Factory Five Racing Forum banner

No fenders? Seems tough on paint

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Scalded Dog 
#1 ·
I searched this forum and couldn't find anything definitive to answer this question, but for those with these hot rod with no fenders, how's the paint on the side of the car/truck holding up. On my Cobra with sticky tires, the areas behind the tires take a beating. My side pipes get sandblasted and the spat guards are a little worse for wear.

I think the look is super cool, but it just seems the paint on the car/truck would look pretty toasty after a couple of years.

#3 ·
So far, after 4 years & 20,000 KMs, NO chips in paint. I think if you run rear fenders with no running boards, the front of the rear fenders will get beat. The angle that debris thrown by the front wheels hit the body is extremely oblique and doesn't really cause much harm. I do try and stay off gravel roads.

#4 ·
My thoughts exactly. 8 years on the road with no fenders and around 8K miles and no issues. I think a lot has to do with the quality of paint and body work though too. A good high quality clear has better chip resistance. I don;t even have chips on the underside of the rear fender wells. But on a Cobra, yea the front edge of the front fenders is right in line of fire and protective film or metal spats is almost required.

#7 ·
I asked this same question on the Factory Five forum and the answer was definitely yes, rock chips are just part of what you get with no fenders. As said above stay off gravel roads, but it's inevitable that sooner or later you will get a chip. I would think some clear wrap, particularly in the front would help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.