Factory Five Racing Forum banner

TKO 600 fluid?

42K views 57 replies 40 participants last post by  RET_COP 
#1 ·
Guys,

Sorry if this is obvious but what tranny fluid do I use in my TKO 600? I used the search and didn't find the answer. I also looked in my garage for the manual last night but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Garrick.

#3 · (Edited)
Royal Purple also makes a synchro-max fluid which is the full synthetic replacement to the GM syncomesh. I've been running that for yrs.

#6 ·
GM Syncromesh (so says the Tremec manual) - check Forte and Breeze prices before going to GM dealer. My local GM dealer was almost twice the price per quart.

#9 ·
Hi,
The GM# 12345349 is what Tremec recommends.
Mike

#10 ·
Actually I have no idea but since the q's been answered so many times I thought I'd pile on just to irritate Wayne!!

:devil2::glare:

#20 ·
Ah - Yep - That's what I'd use...

Of course you could use Royal Purple's Synchro-Max oil as well..

I'd double check with a few others....

:)

#15 ·
Hi,
You'll need 3 quarts.
Mike

#18 ·
You're all wrong!

It's GM Synchromesh!

#19 ·
Wow, you mean I put GM crap in my Ford?

#27 ·
No, not crap. Synchromesh! Crap would be too viscous, especially for break-in.

Cheers, John

#21 ·
Approximately 5.28635 Pints, more or less.

John S.

#23 ·
I called the Tremec tech line a while ago and asked the same question. Their tech guy stated that Dexron III should be used for the first 1000 miles and then you can use the GM synchromesh. The tech guy stated its the same as engine. Would you use synthetic to break in an engine. The answer is "NO" in my book. Pennzoil makes the GM synchromesh. You can find it at AZ and its much cheaper.

#24 ·
Here read this:

www.5speedtransmissions.com/faq.html#BreakinProcedure

What is the proper break-in procedure for a TREMEC TR-3550/TKO 5sp?
A:

Put 3qt of good quality ATF (Auto Transmission Fluid) (Dexron) into the transmission. Pour in through shifter mount, or through one of the top plates. You can use the fill plug on the side of the transmission also (afterall, that's what it's for!). It's just easier to pour it in from the top if you can.
Put car on jacks, run the transmission up and down through all gears repeatedly for 15 minutes. This will allow the gears to break in properly (yes, with the engine running)
After 500-700 miles, drain the ATF, and put in 3qt of the GM Synchromesh fluid, the part number is 12345349. If it's a race car only, then switch to the GM Synchromesh after the initial break-in.
Don't use synthetic lube for 6000-8000 miles. In fact, we don't recommend synthetic, just stick with the GM Synchromesh.

#25 ·
Arn't you glad you asked?

I think we killed this one?

Are we really sure it is GM ...

#26 ·
Baby - my quote is direct from the 600 data sheet that arrived with the box this week, same as the one a year ago with the previous 600 - you may rely on a pre 500 or 600 web site, but I will go with factory recomendations................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.