Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Cockpit Progress Pics

10K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  lapp172 
#1 ·
I managed to get in a few hours the last couple of weekends doing things in small chunks. Looking back I managed to get quite a bit done. Here are the pics as proof.

Under dash panel covered and installed for a trial fit. Fits great! I still need to make up some small pieces to cover up the cross tube and wiring on the ends.

The closest knob controls the foot box vent valve for my heater. It’s now hooked up and works very nicely. Amazingly, the cable out of the Cavalier was the perfect length.

Led lights installed. Top two are green for the flashers, the next is blue for high beams, then orange for the alt light and then red for the check engine. All are clear when off.

See less See more
#2 ·

Some updated pics of my parking brake mod with the aluminum handle I made up on the lathe.

Finally time to put on the rest of the trunk and rear cockpit aluminum. First step was to mount the panels (I drilled them some time ago) and mark where all the frame members go. I then masked them off the two main panels and sprayed them with rubberized rock guard wherever they are exposed.

[ October 13, 2007, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: dv/dt ]

#3 ·
I went a different direction with the cockpit aluminum and installed it so that the majority of the seams would be on the outside. The seams would later be coated with the rock guard that hides them pretty well on the outside.

I also used a 1/8” x ¾” spacer between the rear wall and the upper ¾” tube to get rid of the weld bead issue that can cause the rear wall to buckle a bit.

Passenger side uncoated.

Driver side coated.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers, Rod

#5 ·
Rod,

It's looking just great. Your work is top drawer, as always I'm impressed. Wondering what you covered the vanity panel under the dash with? Looks like it was pretty easy to work with? I need something for the inside of the custom glove box and door I've been fabbing.

Keep it up!

Chris.

#7 ·
toddr, Thanks!

Hi Chris,
The dash and the panel were both covered with the same material which is a marine grade leatherette. It feels very much like the real thing and was fairly easy to work with.

SR71,
The garage is heated. I normally keep it at at about 40° and it takes about a half hour to come up to 65° when I want to work (even in sub-zero weather).

Cheers, Rod

#10 ·
Rod...you have the patience of a mole. :D Outstanding job. I wouldn't want to put carpet any place.

#13 ·
Looking good DV/DT,

We took the other approach and fit all the tabs inside the cockpit which will ultimately be covered with carpet.

In hind sight our approach took way too much time re-shaping all the panels and no one will likely ever notice the difference.

Your sheet metal looks perfect! Nice work.

-Bill

#14 ·
You are doing one heckuva fine job my friend...
I really like the finished look of the tray underneath the dash - and of course all the Billet-Trinkets!

Curious - I may have missed it in another post but in the picture below, you have a special piece in the passenger foot-well - Is that for header clearance??

#16 ·
Thanks a million guys!! Glad you like it.

Mumblerone,
Please no references to moles, you'll have Cory Cobra trying to take me out! :D

BB,
All the posts I've see seem to say the panels are designed for the tabs to go on the inside. But I did have very little fitting to get them to come out with with the tabs on the outside compared to what you describe so maybe that isn't the case.

Randy,
Thanks bud!! You got it right about the little piece in the pax foot box. I got a little carried away with my expansion and had to make this up to clear the headers. Here's a couple of pics from the other side.

More pics of the footbox here:

http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/58/t/009390.html

All the best, Rod

#17 ·
Rod,
Where did you get that under dash panel? or is that another creation of yours? Nice work by the way! I have been plugging away at work, Hopefully, I will be able to order my Kit in May (maybe sooner) and delivery by June (or earlier)
Thanks again!
Ben :D
:D
p.s. nice kill switch in the glove box! :D

[ October 14, 2007, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Ben Smith ]

#19 ·
All the work you do makes me think I'm not working hard enough on mine. Your finished car will surely be one of the best this forum has ever seen.

#22 ·
Hi Ben,
How's life?? Hope the purchase plans work out for you! That's not a kill switch, it's for putting the computer into diagnostic mode so the check engine light will flash the codes. Posted about it here: http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/094289/p/1.html#000000

I made up the under dash panel. My dash is moved forward an inch and when I cut the dash I left the drive side extension straight on the bottom (not curved for the Mustang flasher switch). Here are a couple of pics before it was covered.

LKNSnake,
Mine is a 302. I moved the side of the footbox right over to the 4" tube so if that is what you did you probably will need to clearance it.

gumbo al,
I thought about selling those but then what would I do with all the cupless thermos bottles? Sort of like trying to sell muffin bottoms (Seinfeld). :D

Thanks again for all the kind comments!

Cheers, Rod

#24 ·
Wow, you made so many mods to address issues that I've lost count. Incredible. Nice work Rod! Can't wait to see what's next.

JT

#25 ·
Rod,
Life is good! My wife is a God send! She is just as excited about this project as I am! I should be placing my order in the spring, but we will see what happens. I am working long hours and getting paid rather well, no reason why I can't jump in and do this. Any way, what's you plans for paint and body work? you've done most everything you can so far, and the roll bar stop LED's are awesome by the way! How come you don't have a link to those?
Have a good one!
Ben :D
:D

[ October 14, 2007, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Ben Smith ]

#26 ·
What are you using for the rubberized rock guard spray on the panels?

The pic showing the coat on the wheel well alumn looks like something else. Is it?

Nice work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.