Ford Engine Advice Needed. - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Doug

Ford Engine Advice Needed.

Hello all. I'm researching for a potential kit car project that I would like to do and thought I would get some engine knowledge here.

It's for a front engine rwd two seater roadster type of vehicle around 2,200 pounds. Skinny tires, simple suspension. It would be a sunny day country road cruiser. No track days are sought, no tire melting 0-60 time needed. Just a nifty little car with some pep. 150-200 horsepower would suit me just fine.

I'm looking for ease of maintenance and simplicity and it would need to be an inline engine. I am also a double amputee, so I need an automatic transmission. I know that's blasphemy to many and I totally get it, but it's an unavoidable requirement.

From looking online, I think a 2.0 or 2.3 four cylinder inline engine would be a good place to start. An intake manifold for a single or double carburetor setup. And, a Ford AOD transmission. Overdrive wou;d really be preferred.

Can such a setup be created? Can a rear wheel drive AOD Tranny work with a small 4 cylinder inline? Can I get a 4I engine from a Focus or other 90s or 2000 car and strip it and carb it up without too much complication?

Any other suggestions for engine/transmission combos are welcome. I just need them to have the three requirements of 1) Inline cylinders. 2) Automatic rwd transmission. 3) Simple setup and maintenance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:13 PM

I would look into Ford's 2300 cc 4 cyl engine. It should meet the specs you request.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:19 AM

Wow, reading this brought back memories of a kit car I built back in the 80’s.

This website contains tons of info on all the Ford and Mazda in line 4 cylinders.
https://motor-car.net/ford-engines-t...line-4-engines

My advice is buy a clunker car of the motor and tranny you choose to use. Summit has many rebuilt long blocks that would be perfect for a project car but it would require all the tin work and electrical parts from the clunker. Buying new and separate parts would almost cost as much as the long block. The rebuilt long block would also require a core block from the old car. The core charges can be as much as $500 if you don’t have one. While you’re working on the motor, send the tranny out to be refurbished at automatic transmission shop.

Finding performance parts for older inline 4’s is hard now, but I’m sure the newer motors have plenty of sources.

Good luck on your project.

Last edited by Brewha; 11-06-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 01:34 PM
MJN

I understand your wish to keep it simple but if I had a similar project I would take the time and effort to install a later model drive train knowing that performance, power, gas mileage and of course maintenance would be the equivalent of a current vehicle. I know this package is a manual but they will source auto packages for you. Their pallet engine kits are about as complete as you are going to get. https://thepartsfarm.com/collections...ansmission-kit

Mike....
FFR2100 - 331 With Kenne Bell 1500 Blower. T5 and 8.8 w\' 3.08\'s. Best ET 11.71 @ 117
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:18 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Nice lead on pallet kits!

One of those would make an interesting alternative lightweight Roadster engine.

Last edited by Mark Reynolds; Today at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement