage. Used four wool packs per side. Then, I wrapped the wool on with bare steel wire to hold in. However, after about a month, I noticed the wool was blowing out. The sound quality did not diminish as far as I could hear, but ended up changing to the fiberglass tubes anyway.

So in essence, I tried to improve on Oldtop, but ended up using his technique to the letter! Its been months now, and the insert sounds just as good as before. Again, kudos to Oldtop.
post #115 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Garage
sidepipe baffle

OK, thanks for info, I am going with the steel wool for a quick check...as Lowes doesnt carry the fibreglass tubes at least in my area...although did find some at Graingers but would be shipped...will update with a new post on how these worked for me next week!
post #116 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:58 PM
FFCars Craftsman

For some reason, no one carries the formed fiberglass tubes in so cal. I searched far and wide, but finally came to a factory in Commerce. The people there were very nice and even gave me a sample for free. Even to buy its somewhere between $5-8 per 3 foot section. I can give you the name of the company if interested.
post #117 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Garage
sidepipe baffle

Yes, that would be great, maybe it will work better than the wool...I already made one side up using steel wool and it did make a diff, but really not as much as I expected. I think my driver sidepipe is blown out beyond hope and probably will end will end up opening the wallet for a full set but not the FFR pipes. Research first before handing over the bucks....thanks
post #118 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:43 PM
FFCobra Fanatic

You can use duct board fiberglass pealed and rolled or pipe insulation rolled to the diameter you need. Form the gutter guard an wrap the insulation around it then add the end cap, slide it in and secure.

331, RPM intake, TW heads, TF STG II cam, 3:55, powerjection III, 3550 trans, NT-03M Enkei 18x9.5 & 10.5, Goodyear Rival 275-35 \ 315-30, 3-link, Fast Freddies PS, ABS, 381 RWHP 361 RWTq
post #119 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:15 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraboyHB View Post
Yes, that would be great, maybe it will work better than the wool...I already made one side up using steel wool and it did make a diff, but really not as much as I expected. I think my driver sidepipe is blown out beyond hope and probably will end will end up opening the wallet for a full set but not the FFR pipes. Research first before handing over the bucks....thanks
I'm not sure if I should mention the company name on the open forum, so I'll send you a pm.

Peter
post #120 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Quietpipes Testimonial

Here is a reply from a Breeze customer who just installed his new Quietpipes:

"I installed the pipes yesterday and could not be more pleased!! They
> changed the car, transformed it into a street driver that's fun to
> drive around town. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
>
> Walt

2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement