SVTFreak's # 1002 build thread. - Page 4 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
'33 Hot Rod Forum sponsored by classic E/T Wheels ∑ Call (510) 895-8880
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery
Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing '33 Hot Rod > Factory Five '33 Hot Rod Forum Sponsored by E/T Wheels
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Thanks Tree8Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #91 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Picked up the motor/trans and controls today from freight yard. (No room on my street to turn a truck around and no way to unload it anyway). The trans isnít in the pic, itís in the back of the truck. Gonna be a fun fit to get this coyote and the 6R80 in this thing. Better get my shoehorn and welder ready lol.

SVTFreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #92 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Yíall know I picked up the motor and trans pack about 2 weeks ago. Then my wife got the flu. Then I got a sinus infection. Had to work some overtime. Then the flu got me. Then I got another sinus infection lol. So today I finally managed to get it unloaded. The 6R80 is huge but not as much bigger than the 4R70 as I thought it would be. The bell housing size is about same but the body is wider. Thatíll make fitment easier than I was expecting. Iím hopeful now. But I have a sawzall, cut off wheel and a welder!

Hopefully I wonít have to work overtime this week and can get the top on it and then take the front off and start getting it in. I want the top and the front back on by March 24th for my church yearly car show. Iíll bring both it and the mk4.

Pic just for documentation.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #93 (permalink)

SVTFreak,

I am in the pre-order planning stage and trying to gather as much information as possible. I am very interested in how your build progresses with the 6R80 as I was considering the same engine/trans combination.

Keep up the good work. I've already learned so much from your (and all other) threads. Thanks.
52Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #94 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Got the hard top mounted up today. I think I am going to add two more studs across the front. I also think Iím going to cut out and fill the rivnuts behind with some glass and epoxy to make it more sturdy. Iíll do that later on.

Pulled it outside for some pics and a quick clean up. Tired of messing with body. Iíve only had 24 hours of work since mid September. Hopefully life will slow down and let me get more time soon. Iím in no hurry but itíll take forever this way.

Some progress pics just since I couldnít help myself. Still have to set all body gaps and finish fitting but waiting until all weight on the car to do that. After I get the motor and trans in, and maybe running, Iíll get back and finish fitting all the parts to final place.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #95 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

SVTFreak - Hope you are able to find the 'spare' time required to work on your car.

As I am sure seeing the shell outside and the shiny new engine inside will keep you motivated.

Good luck, Paul.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #96 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks, Paul!

Got the top fixed down final today. I had added a couple more studs to the front to bring total to 5. And I (with my baby girls help) got the trans bolted up to the motor. Iíve never fooled with a coyote out of the car or a 6r80 so I wasnít sure where or how to reach the studs to bolt the converter up. After getting one through the starter hole, and knowing the others wouldnít work there (too tight once pulled up), my 6 year old girl figured out how to reach them through the hole on the other side of motor. Lol. Proud daddy moment there.

Pics for funs sake

My two helpers getting in the areas easier than I can!

Old 03-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #97 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

The motor and trans is in!!! And the 6R80 fits!

Right now, itís resting on the trans Pan flange on FFR trans mounts and has 2* of angle. I will have to cut the mounts off the frame and build my own but that looks like it wonít be hard to accomplish at all. Easier than I was expecting. Also made up the steering correctly, installed headers and starter while playing around. When I do build the trans crossmember and mount, Iíll post good pics of that part for future reference should anyone else decide to attempt.

Oh. Coyote lift points ainít gonna work. I got it in using my homemade plates but I wonít be able to get the bolts out. Do you guys use lift brackets that bolt to the exhaust manifold bolts? And what yíall doing for header bolts anyway?

Old 03-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTFreak View Post
I am SO glad to hear that! I'd been talking about using a 6R80 / Coyote for several years, but "everyone" told me that it wouldn't fit or would require major chassis modifications. Wonderful to see the odds shifting in my direction for a change.

Please forgive the dumb question, but why didn't you install the headers before dropping in the engine? Is there an interference or something I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Keith
progmgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2018, 01:07 AM   #99 (permalink)

I agree that this is good news. Makes my build plans just that little bit easier.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #100 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmgr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTFreak View Post
I am SO glad to hear that! I'd been talking about using a 6R80 / Coyote for several years, but "everyone" told me that it wouldn't fit or would require major chassis modifications. Wonderful to see the odds shifting in my direction for a change.

Please forgive the dumb question, but why didn't you install the headers before dropping in the engine? Is there an interference or something I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Keith
Not a dumb question.

Mainly because my help showed up and I didnít even think about it. We latched on and threw it in. Ok so it wasnít quite that easy lol.

To get the headers in after, I had to remove a couple of the front and lower studs on the motor. The header then easily slid in going in through the side and down, then up into place. Had to take steering apart on drivers side though. The I put the studs that I removed back in. I am thinking about swapping those to bolts but I do prefer studs so my mind is not made up yet.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #101 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Found out today that the computer that comes with the Ford performance crate motor/trans package is not the same case as the ones used if pulled from a donor. So, I had to make a mount. I used the FFR mount that usually goes on the oil pan studs, and ran it across the frame 1” x brace tubes. Tapped the tubes to mount it. The. Drilled and tapped for the computer. I had to shift it pretty good to passenger side to clear the steering motor and help keep the harness from getting into the main pulley. Worked out great. Also mounted the compressor and started working on a trans mount (but will not post photos of that until I get it finished and ensure it works, probably a couple weeks.

Won’t be much for updates. My next days off i have to prep both cars for a car show, then once home, I’m taking the body off and have to pull the motor and trans to fix a couple items. While it’s out and i have room, I will cut the FFR trans mounts off the frame then finish the 6R80 mount once I get it all back together. Then I’ll start working on wiring and towards getting it to life. It’ll be easier with body off and I have some things I wanna do to the body while it’s off.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #102 (permalink)

That's the last place I would have though to put it. Aren't you worried about moisture and heat?
78 LTD (sold)
90 Aerostar (son wrecked)
01 Cobra Mustang
05 SporTrac Adrenalin (sold)
16 F150 Lariat FX4
Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #103 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Merc View Post
That's the last place I would have though to put it. Aren't you worried about moisture and heat?
That’s actually where FFR mounts it also. In mustangs, it is also under the hood right next to the passenger side head. So here there is more airflow than in stock mustang. The plugs should all be well sealed as designed. And, the car will see only minimal use when it may rain. So, in short, not really. While i won’t go driving through foot deep standing water, it should be ok for a little incidental wetting.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #104 (permalink)

My son's Fox body and my SN95 are both behind the passenger side kick panel. I did not know that any Mustang had the ECU under the hood.
78 LTD (sold)
01 Cobra Mustang
16 F150 Lariat FX4
Old 03-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #105 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Merc View Post
My son's Fox body and my SN95 are both behind the passenger side kick panel. I did not know that any Mustang had the ECU under the hood.
That started in 2011 with the coyote.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #106 (permalink)

Yes. After I posted I researched and found that after 2010 it moved under the hood. Never too late to learn, which I seem to do daily. I still think I will plan on putting the ECU under the dash or maybe even in the trunk.

I'm also planning to use the electric brake booster and thinking I will mount that on the firewall in the engine compartment along with the remote reservoirs. All this could necessitate building my own wiring harness which I am also considering.

Since I'm retired I have a lot more time than money. One of the reasons for considering a build is to fill time and have some fun. I spent my entire career designing and building complex oilfield servicing equipment and love the planning process and trying to consider all possible problems before the build. Another reason is to enjoy the drive after the build, but the build is the main reason.

Keep the posts coming and I'll keep learning.
78 LTD (sold)
01 Cobra Mustang
16 F150 Lariat FX4
Old 03-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #107 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

I, too, like the planning and building. People ask when I’ll finish and I honestly can’t say. That just means I’ll be done. Enjoying it when done is fun too but I always looking at what’s next.

As far as the placement, if using a coyote, the harness puts the ecu plugs at the front of the motor. You can move it within reason but to the back isn’t much of an option. The black box mounts under the dash and isn’t sealed. It is where +12 from battery supplies to and the key connects to and all.

Building your own harness is an option, but finding all the proprietary plugs may be a nightmare. Unless you purchase the controls pack, depin everything and start over. But, you save no money, add tons of time and if you don’t get it back exactly perfect, it won’t work, or, st worst, could crater your motor.

I did consider mounting it up higher, more along the lines of where stock mustangs have them. But elected not to as I will probably be running side paneless. Which means I’m trying to keep the under hood as clean and clutter free as possible.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #108 (permalink)

We placed it under the engine as in the manual and we will be fabricating a shield to protect it from debris and other items. When we have it setup I will post a photo.
andreast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #109 (permalink)

I downloaded the installation instructions for the control package and admit that the instructions say to mount it under the hood. I will really need to look at this as I don't want to place it down low. I'm not too worried about engine room clutter as I will be using side panels with some sort of venting which I will work on at a later date. From most of the pictures I've seen the Coyote sits close to the firewall and leaves limited space for mounting equipment. Maybe I need to combine an ECU mount into the hood stiffener that is so often added to keep the hood straight.

When I mentioned building my own wiring harness I wasn't thinking about the control package harness. It is my understanding that the ECU that comes in the control pack kit is needed to avoid PATS issues and allow the use of a return type fuel system. I was thinking that the wires could be extended using "jumpers" made with Weather-Pack or Metri-Pack connectors.

I will need to really think on this for awhile.
78 LTD (sold)
01 Cobra Mustang
16 F150 Lariat FX4
Old 03-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #110 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Your idea of mounting like that in the front should work. The harness ends are long enough to reach from the motor top to the bottom so figure coming off the front passenger head, you’ve got about 1.5-2ft of harness to reach wherever you want without having to modify.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #111 (permalink)

Cool. That solves that problem. Only about 9,999 to go.
78 LTD (sold)
01 Cobra Mustang
16 F150 Lariat FX4
Old 03-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #112 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Prototype 6R80 trans mount. When I pull the motor out (hopefully next week), I will cut off the FFR trans mounts from the frame. Then I’ll set motor back in, get the angle right and trim the long edge of the crossmember, leaving some as a gusset.

After I see how it goes in again, I may weld the crossbmember in then cut out the center and leave tabs on the frame. Then make another plate that is a removable crossmember. I don’t think it’ll be necessary though, since the mount is on the back of the trans case instead of bottom. The flange will have to be up and above the crossmember when going in before it reaches it anyway. Once I’m sure of that, I’ll decide weather to make the crossmember removable or not. Worst case, I cut it out later, remake it to mount from the bottom and use spacers to her back up to right angle.

This is the back

Front. The two empty holes is where it bolts to the trans. The line is just a reference. I’ll trim off even with bottom of frame tubing once I know exactly wheee it has to go to get angle correct.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:11 PM   #113 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Brought it to a car show today. She won best under construction. Was kinda unfair as I think it was the only true under construction lol. The mk4 won best 1950-1980, which I was flattered by. There was some nice cars including a very trick, very custom 68 Camaro that won best in show.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #114 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Blew it apart partially today. Body off, motor and trans out. Have to put starter index plate in, correct trans bolts and put a couple quarts of fluid in the converter. Cut the factory trans mounts off the frame and then reinstall the motor tomorrow probably. Then I’ll start wiring and mechanical stuff towards running it. The body won’t go back on for awhile.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #115 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Got up today and got the starter index plate in, filled the converter, bolted all that back up. Then started in the trans mount. Cut the FFR brackets off the frame using sawzall and cut off wheels. Ground it smooth. Back in with the motor and trans. Then installed the new trans mount I made. Everything lined up perfectly down the center. Welded in the mount best I could. I’m going to have to clean up some welds once trans is out of the way for paint. Got me a perfect 3* angle on the motor checking at a couple diff places. I may add a gusset on the mount towards the back where it doesn’t touch the frame anywhere to add a little strength to it.

Turning big metal into shavings.

Motor back in, supporting and setting angle. Bolted bracket on trans then adding mount and crossmember to that

Everything in place, angles and alignment triple checked and started welding. Can’t really see some welds. Don’t criticize to bad. I’m not a great welder in tight spots. This will fix when trans out again. You can see my centerline marks in frame bottom in last pic.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #116 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Worked on the ac and heater lines inside the car today, since I had some underage help. Had to do something that isn’t much thought lol.

Decided to do it next to the riser like FFR. About the best option to keep the hoses easily hideable inside.

Completed hoses. Gonna clean up the trimmed parts of ac inlet box when totally apart for finishing

Had the cutest little helper today. She likes using the drill

The kids seem to lose interest when there’s is work and not much visible progress. They like to see big parts come together. So when she gave up and went to blow bubbles and chase lizards, I started on the second part of the harness for the coyote. The motor harness came installed. After a couple false starts, I ran it down the right side of the oil pan to the ecu. The black box is under the ac unit. The harness to the CEL, gas pedal, etc will go across to that area. And I have to decide how to get the harness into the dash area, weather through the firewall or trans tunnel will work best. That’ll be next weeks work.

I’ve got some learning to do. I thought the ecu had an input from the shifter (comes with kit). But it doesn’t. The shifter has a plug that has inputs to control when you can put it in gear, and lights, but the ecu doesn’t need anything from it. It must get its gear info from the big plug on the trans. That means that I don’t really have to use the ford shifter. I was playing with ideas how to make it fit and match, being its sort of big and bulky, but now I don’t think that is necessary. I’d much rather use a lokar floor mount or something if the sort if I can make it work. I may need to call the tech line and ask a few questions to see what my options are.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:01 AM   #117 (permalink)

Great to see your kids helping, they will be boasting later that they build it!!
j33ptj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #118 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33ptj View Post
Great to see your kids helping, they will be boasting later that they build it!!
That’s perfectly ok with me lol. I’m glad they are coming out also. Admittedly the baby girl is doing more than the boys. She’s got more mechanical ability than them lol. But they have to get her iPad working (and mine for that matter lol!). I think the baby (turned 1 yesterday) is going to be the car builder though. Even at 1, he is looking at how things move and work when he destroys them.....

Actually, he has a new set of wheels y’all might like too!

Old 04-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #119 (permalink)

That's awesome!! I can definitely see a kit in his future.

33 Hot Rod Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
LS3 376/480, 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter,
Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires
HVACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #120 (permalink)

I "hate" to say this, but he looks like he'll be a great mechanical engineer. I'm speaking from personal experience.

My daughter used to come out and help me in the garage when she was young. Unfortunately she became an environmental geologist. Oh well!
78 LTD (sold)
01 Cobra Mustang
16 F150 Lariat FX4