Geoff's Build page - 33 Gasser - Page 17 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
'33 Hot Rod Forum sponsored by classic E/T Wheels Call (510) 895-8880
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery
Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing '33 Hot Rod > Factory Five '33 Hot Rod Forum Sponsored by E/T Wheels
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Thanks Tree3Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #481 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Hi Guys. I just changed job duties and I'm closing out my BSA work. As a result, I spent a few hours digging out the hot rod over the last few days and should be able to continue my project. Time will tell. Updates to follow.

I've been pretty swamped at work until recently. I will try to catch up with the sticky threads and the Google Map in the next few days.

Sequestration is freeing up some of my time.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build
1937 Chevy Coupe Vintage Modified (390FE Powered SOLD)
2002 Mustang GT (TT'd 630rwhp Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<*(((><
geoffav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #482 (permalink)
33 Moderator

It's slow going getting all my parts and plans in order. I had to give up on a local restorer for my 33 tag. One guy does poor work and the other gentleman passed away. The guy who passed did awesome work and unfortunately his shop will close. I just sent off a request for estimate from a well known restorer. I'll know something on Monday.

https://www.facebook.com/restore.tag

Tag restoration, antique license plates, license plate restoration, plate renovation - RestoreATag
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #483 (permalink)
33 Moderator

I've been shopping around for a more local tag restorer. The price quoted for the restoration was too high, I can buy a nice one for less. They want $225 plus $20 for return shipping. I can buy them all day in great condition for $100-125. I'll hang onto the one I have and perhaps just buy a good one at a swap meet.

I'm not saying they want too much but I don't need museum quality work.

I did the final install of the Boyd tank and rear brake lines this evening. I just need to stay in the garage working.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #484 (permalink)

Plates tags license plates

Here is a tip on vintage tags. Make sure that the restorer has a plate that is clear per DMV before you purchase.....

'29 Ford 1/4 ton PU
'51 Olds 88 4 dr Sdn
'58 Ford Custom 300 2 Dr Sdn
'63 Chevy Bel Aire 2 Dr Sdn
'66 Olds 442
'71 Chevy Malibu 2 Dr Hd top
'97 Dodge 3/4 Ton PU V10
'32 Ford Hi Boy Deuce
'84 Chevy El Camino
'33 FFR Hot Rod #668 Build in progress
beretta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #485 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta View Post
Here is a tip on vintage tags. Make sure that the restorer has a plate that is clear per DMV before you purchase.....
Yep, I have a way to check the tag validity using my tablet. The restorer I checked with has old tags and can create a special tag from the cut out and reassembled characters. That would make the $245 a good value.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #486 (permalink)
33 Moderator

I've had some stuff just waiting to be closed out on the car like the brakes. I had the hard lines for the back all done but capped and stored. Today I was going to do the final assembly and noticed the adapters from the hard lines to the hoses (which have been on the car for 2 years minimum) looked funny. They're AN to AN adapters, not the 3/16th to -3 adapters I order. At first I thought I ordered the wrong thing but I keep all the paperwork and packaging, they came in the right packages but it was the wrong parts. This was a 3+ year old order that I mentioned to the vendor as I ordered some additional items today. They looked at a picture of the packing list and the packaging. They are sending the correct parts with my order. We're only talking $11 but I like that they did the right thing.

I might have a firm brake pedal before Monday. It's nice to be making progress again.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #487 (permalink)

Who was the vendor? They deserve an "attaboy".

I had a similar experience with Classic Tube. They sent the wrong part and immediately responded by sending the right one. No questions, no fuss. They didn't even want the wrong one back but I sent it to them anyway. Fair is fair.

If you need brake stuff, try Classic Tube.

Racerboy1a
#99 347, TKO, 3-link, coupe

Last edited by racerboy1a; 08-06-2013 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: more info
racerboy1a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #488 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy1a View Post
Who was the vendor? They deserve an "attaboy".

I had a similar experience with Classic Tube. They sent the wrong part and immediately responded by sending the right one. No questions, no fuss. They didn't even want the wrong one back but I sent it to them anyway. Fair is fair.

If you need brake stuff, try Classic Tube.

Racerboy1a
#99 347, TKO, 3-link, coupe
SPEEDWAY was the vendor. I've had excellent service from them.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #489 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Closed out the brake plumbing issue. Finally mounted the fuel tank and should have the fuel plumbing done in the next few days. Finalizing the oil system plumbing and remote oil filter location. I'm short one fitting for my air/oil separator. It's been a great few days.

The coolant lines and hoses just didn't make it for me. I ran them all using the Mach1 bypass thermostat and it looked like heII. I ditched all of that stuff and went a different way. When the parts get here and I have it together, I'll post up some info. The wild s-turn in the top hose was not something I could live with and my new system will not require the usual burping common for filling the Mach1s.

I've decided to try a different pair of front wheels to eliminate the spacers. It will kill the gasser look but will give me the same wheel design as I used for the rears. I'm not that happy with the electrical harness at this point and the car is so simple, it might be better to layout a custom harness. Back to work for an hour or so and then off to bed.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #490 (permalink)

I was not happy with the plastic wire loom so I went with Keep It Clean wiring's Ultra Wrap (UltraWrap || Keep It Clean Wiring). Much nicer looking stuff.
FFR HR #530,
My build blog:

383 SBC Stroker, 430+ HP, 700R4, 3.27 Gears
Boyd tank, Autometer Autolite Gauges, QA1 shocks and springs, Powerstop rotors and pads
maczter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #491 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczter View Post
I was not happy with the plastic wire loom so I went with Keep It Clean wiring's Ultra Wrap (UltraWrap || Keep It Clean Wiring). Much nicer looking stuff.

Same here. I have covers for everything that will be in plain sight that look like the old fabric sleeves. I guess the rest of it won't be that bad if it holds up.

Ordered some parts today .... with any luck it was the last parts I will need to finish this car off.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #492 (permalink)
33 Moderator

I should have all the old parts sold and new coolant lines in place next week. The assy below replaces the top hose, crossover tube, and thermostat bypass housing. I will probably plumb my coolant mod hose into the bottom coolant hose. My -10 hoses will be equal length because the radiator connection is in the center.

Here it is on a slightly modified Mustang.

The Kit is below:

FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><

Last edited by geoffav; 08-12-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #493 (permalink)
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
FFCars Master Craftsman

I bought those fittings from that guy. He was pretty trippy dude. I'm going to try and run the four outlets from the top of the heads to a catch can with an inline thermostat on the outlet of the can, then that will connect to the top of the radiator. I got two ports with sensor outlets and two without It's going to be a plubming nightmare as there's not a lot of real estate to work with, but it will allow coolant flow from both ends of the heads directly back to the radiator.
FFR '33 #78
Picked up 5/30/09

Arrowhead's '33 Hot Rod Build Site:

Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #494 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I bought those fittings from that guy. He was pretty trippy dude. I'm going to try and run the four outlets from the top of the heads to a catch can with an inline thermostat on the outlet of the can, then that will connect to the top of the radiator. I got two ports with sensor outlets and two without It's going to be a plubming nightmare as there's not a lot of real estate to work with, but it will allow coolant flow from both ends of the heads directly back to the radiator.
Mine is a bit easier. I don't have a heater so I connected the passenger side rear to the pump return, that hides it under the intake. Then the top rear of the driver side head goes to a tee in the bottom hose. That just leaves the crossover ports to go through the -10 lines to the thermostat housing. I don't need the tap on the housing and I have a neat temp gauge that will fit there. It came off a VERY old airplane. Most guys are drilling the thermostats if they don't use a cooling mod and dump it to the bottom hose or beyond the thermostat using the tap provided. A stock Mach1 has a wild flow setup but it works well for a "normal" use vehicle.

I only got the single sensor kit because I already had my gauge sensor in the top rear of the passenger head.

There are reports of crappy heater performance when you draw from the rear of the heads like in the picture below. This was with some of the Aussie cars and the Marauder bunch. I can't image it would be an issue for a car with a smaller heater and smaller cockpit.

FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #495 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Yea, fuel and brake lines all done. I'm dropping the rear again to repaint some of the 3 link parts and upgrade some hardware. After that's done, I'll see if the brakes work.

Still waiting for my radiator hose parts to get here.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #496 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Radiator hose parts arrived this morning. Packaged well and looking good. I had to do some minor deburring on the inside of the thermostat housing. Pics below:

FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><

Last edited by geoffav; 08-26-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #497 (permalink)
33 Moderator

You will need hose, hose ends, and fittings to make this work. Also a SBC thermostat and o-ring. I don't have the thermostat and o-ring yet. There are many options for hose, I'm using the push-loc style with Jegs PL hose. The oem temp sensor will screw right into the taller block outlet, it will work on either side. A 3/8npt tap is available for cooling mod return or second temp sensor, mine will be plugged. At present I plan to run my cooling mod hose down to the bottom radiator hose/pipe. If it looks ugly or I run out of room I have the tap on the thermostat to use.

FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #498 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Haha. I greatly misjudged how close this mod is to the alternator. It will work great but I have to switch to a pair of 45* hose ends instead of the straights that I thought would work. I'm going on a business trip soon so I'll be back on break after this coming Tuesday for about a week.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 AM   #499 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Wow, just noticed I'm starting my sixth year of construction. I usually remember to post congrats to Wayne for being another year older, he dropped the car by my house on his birthday in 2009. Almost all of my progress was in year one. I moved the car to storage for nearly two years so nothing happened during that time. Very few parts are needed to complete the car and it's all paid for, I even have a healthy body and paint fund. So the hold up is me which won't change for the next few months.

The plan is to finish it sooner or later. My youngest son is starting to drive now and is so close to becoming an Eagle Scout, we might take a break from those activities to work on a hot rod. One of these days the storms will part and I'll get this thing done.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 02-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #500 (permalink)

Dirt Racer

Geoff,
Here's something to get your motivation revved up:
A Dirt Racer Taking It To The Streets:
Readers Wheels: A Dirt Racer Taking It To The Streets - StreetLegalTV.com

Nevin
H R Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #501 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H R Lucky View Post
Geoff,
Here's something to get your motivation revved up:
A Dirt Racer Taking It To The Streets:
Readers Wheels: A Dirt Racer Taking It To The Streets - StreetLegalTV.com

Nevin
Yep, that's pretty nice. If my dad was younger, I bet we could build a slick late 60s VA/NC style pavement modified.

It's been a busy last few weeks. I've had drama at work, with family, with work again, and it just won't end. One GOOD thing to happen this week, we have our first grandchild. Sadie was born yesterday and is reminding us all what really matters in life. Work and so many other things won't matter much in the end. Family will always matter and must be a priority.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #502 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Things are looking up for finishing off the hot rod soon. We've lost both of my parents in the last 18 months and I'm about to close the last estate in January. That's also when my son returns from active duty and we stop being primary caregivers for his 3 and 4 year old kids. My youngest son turned 20 today and just noticed I have a hot rod in storage????

The only good thing about having a 10 year old project haunting you is I kept putting money in my hot rod acct. I just purchased a new truck out of the acct and still have enough to complete the HR or even contract it out.

I'm looking to upgrade more of the car when we get going in the next few days.

Such as:
power steering
high end brakes
more robust ECU
InfinityBox wiring
custom headers from stainless steel header
custom roll bar
paint and body by Ryan Wiggins

more to come as we get the car back in the garage
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #503 (permalink)

So nice to see you posting again Geoff. As they say "Life gets in the way sometimes".
geoffav thanked this.
Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #504 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
So nice to see you posting again Geoff. As they say "Life gets in the way sometimes".
It's nice to have the time again. The last couple of weeks have been a waiting game with the weather too. I just knew Florence was going to cause major damage to both of the houses I own in NC. So far, the one on the coast is fine and the other one near the SC border just has trees down. Both will be in other hands very soon.

I sold my vintage modified back in May so hopefully the focus will remain on the 33. I would love to drive it from my current shop over to our new home when it's finished. The site is being prepared now and our plans are being refined over the next few weeks. We've been on hold for so long it's nice to see things happening. While dealing with other life events we did manage to pay off the lot for our new home and the house we live in. I thought about getting rid of the 33 a few times but thanks to having a safe and free storage space it was easier to keep it.

Kinda funny but I'm at the inventory/organize phase again. I'll need to sell a few take offs after I get my upgrades in ... I don't want to junk up my new shop when it's done.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 09-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #505 (permalink)
wrp

Garage
Particularly rewarding to see you pick the car up to finish it. My kit was 075 and literally sat for around 6-7 years before I bought it from the original owner. He had suffered a stroke and was unable to finish it. I have kept him in the loop at every step of the process. Looking forward to seeing what you do to the build.
geoffav thanked this.
wrp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2018, 01:00 AM   #506 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffav View Post
Such as:
power steering
high end brakes
more robust ECU
InfinityBox wiring
custom headers from stainless steel header
custom roll bar
paint and body by Ryan Wiggins
After all the effort you put into the MegaSquirt you are going another route?
Have you considered the RF Telorvek? Or are you considering stepping up to Sniper or similar?
TxMike64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2018, 02:42 AM   #507 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
After all the effort you put into the MegaSquirt you are going another route?
Have you considered the RF Telorvek? Or are you considering stepping up to Sniper or similar?
I've finished my MS3 and will use it on another project. I planned on using it for the FE motor in the vintage modified I just sold. Now that it's gone I'll just have to see what comes after the 33. Probably going with the MS3ProU because I'm familiar with the software, as is the guy who will likely tune the stack injection.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 09-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #508 (permalink)

You wouldn't happen to know where any of these sets are...?
4V custom coil covers - Delta Force Tuning Forums

Or would you be able to get the CAD?
TxMike64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2018, 03:27 AM   #509 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
You wouldn't happen to know where any of these sets are...?
4V custom coil covers - Delta Force Tuning Forums

Or would you be able to get the CAD?
I did the design but Justin Fore did the CNC and powder coating. I believe they closed up shop but I'll do some checking. I didn't purchase more than needed for the 3 Mach1s I owned back then. They are very nice.

UPDATE
I think you might be able to track Justin down at the site below.

https://www.foreinnovations.com/

He was super to deal with back then. After some research I refreshed my memory that the break up of his marriage eventually killed the business. Sad thing. I don't think these coil covers were profitable to produce but he did a run for me that I think exceeded 100 sets. Most went to 03/04 Cobra and Mach1s. The VIN (last 6) engraved in the pocket on the left cover was a neat option.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><
Old 10-04-2018, 12:15 AM   #510 (permalink)
33 Moderator

Cars back in the garage but I need to pull the body off and move it to storage tomorrow.

Ordering some parts tomorrow afternoon. Probably some over the weekend too. That will give me a few more takeoffs or never used parts to sell. Progress might be slow for awhile ... it was a good time to reorganize our "crap in storage". Hopefully, most of it can be tossed out or sold.
FFR 33HR #037 slow build

<*(((><