Meet the new Factory Five '35 Hot Rod Pick-Up Truck! - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
'33 Hot Rod Forum sponsored by classic E/T Wheels Call (510) 895-8880
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery
Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing '33 Hot Rod > Factory Five '33 Hot Rod Forum Sponsored by E/T Wheels
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Thanks Tree33Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Meet the new Factory Five '35 Hot Rod Pick-Up Truck!

Ask anyone who knows me and they'll admit that I can't keep a secret very well. Which makes this introduction of our latest Factory Five more surprising that ever. Last year, we introduced our all-new Gen 3 Coupe at SEMA. What I didn't tell anyone back then was that we had already begun work on this new, and very different, Factory Five Truck.

A year later, we are done with most of the tooling and getting ready to go to production at the beginning of 2018!

This truck is a new direction for us in a few ways. First of all, it has a bench seat so now you can take your girl along with the dog (joke there). This truck has street-rod cruiser style, but, like all Factory Fives, it has performance in it's DNA and will outrun just about anything on four wheels. The chassis is derived from our proven award-winning '33 Hot Rod.

I hope you like what we've designed. The truck is debuting at SEMA, and pre-orders can be placed on our website now! Click here for more.

Dave Smith
President
barnsbury thanked this.
FACTORYFIVERACING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

FFR35 Truck

Good afternoon Dave. As the proud owner of an early MKII both my wife and I would like to comment on the new offering. We both love classic trucks. That being said we would like to see fenders, running boards, more ground clearance and a more usable bed area. A truck can be a corner carver, tire roasting monster, but occasionally it should be able to actually be used for a practical purpose. Are there plans to offer such options? We would be really interested in this truck if there are just a few options that suit our needs.
Thank you for the opportunity to respond with suggestions.
Ken Thompson

No Guts, No Glory!
Illinois2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
FFCars Major

Pretty sure the frame won't allow a lower bed. You could always add stakes for some extra cargo capabilities, but remember this isn't a 1/2 ton pickup, it's a race car that looks like a truck.
I believe the fenders, etc. for the standard '33 kit will fit this one.
Arrowhead thanked this.

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
but remember this isn't a 1/2 ton pickup, it's a race car that looks like a truck.
Finally someone that gets it.
FFR '33 #78
Picked up 5/30/09

Arrowhead's '33 Hot Rod Build Site:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

So it's a race car, but like the '33 it hasn't got a roll cage that would allow it to actually be raced. A properly braced roll cage inside that body is impossible.
daveS53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
FFCars Major

FFS...just don't buy one then. I'm sure there are a ton of other companies out there making tube-framed, vintage-style Ford pickups that are exactly like you want....

Old 11-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveS53 View Post
So it's a race car, but like the '33 it hasn't got a roll cage that would allow it to actually be raced. A properly braced roll cage inside that body is impossible.
Not entirely sure why you hang out here Dave, you don't have much good to say about FFR, you read up on posts by other builders and relay the negative issues you find (over and over again) you are not now nor have you built nor are you going to build any FFR to my knowledge and you keep yammering on about how awesome a build your car is. Why bother?

As far as the "race car" comment, you can go to any SCCA sanctioned auto cross run in the country and run any FFR. Expecting FFR to provide a base chassis that will meet the requirements of some unknown sanctioning body is just ludicrous, What kind of race car? What class?

Funny part is, the same flame wars seem to fire up every time FFR introduces a new model ('33, 818 and now the '35). It goes on for about a year until kits are sold and built and get out into the wild. I think the hot rod is over 1200 sold now, so I guess quite a few people have decided to over look the "major short falls" you claim the car has. I'm pretty confident the same will happen with the '35 truck.
Buggs, M DOUGHERTY, Forbye4 and 6 others thanked this.
FFR '33 #78
Picked up 5/30/09

Arrowhead's '33 Hot Rod Build Site:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

ditto!!!!

Is this not why we take what they provide and make it our own? All FFR clients can take pride in saying they are custom car builders... I think that is what this is all about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead View Post
not entirely sure why you hang out here dave, you don't have much good to say about ffr, you read up on posts by other builders and relay the negative issues you find (over and over again) you are not now nor have you built nor are you going to build any ffr to my knowledge and you keep yammering on about how awesome a build your car is. Why bother?

As far as the "race car" comment, you can go to any scca sanctioned auto cross run in the country and run any ffr. Expecting ffr to provide a base chassis that will meet the requirements of some unknown sanctioning body is just ludicrous, what kind of race car? What class?

Funny part is, the same flame wars seem to fire up every time ffr introduces a new model ('33, 818 and now the '35). It goes on for about a year until kits are sold and built and get out into the wild. I think the hot rod is over 1200 sold now, so i guess quite a few people have decided to over look the "major short falls" you claim the car has. I'm pretty confident the same will happen with the '35 truck.
edwardb and foristell thanked this.
andreast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
S13

I think the truck looks awesome! Going to try convince my friend to build one instead of the C10 build he has been planing. Im interested in seeing what they did for the gas tank. I don't see a filler anywhere.
S13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Arrowhead, I thought I was the only one that sensed that DaveS' comments were generally pretty negative. Uniquely negative from a guy who hasn't built one. The routine gets pretty boring after a while. I too think it is strange to hang out just to beat up on products that you have no interest in, and provide help predominantly when it refers someone back to the car he worked on.

It's a shame that folks don't always come here in the spirit of community. It's also a shame that someone decides to poke holes in a car (truck) that hasn't even been released yet. We know some of what the '35 truck includes (or will include), but not everything. And, as others have pointed out, the ability to customize every FFR is what makes these cars so great. It offers each of us a chance to improve or change anything we wish, whether an actual weakness or not.

I think the truck looks pretty cool, and I hope FFR does great with it! For whatever my $.02 is worth...

Regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Not entirely sure why you hang out here Dave, you don't have much good to say about FFR, you read up on posts by other builders and relay the negative issues you find (over and over again) you are not now nor have you built nor are you going to build any FFR to my knowledge and you keep yammering on about how awesome a build your car is. Why bother?

As far as the "race car" comment, you can go to any SCCA sanctioned auto cross run in the country and run any FFR. Expecting FFR to provide a base chassis that will meet the requirements of some unknown sanctioning body is just ludicrous, What kind of race car? What class?

Funny part is, the same flame wars seem to fire up every time FFR introduces a new model ('33, 818 and now the '35). It goes on for about a year until kits are sold and built and get out into the wild. I think the hot rod is over 1200 sold now, so I guess quite a few people have decided to over look the "major short falls" you claim the car has. I'm pretty confident the same will happen with the '35 truck.
edwardb, CVOBill, roadracer and 1 others thanked this.
WIS89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Anyone who thinks I "yammer" about how great my build is hasn't paid much attention.

What I warn about is products made so poorly that they doom the buyer to spending enormous amounts of time and money, trying to make them function properly. I would not recommend that anyone buy a car like mine. It was a total nightmare to build, with no provisions for power windows, one door latch placed 3 inches higher than the other, significant misalignment of the upper A-arm mounts, springs that were far too stiff, a power brake booster that was far too small, a grille that was complete junk and gelcoat that up to 1/2 inch thick in places, requiring total rebuild of the door and trunk openings. The transmission mount did not have a removable center section, to allow the tailshaft to drop down for removal with the engine in place. The rear end housing was a new 9 inch Ford from John's 9 inch factory, but the axles looked like used junk that had been shortened and resplined. I measured about .015 inch of runout on the axle face - about 5 times what it should be. There went $400 for some new Currie axles. I got an $800 stainless steel gas tank from Tanks, Inc. that leaked. I had to drain it, remove and weld on it twice before I got all the leaks patched.

After the car was completed, my windshield got hit by a large rock, but did no apparent damage. When I got home, I was wiping it off when it exploded into a million pieces. Oze had sold me three tempered glass windshields that could get a person killed if they exploded while driving. I did get three replacement windshield made from laminated glass, with no charge.

I took the lousy grille, cut it apart so it would fit, then sent it to Alumicraft to use as a model to make a new grille. $1800 and 15 months later I got a beautiful grille that fit properly.

The power window project alone took about 80 hours per door. I estimate at least 3000 hours went into the project, with about 500 hours in body work, plus many more for paint.

Anyone thinking of buying a car from Oze Rod shop should think twice before buying - your're in for a world of problems.

I can brag that the car was 100% owner built and it looked good enough to get the top award in the homebuilt heaven class at the last Good guys car show. It's not a race car but I can drive it in the rain and wash it without water intrusion.

Last edited by daveS53; 11-02-2017 at 07:38 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
Arrowhead, I thought I was the only one that sensed that DaveS' comments were generally pretty negative. Uniquely negative from a guy who hasn't built one. The routine gets pretty boring after a while. I too think it is strange to hang out just to beat up on products that you have no interest in, and provide help predominantly when it refers someone back to the car he worked on.
Regards, Steve
I've wondered and thought all the same things a number of times. On both forums BTW. Your car is awesome. Nothing FFR has to offer is any good. We get it.
Mike D, Derald Rice, CVOBill and 1 others thanked this.
Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
edwardb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveS53 View Post
Anyone who thinks I "yammer" about how great my build is hasn't paid much attention.

What I warn about is products made so poorly that they doom the buyer to spending enormous amounts of time and money, trying to make them function properly. I would not recommend that anyone buy a car like mine. It was a total nightmare to build, with no provisions for power windows, one door latch placed 3 inches higher than the other, significant misalignment of the upper A-arm mounts, springs that were far too stiff, a power brake booster that was far too small, a grille that was complete junk and gelcoat that up to 1/2 inch thick in places, requiring total rebuild of the door and trunk openings. The transmission mount did not have a removable center section, to allow the tailshaft to drop down for removal with the engine in place. The rear end housing was a new 9 inch Ford from John's 9 inch factory, but the axles looked like used junk that had been shortened and resplined. I measured about .015 inch of runout on the axle face - about 5 times what it should be. There went $400 for some new Currie axles. I got an $800 stainless steel gas tank from Tanks, Inc. that leaked. I had to drain it, remove and weld on it twice before I got all the leaks patched.

After the car was completed, my windshield got hit by a large rock, but did no apparent damage. When I got home, I was wiping it off when it exploded into a million pieces. Oze had sold me three tempered glass windshields that could get a person killed if they exploded while driving. I did get three replacement windshield made from laminated glass, with no charge.

I took the lousy grille, cut it apart so it would fit, then sent it to Alumicraft to use as a model to make a new grille. $1800 and 15 months later I got a beautiful grille that fit properly.

The power window project alone took about 80 hours per door. I estimate at least 3000 hours went into the project, with about 500 hours in body work, plus many more for paint.

Anyone thinking of buying a car from Oze Rod shop should think twice before buying - your're in for a world of problems.

I can brag that the car was 100% owner built and it looked good enough to get the top award in the homebuilt heaven class at the last Good guys car show. It's not a race car but I can drive it in the rain and wash it without water intrusion.
And this all is relevant to your comments regarding FFR's 35 pickup in what way?

Jeff
Forbye4, WIS89 and CVOBill thanked this.
Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

JKleiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKleiner View Post
And this all is relevant to your comments regarding FFR's 35 pickup in what way?

Jeff
I guess you didn't read the accusations that all I do is brag about my car and put down FFR. I'm beginning to think you're all a little dense. I spend most of my efforts trying to help those with generic problems that affect all cars built from scratch. If you doubt that, please review my post history instead of making things up.

Yes, I criticize FFR, because they sell kits with some of the same problems that plagued my build and they don't fix known problems, according to those still buying the kits.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Pretty sure the frame won't allow a lower bed. You could always add stakes for some extra cargo capabilities, but remember this isn't a 1/2 ton pickup, it's a race car that looks like a truck.
I believe the fenders, etc. for the standard '33 kit will fit this one.
Well I don't believe the rear fenders will 'fit this one".
Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 View Post
I think the truck looks awesome! Going to try convince my friend to build one instead of the C10 build he has been planing. Im interested in seeing what they did for the gas tank. I don't see a filler anywhere.
I think the filler is on the back, when you lower the gate... (or at least that is what it looks like in the pictures on the FFR website)
j33ptj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Period correct

The more and more I look at the FFR creation and compare it to the REAL thing, the more I see that they have hit the mark, but of course this is still a Hot Rod that every builder will be able to make their own!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935ReoSpeedwagon_01_700.jpg (132.7 KB, 86 views)
andreast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreast View Post
The more and more I look at the FFR creation and compare it to the REAL thing, the more I see that they have hit the mark, but of course this is still a Hot Rod that every builder will be able to make their own!
FFR did a very good job overall! a few areas that could be improved on, but just like all the other cars FFR comes out with, they get better over time as FFR "tweaks" on them

andreast, the truck you posted is a 1935 Reo Speedwagon. Here is a link to the story behind that one. https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2011/1...eo-speedwagon/

David
andreast thanked this.
Vman7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
FFCars Major

Well I don't believe the rear fenders will 'fit this one".

I saw Dave answer a questions regarding fenders and he said they would be available. Maybe not right off the '33, but they will offer them.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33ptj View Post
I think the filler is on the back, when you lower the gate... (or at least that is what it looks like in the pictures on the FFR website)
That will be change to the floor of the bed in production.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS

Delivered 4/23/06.

. Plates! 1/2010 BatCave! 1/2012.
Featured Roadster, 2012 and 2013 Huntington Beach Cruise-In
David Hodgkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Cool How much can it haul? Is there a TD option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
That will be change to the floor of the bed in production.

OK, but will there be a turbo diesel option so I can pull a fifth wheel with it?

What about a plow option for you rust-belters?

LOL,
Will
Mike D, Forbye4 and WIS89 thanked this.
red w/white stripes
PC Chassis, heat/defrost, Halibrand-style 15's, footbox vents, Breeze headrest, dual quad 427W, rebuilt T5, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car

Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

Last edited by LuvAZ; 11-04-2017 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: added plow request
LuvAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2017, 08:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think it's fantastic! This may have to be the next build after my MK4, thanks FFR for ensuring I have to stay in the workforce for another few years
WIS89 thanked this.
glastron351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2017, 05:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
33 HR #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvAZ View Post
OK, but will there be a turbo diesel option so I can pull a fifth wheel with it?

What about a plow option for you rust-belters?

LOL,
Will
That would be sweet, welderup style. 6.7 cummins may fit. 700 HP, 1500 ft lbs of torque dually wheels and a gooseneck hitch. May need a little custom fab work. Looks pretty cool to me, this thread is getting off topic.
barnsbury thanked this.
#664 Delivered 6/25/13

BrentM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Forum for 35 Pickup?

Any plans to set up separate forum here for the '35 pickup? I know there are a lot of posters here that do not frequent the other forum.
Anxiously awaiting delivery of truck no. 11.

Thanks, Ralph
Complete MK 3.1 #6890, ordered 1-20-09, delivered 3-5-09, Licensed 10-15-2011, 3 link w/Levy LRCA, 17" FF wheels, 3.73, T-5, T&L 347", carbed, Lexus Indigo pearl with Wimbledon stripe.

Last edited by rponfick; 04-14-2018 at 04:14 PM..
rponfick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Cool Can't wait

want to see more construction photos as kits start get delivered
barnsbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
FFCars Major

Nope, no room for a roll cage in there....

[img]https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...4/FFR_3598.jpg[/img]

Old 04-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not a waxer

Quote:

Nope, no room for a roll cage in there....

[img]https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...4/FFR_3598.jpg[/img]
Mike,
In case you haven't noticed our resident expert on all things that he has no firsthand knowledge of has been banned. I sure miss him

Jeff
Mike D thanked this.

Mk4 Bodywork thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKleiner View Post
Mike,
In case you haven't noticed our resident expert on all things that he has no firsthand knowledge of has been banned. I sure miss him

Jeff
Well shoot, I can un-ban him if you want!

No, wait I take that back. I'm liking the lack of stress and PM's!

Mike D and roadracer thanked this.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS

Delivered 4/23/06.

. Plates! 1/2010 BatCave! 1/2012.
Featured Roadster, 2012 and 2013 Huntington Beach Cruise-In
David Hodgkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
Well shoot, I can un-ban him if you want!
Please don't. Don't miss those posts a bit.
Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
edwardb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Not a waxer

When you un-ban him why don't you go ahead and un-ban EFN-Alex too

Jeff

Mk4 Bodywork thread