Cockpit Progress Pics - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Icon18

I managed to get in a few hours the last couple of weekends doing things in small chunks. Looking back I managed to get quite a bit done. Here are the pics as proof.

Under dash panel covered and installed for a trial fit. Fits great! I still need to make up some small pieces to cover up the cross tube and wiring on the ends.

The closest knob controls the foot box vent valve for my heater. It’s now hooked up and works very nicely. Amazingly, the cable out of the Cavalier was the perfect length.

Led lights installed. Top two are green for the flashers, the next is blue for high beams, then orange for the alt light and then red for the check engine. All are clear when off.

"Can you imagine?!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Some updated pics of my parking brake mod with the aluminum handle I made up on the lathe.

Finally time to put on the rest of the trunk and rear cockpit aluminum. First step was to mount the panels (I drilled them some time ago) and mark where all the frame members go. I then masked them off the two main panels and sprayed them with rubberized rock guard wherever they are exposed.

[ October 13, 2007, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: dv/dt ]

"Can you imagine?!"

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

I went a different direction with the cockpit aluminum and installed it so that the majority of the seams would be on the outside. The seams would later be coated with the rock guard that hides them pretty well on the outside.

I also used a 1/8” x ¾” spacer between the rear wall and the upper ¾” tube to get rid of the weld bead issue that can cause the rear wall to buckle a bit.

Passenger side uncoated.

Driver side coated.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Junior Charter Member

Looks like I have a lot of work to do, after seeing that. Very very nice work.

Todd

302EFI AFR165 Edelbrock Performer Intake 4wheel disc 75mmMAF 70mmTB compcam 1.6 roller rocker
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:56 PM

Rod,

It's looking just great. Your work is top drawer, as always I'm impressed. Wondering what you covered the vanity panel under the dash with? Looks like it was pretty easy to work with? I need something for the inside of the custom glove box and door I've been fabbing.

Keep it up!

Chris.

SOLD - FFR 5642, 302, GT40p heads, E cam, 1.72 rollers, Performer RPM, Holley 670, MSD, 8.8 w/3.55s, 15\" Team IIIs & BFGs.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:59 PM
FFCars Captain

Good work dv...hope the garage is heated for the winter working months....get cold in Ottawa.

Regards
Kevin

Cobra Sold….63 Grand Sport on the horizon
My Cobra Website:
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

toddr, Thanks!

Hi Chris,
The dash and the panel were both covered with the same material which is a marine grade leatherette. It feels very much like the real thing and was fairly easy to work with.

SR71,
The garage is heated. I normally keep it at at about 40° and it takes about a half hour to come up to 65° when I want to work (even in sub-zero weather).

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:09 PM

Looks Great! Nice work. I really like your dash

MKIII, 4.6 Sohc, 3 Link, Konis, FFR Lower Crtl Arms, 3.73 R & P, Champ Pan, GM Blue Granite Metallic W/Silver Strips by Bat Man
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Looks great! Thanks for the pictorial update.

Mark

Thanks for all advice and help.

91 donor,MK III,I.R.S.,F5R1004910RD Graduated July 2007 My grad site
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 12:36 AM

Rod...you have the patience of a mole. Outstanding job. I wouldn't want to put carpet any place. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/silver.gif[/img]

FFR #4971 5.0 HO EFI (.040"), T-5z, FFR heater/wipers, heated seats, KONI coil-overs F/R, and a few other things. Fun work; always in progress.
WHEN YOU TURN ON YOUR CAR...DOES IT RETURN THE FAVOR?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Don Wright - Tangent Kits

You've got the touch!

dawjr

When people say I have ADD, I tell them they don't understand . . . Hey look, a chicken!

I don't like that bartender, he always waits until my third margarita to begin mixing them perfectly.

". . . only try to realize the truth, there is no spoon."

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:24 AM
FFCobra Fanatic

Nice job! Can't wait to see it done.

Sean

FFR#5046 - Supercharged 306, AFR165, carbed - Started 3/06, 1st start 6/16/06, Finished 12/23/2006.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 02:15 AM
BB

Looking good DV/DT,

We took the other approach and fit all the tabs inside the cockpit which will ultimately be covered with carpet.

In hind sight our approach took way too much time re-shaping all the panels and no one will likely ever notice the difference.

Your sheet metal looks perfect! Nice work.

-Bill
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 02:25 AM

Thumbs up

You are doing one heckuva fine job my friend...
I really like the finished look of the tray underneath the dash - and of course all the Billet-Trinkets! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Curious - I may have missed it in another post but in the picture below, you have a special piece in the passenger foot-well - Is that for header clearance??

Regards - Randy
Racecar & HotRod Fab/Support
1933 Ford Tudor StreetRod
2017 Ford Raptor / 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 02:25 AM

Really nice stuff Rod!! Good progress, nice touches. Top notch work.
cheers [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]
c

"If I wanted a British car that didn't need tinkering, I would have bought a.......nevermind"
MKIII F5R1004802 non-donor FE toploader 3link/coil-overs
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a million guys!! Glad you like it.

Mumblerone,
Please no references to moles, you'll have Cory Cobra trying to take me out!

BB,
All the posts I've see seem to say the panels are designed for the tabs to go on the inside. But I did have very little fitting to get them to come out with with the tabs on the outside compared to what you describe so maybe that isn't the case.

Randy,
Thanks bud!! You got it right about the little piece in the pax foot box. I got a little carried away with my expansion and had to make this up to clear the headers. Here's a couple of pics from the other side.

More pics of the footbox here:

https://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultima.../t/009390.html

All the best, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:59 AM
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who dont
FFCars Master Craftsman

Rod,
Where did you get that under dash panel? or is that another creation of yours? Nice work by the way! I have been plugging away at work, Hopefully, I will be able to order my Kit in May (maybe sooner) and delivery by June (or earlier)
Thanks again!
Ben [img]graemlins/blue2.gif[/img]
p.s. nice kill switch in the glove box!

[ October 14, 2007, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Ben Smith ]

\"Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of quality; the other, a matter of time\"
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Great job Rod, I love the personal touch!!!

FFR4020, Black w/ red stripes...SOLD
GTM delivered Mar 28th, First start Sept 7, First ride Sept 27, LS376 (480hp), New Carquip G50-20 6-speed, Kooks, isis, iForged
FFR4020, Bought back again.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:33 AM
consummate slacker

All the work you do makes me think I'm not working hard enough on mine. Your finished car will surely be one of the best this forum has ever seen.

FFR6102RD delivered 5-6-07, first start 12-10-07. Go-Cart 1-24-08. Paint and bodywork complete 1/10/09. Tagged and titled 4/10/09. Graduation 9/3/09
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 10:57 AM

Rod - GREAT job on the under dash panel...nice clean look!

Is your engine a 302 or 351? I am also running the 4 into 4s with a similar PS footbox mod with a 302. Could end up having to perform surgery.

Brian
  • Graduation: 07/13/08
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 12:55 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Craftsman

As usual everything is impressive. I'm surprised no one mentioned the thermos cup.

MK II, 5.0 EFI, 3-link, Brodix heads. Picked up Aug \'04, completion TBD.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ben,
How's life?? Hope the purchase plans work out for you! That's not a kill switch, it's for putting the computer into diagnostic mode so the check engine light will flash the codes. Posted about it here: https://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.../1.html#000000

I made up the under dash panel. My dash is moved forward an inch and when I cut the dash I left the drive side extension straight on the bottom (not curved for the Mustang flasher switch). Here are a couple of pics before it was covered.

LKNSnake,
Mine is a 302. I moved the side of the footbox right over to the 4" tube so if that is what you did you probably will need to clearance it.

gumbo al,
I thought about selling those but then what would I do with all the cupless thermos bottles? Sort of like trying to sell muffin bottoms (Seinfeld).

Thanks again for all the kind comments!

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 05:32 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

did somebody drop a viagra in your gas tank? [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Junior Charter Member

Wow, you made so many mods to address issues that I've lost count. Incredible. Nice work Rod! Can't wait to see what's next.

JT

Just a shadetree mechanic trying to build a MKIII, FE 427, 2-4\'s, NASCAR Toploader, Trigo wheels, pin drive IFS/IRS. Leaning towards black...
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 11:42 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Cool

Rod,
Life is good! My wife is a God send! She is just as excited about this project as I am! I should be placing my order in the spring, but we will see what happens. I am working long hours and getting paid rather well, no reason why I can't jump in and do this. Any way, what's you plans for paint and body work? you've done most everything you can so far, and the roll bar stop LED's are awesome by the way! How come you don't have a link to those?
Have a good one!

[ October 14, 2007, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Ben Smith ]

\"Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of quality; the other, a matter of time\"
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

What are you using for the rubberized rock guard spray on the panels?

The pic showing the coat on the wheel well alumn looks like something else. Is it?

Nice work!

SOLD - FFR5596RD MKIII. Recv'd 7/06 completed 6/08.

Levy Racing Stage 5 408w, MassFlo, I^2, IRS, Levy Konis, 17" FR500, Wilwood brakes.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Send a message via AIM to richcam1
Rod, Looking impressive! [img]graemlins/drool.gif[/img] Nice work!

Cheers,
Rich

Two steps forward one step back - must be building a car!
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again!

Eddie,
Don't go there man!

Ben,
Glad life is going well for you and the new Mrs! Still have to finish up the high mount brake lights and figure out exactly what i'm doing with the roll bars. Currently PC'd but I may do something different (go figure).

Darren,
It's just some spray can stuff from Gunk. If I was doing it again I think I would get some herculiner and roll it on.

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Rod,

It looks amazing. Mine is headed slowly towards a roller and was curious if you would be interested in fabricating another of parking handle you made. Had been wanting something similar, hadn't found it and yours is really great looking. If you have the time and desire, what would you want for something like yours. Thanks.

Judd

Judd
MKIII, FRPP 306, FRPP T-5 Worldclass, 4 wheel discs, 17 inch hallibrand. CobraEarl Vented Footbox, TriStates Heater, Heated Seats...We are go for inspection!!! Go Cart - 3/30/13, Completed and Painted 9/22/17
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:54 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Rod,
Have you decided on a color yet? after all the mods you have done, That Cobra deserves a down right awesome paint job! Yeah, things are good, the Mrs. treats me right and I feel as though I won the lottery! Guess we will see what happens this Spring with regards to ordering my Kit, looks very promising so far!
Have a good one!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement