It's a true Backdraft, not a replica like Factory Five... - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By raceral

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

It's a true Backdraft, not a replica like Factory Five...

Watching some videos and saw this. I was like WTF? Cool car, but see 2:28- I have to shake my head.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Husband/Father/Son

Don't get wrapped up in someone elses bad PR.
If you have to put down another vehicle to make yourself feel self important, well..............

For whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee

John Donne

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:50 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Yup, and I have a true factory five roadster, not a replica of a factory five. Plus, it was built in the USA, not South Africa and imported like some other replicas.
Whatever, if you are going to have a measuring contest, at least get the facts straight.

MK4 7869, gen 1 Coyote, TR-3650, 3-link, power steering/brakes, ABS
0-60: 3.0sec (FFR GPS speedo verified)
1/4 mile: [email protected] (prior to intake and dyno tune)
393.5 rwtq @ 4900 rpm
452 rwhp @ 7100 rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:45 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

uhhhh yeah man like errr MY fake rolex has genuine zirconias in it.

vids:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

web page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Most people don't know the difference, 85 to 95% of the time First question that I'm asked is....."is it real"?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 12:06 AM
Administrator

I tell you what; that has a freakish motor in it! I wonder what it's like on a road course? Too much power for me...

David Hodgkins, AKA CNGreen

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS

Delivered 4/23/06.

. Plates! 1/2010 BatCave! 1/2012.
Featured Roadster, 2012 and 2013 Huntington Beach Cruise-In
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Didn't he mean to say, "all we did was have people put the engine in for us"?

If a roadster doesn't have an aluminum body made by AC, it is a replica. My Final Answer!

Coupe 0652-408W/510 hp-TKO600 .64OD-3.73 TractionLok-3 Link-26x10 front 26x12 15" Mickey Thompson-Heat and A/C- Complete Kit-First Start 7/10/15 First Go Kart 8/15/15 Painted 11/12/16 Titled and Registered 3/24/17 Legally on the road 4/20/17
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:18 PM

"It's a REAL Backdraft, not a replica."

I almost coughed up a lung...

"It's a REAL FiberFab Valkyrie, not a replica."

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Who wants a "real""true" Cobra anyway ??? What are you gonna do with it ? Put it in your living room and wish you could drive it ?
Ah, sooooo much hate and soooo little time.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
I tell you what; that has a freakish motor in it! I wonder what it's like on a road course? Too much power for me...

If it can't hook up in a straight line, a road course would eat it alive.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Comments like that just prove some people should not talk and think at the same time. Or maybe they just don't think at all....
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:28 AM

That thing sounds like a NASCAR car.
Mike
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Banned

Is it only me that I found this post a little bit sarcastic? My friend from DSRLeasing was bragging about a real cobra some time ago, not a mention since then lol.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Love the car...looks sharp as heck and sounds amazing. Ruined the video with that silly comment though can't take anything away from that build though..wow
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:53 AM

Garage
One of the worse body shapes ever
jcdat thanked this.

Thanks,
AL Adkins
Stoneville NC.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:50 AM

Is it the rear fender flares to which you make that comment?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:20 AM

I'm kind of surprised the windshield was able to withstand the air pressure at that speed.

2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:14 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Compare car profiles

Agreed, and as shown in the above famous photo comparison, the Backdraft has a windshield significantly more upright than other Cobras.

They also seem to be significantly higher off the ground. Maybe it's the way the sidepipes always sit, but to me it always looks like more air under the car.

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:28 PM
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
Compare car profiles

Agreed, and as shown in the above famous photo comparison, the Backdraft has a windshield significantly more upright than other Cobras.

They also seem to be significantly higher off the ground. Maybe it's the way the sidepipes always sit, but to me it always looks like more air under the car.
Too bad that picture collection doesn't have the Mk4 Factory Five. That's clearly a Mk3 or earlier. The Mk4 body shape -- especially the angle and height of the rear fenders and deck -- is quite different. It's especially noticeable when you have them side-by-side.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvhdude View Post
Is it the rear fender flares to which you make that comment?
Yes, the nose turns down way to fast. Too much slope and the rear end too short.

Thanks,
AL Adkins
Stoneville NC.

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
Too bad that picture collection doesn't have the Mk4 Factory Five. That's clearly a Mk3 or earlier. The Mk4 body shape -- especially the angle and height of the rear fenders and deck -- is quite different. It's especially noticeable when you have them side-by-side.
I know I've taken a side-by-side photo but it's probably buried deep in the photo storage files right now. Did come across this one which while isn't true profiles still shows the difference between the perky butt black Mk3 and red Mk4.

I like Backdrafts but yeah, some of their lines are kind of exaggerated. They are a bit bigger in all dimensions too; longer wheelbase, length, width, etc. I think of them as being like a Cobra done at 105%.

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Don't get wrapped up in someone elses bad PR.
If you have to put down another vehicle to make yourself feel self important, well..............
Exactly!
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:36 AM

I had someone say this to me recently. Now I don't have my FF Cobra yet, but I asked them if 'someone' assembled the Backdraft Cobra back in South Africa. They said "yes", then I said, well, what's the difference? Then I asked what compression and cam were they running, and the wheels fell off. Now we know the true difference...
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:05 PM
FFCars Craftsman

I was at a show this past weekend when a yellow “cobra” with black stripes backed in so our cars were rear-to-rear. It had a single roll bar with a brake light embedded and a backup light bolted to the bumper. But what caught my attention was his tag - YES IT IS which is a great juxtaposition to mine - DIYCBRA. Listening to him talk over the course of the night, he said things like “factory built in South Africa in a factory Carrol Shelby had an interest in.” When pushed he would mention that he was the third owner of a car built in 1999. By the end of the night he would only say “its titled as a 65 Ford.” When we talked he was proud of the fact that he only ever put gas in it. He said people that built them were always tinkering and working on the cars. I shrugged my shoulders and said I had a number of things I planned on doing when I got the chance.

I don’t understand how you can drive a superformance and convince yourself that it’s a real cobra. It was obvious that he was having a progressively harder time with that line as the night went on.

FFR5778, del 10/25/06, non-donor, Mass-Flo, FFMetal footboxes, DWC trunk box & dead pedal, I2, Ford 302 crate motor, mostly Breeze for the rest.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:46 AM

The "built, not bought" slogan can go both ways apparently. My first Cobra I built back in 1992 I build my own Chassis based on sound technology at the time and a Classic roadsters body. the CR body is by no means stock looking, but it does have some unique features. When I went to Cobra country events, everyone asked who built it? I did. who built your car? "oh, I bought it already assembled, i had a shop install the engine and transmission". The only other guys in the club who could say they built their cars were the Factory Five Cobra owners. That's why i respect the Factory Five cars and why my next car will be a FFR roadster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement