Made a rear bumper for the 33 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
'33 Hot Rod Forum sponsored by classic E/T Wheels · Call (510) 895-8880
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery
Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing '33 Hot Rod > Factory Five '33 Hot Rod Forum Sponsored by E/T Wheels
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Buck70
  • 1 Post By foristell
  • 1 Post By Buck70

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Made a rear bumper for the 33

I cleaned up the look on the back of my 33 by making a bumper for it.

I hate the way the FF fenders hang down and my hitch didn't help the
wonky look either, so I made a steel tube bumper that follows the body
shape and creates a clean line across the bottom. No paint yet because the end details still are undecided. Quick jacks would work there but I have something else in mind.
Dale
FFCars.com Photo Gallery - 33 rear bumper
Buck70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
FFCobra Master Craftsman
FFCars Captain

Nicely done Dale.
Tim Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

That is such a nice result from a great idea. It looks just right. Congratulations Dale.
Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 04:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Trailer hitch? What's the towing capacity? I'm new here and had no idea.
MrDenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

That really finishes it up nicely
glenn somers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Yrmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDenton View Post
Trailer hitch? What's the towing capacity? I'm new here and had no idea.
I haven't done the research yet but IIRC it's some kind of percentage based on the tow vehicles weight. Braking issues create the limit for safe stopping.

I will likely use a very small/light trailer or maybe even a cargo platform for a shorter trip. Tools, drag slicks, spare tire, cooler, the kind of stuff you would take on power tour definitely won't fit in the 33's trunk. A license plate will hide the receiver the rest of the time.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, it means a lot coming from people of your talents
Dale
Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Vman inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
That is such a nice result from a great idea. It looks just right. Congratulations Dale.
Barrel
V-man helped me refine what was wrong with the rear visual and then I took the path that I could achieve with my limited skills. He suggested a much more elegant fix but I have no skills in fiberglass work, maybe someone else will do his cool body extension.
Dale
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's such a great idea. Looks great and it's functional. I was thinking a little teardrop trailer to match would be awesome!
My current project would be cool too. 18' flatbottom with a soon to be finished 620hp BBC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (238.3 KB, 101 views)
MrDenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
whodunit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDenton View Post
That's such a great idea. Looks great and it's functional. I was thinking a little teardrop trailer to match would be awesome!
My current project would be cool too. .
Your current project is very cool, but with a BBC and that trailer it would weigh
too much to tow with my 33.. I could def pull it, but stopping it would get ugly pretty quick.

Someone already has a picture of a cool trailer behind their 33
Was it Dr. Ruth ???????

Dale
Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nice fab. work ! Great lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gary Fox
Del. Date: Dec 23th 2011
First Start : April 2012
Go Kart: May 2012
Street Legal : July 2013
Fox2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2 View Post
Nice fab. work ! Great lines.
Thanks Gary
Now throw some snow tires on that and come on over.

Dale
Old 02-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lurker/hopeful
FFCars Craftsman

Yeah, Dr. Ruth. If I remember right, Dan Ruth sells 2 different sizes of trailers.
jayguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Dale,
Lines look great. Very natural!!! --I
In33anity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 02:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Dale , I would tell you when Hell freezes over but I think it did last night. Can you get out of the hills in Shawnee ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gary Fox
Del. Date: Dec 23th 2011
First Start : April 2012
Go Kart: May 2012
Street Legal : July 2013
Fox2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
winter beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2 View Post
Dale , I would tell you when Hell freezes over but I think it did last night. Can you get out of the hills in Shawnee ?
Gary
My winter beater, the CTS4 does really well in the snow. The lax plow job by the city and the steep hills here have not been an obstacle. Our little slice of heaven is 5* this morning.
Dale
Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Buck's Bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck70 View Post
I cleaned up the look on the back of my 33 by making a bumper for it.

I hate the way the FF fenders hang down and my hitch didn't help the
wonky look either, so I made a steel tube bumper that follows the body
shape and creates a clean line across the bottom. No paint yet because the end details still are undecided. Quick jacks would work there but I have something else in mind.
Dale
FFCars.com Photo Gallery - 33 rear bumper
Dale. I liked this when I first saw it a couple of years ago and would be very grateful if you could post an update of this great idea. It certainly improves the rear view of the hot rod.
Cheers,
Neil.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Thanks

Quote:
Dale. I liked this when I first saw it a couple of years ago and would be very grateful if you could post an update of this great idea. It certainly improves the rear view of the hot rod.
Cheers, Neil.
Neil
Thanks for the kind words, I will try to get some current pictures up soon.
Funny thing about that bumper is that yes it looked good as it was but I have now decided to move the fenders up and forward so the visual across the back will need to be re-designed when that is done. No images of that for awhile.

Over the last year there have been a lot of family issues including the passing of my father and spending a lot of time helping mom through that process.

My build has always been somewhat of a nod to Dad and the result of growing up in a racing family. The rollcage is a direct result of seeing him upside down more than once including a brutal end over end that made 3 full rotations before coming to rest right side up with both doors sprung wide open. The Hemi in mine is also a result of that upbringing from watching local and national legends run 426 Hemis on the fairgrounds tracks in the midwest

I have managed to install the license tag bracket making it a hidden hitch and
am just finishing up the driveshaft hoop today. I did complete the Mazda trunk hinge install including lift supports and a curved frame to re-shape the deck-lid to match the curve of the body. I also made a better looking wedge to mount the PS to the firewall and have drilled and tapped for all the button-heads that will fasten the firewall to the body.
I just recently finished installing 13" disc all around on the 33. Mine may be the only 33 at this point with a full set of BIG brakes. I also sourced a full set of pads with good cold bite from EBC so it will stop well without needing any heat in the pads first. The balance bar adjuster was a really easy add too.

The big brake project was the culmination of parts and advice on the rear combo from Richard Oben, suggestions by Jim Schenck and a parts list by John George for the front combo. For me the 2 forums make up a great resource that fills in all the holes in the build manuals and make a much better end result possible.
Dale Berry

Last edited by Buck70; 02-29-2016 at 01:10 PM..
Old 03-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Hey barrel

I just updated the gallery with the pictures Neil asked for on the rear bumper, hidden hitch, license tag bracket. It's made from a spring loaded door hinge that I had laying around from my career as a Carpenter/Superintendent.

Dale Berry
7L Hemi33
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmprrs1.jpg (178.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg tagrs3.jpg (197.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg tagrs1.jpg (198.5 KB, 161 views)
TWannop thanked this.

Last edited by Buck70; 03-08-2016 at 11:33 PM..
Old 03-10-2016, 04:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I just updated the gallery with the pictures Neil asked for on the rear bumper, hidden hitch, license tag bracket. It's made from a spring loaded door hinge that I had laying around from my career as a Carpenter/Superintendent.

Dale Berry
7L Hemi33
Thanks Dale for these pics. I know how you feel about the design of the Hot Rod's rear end and these photos begin to show some of the changes you have been making. It's this type of dedication to a better build that we and FFR should thank you for.
Cheers,
Neil.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

That bumper fits well with the body style. Are you going to do any type of bumper on the front?

I have had an issue with the passenger side rear fender. It looks to be a bit twisted once we bolted it in place and had to do a bit of surgery on it to get it evened out. Did you notice that on yours?
cjmccall thanked this.
foristell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foristell View Post

I have had an issue with the passenger side rear fender. It looks to be a bit twisted once we bolted it in place and had to do a bit of surgery on it to get it evened out. Did you notice that on yours?
Those fenders are worthy of a whole new thread. If the "twist" is at the front corner then we have the same problem. I am so envious of those guys who can get their hot rods road registered without fenders. Mine are rubbish and are undergoing more than a bit of surgery.

Cheers,
Neil HR#353.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
No front on mine

Quote:
That bumper fits well with the body style. Are you going to do any type of bumper on the front?
Thanks for the reply. No front bumper on mine, the back just needed it for the fuel tank safety and to clean up the body lines. I will do some surgery on the rear fenders but that's more about tire size I'm running than anything else.
Dale
Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Mkii 33

Quote:
Thanks Dale for these pics. I know how you feel about the design of the Hot Rod's rear end and these photos begin to show some of the changes you have been making. It's this type of dedication to a better build that we and FFR should thank you for. Cheers,
Neil.
Neil
I appreciate the kind words, but I just see it as giving back some of the help I have received from all the other builders on the forums that are doing really cool projects and sharing their methods and dreams with us.

FFR could step up with a MKII of the 33 including a survey of owners concerns first, that would help define a long overdue group of improvements.

There have been a few front bumpers already but nothing that really caught my eye so WOW us with something unique on yours and post it up.
Dale
Old 03-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

I'm going to have a stainless nerf bar type of front bumper made by McMillian Rod & Custom. Maybe it's just me but the way the nose of the 33 is designed it would be real easy to damage the grill on a curb. Attached are a few pics of how we are modifying the back fenders. When done they will be about an inch below the body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160220_105512_resized.jpg (94.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 20160220_111020_resized.jpg (123.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 03-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
nicely done

Quote:
I'm going to have a stainless nerf bar type of front bumper made by McMillian Rod & Custom. Maybe it's just me but the way the nose of the 33 is designed it would be real easy to damage the grill on a curb. Attached are a few pics of how we are modifying the back fenders. When done they will be about an inch below the body.
That fender bob should look a lot better than the way FF leaves it, it just looks wrong with that big offset. The 33 they had at SEMA<> Tony Z's car had road rash on the bottom of the grille so yeah it is at risk without a bumper or a new ride height. Be sure to post pictures of your new bumper, put them here if you want, I don't mind what some think of as thread jacking when it's the same theme.
Like the shirt too, I been meaning to see that track just haven't made it down yet.
Dale
Old 03-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

I thought the original rear fender length almost looked like mud flaps. When I get a little further along I'll start a thread.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #28 (permalink)

Over here one of the requirements you must meet to get your Hot Rod road registered is that the fenders must be set with their rear edge lower than the wheel centre. For me Dale's bumper, or something along those lines looks neat, but I now have rear exit tail pipes and cannot have pipes exiting before the rear wheels. I ran dumpers during the build. They sounded great but make a real mess of gravel car parks!
Old 03-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #29 (permalink)

Bumper

Quote:

Dale Berry
7L Hemi33
How did you bend the square tube to match the curve of the back of the body. NY requires bumpers and I like the way yours looks.
Thanks
Craig
NYCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
notches

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCraig View Post
How did you bend the square tube to match the curve of the back of the body. NY requires bumpers and I like the way yours looks.Thanks Craig
Craig
The body shape you are following is a descending curve so it can't easily be rolled in a bender and it would likely ripple if you tried anyway. SO
I traced a pattern from the body on corrugated cardboard to use as a guide for mine. In some places I cut every 1" from the back edge of the tube to the front leaving only the front face intact. Closer to the middle where the arc is much gentler I spaced the cuts about 3" apart but if I did it again it would be
1" spaces all the way across for a smoother shape, mine is a bit lumpy if you look close enough. With only one face left it shapes fairly easy but do keep it on a flat table and don't let it twist as you create the shape. The rest is just weld and grind work. Be prepared for the heat draw to change/increase the shape of the curve as it cools so be slightly too obtuse with the first shape just in case. That way you can add a few more cuts between the first round cuts and tighten it just a bit more as needed. I spot welded each cut in the middle of the back face all the way across then kept moving/welding short spots here and there to keep the heat zones small for less shrinkage as it cools. Then it's a lot of grinder work to make it look like one smooth piece before it's painted.

Mine has no filler/putty in it but that could be used to fair the curves a bit too if you wanted it really sleek looking.
HTH
Dale
NYCraig thanked this.