Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Parking Brake Mod - Update 2

22K views 63 replies 37 participants last post by  Mike (SABER WHITE) 
#1 ·
Here are some updated pics of my parking brake mod. Additional info is in the original pic post . Almost complete except I still have to fabricate the access hole cover. Even used the leather boot that comes with the kit (modified). Need to put something on the handle to hold the boot tight against the handle. Had to make a new T-cable about 3" longer and shorten both rear cables.

Let me know what you think. I'm extremely happy with the way it's coming out.

[ January 27, 2006, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: dv/dt ]

See less See more
#2 ·

Here's a copy of the bezel drawing. It was made from a piece of 4" x 1/8" 6061-T6. I got a 42" piece for about $12 CDN.

[ January 27, 2006, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: dv/dt ]

#4 ·
Great finishing touches there Rod. As soon as my T5 blows up (soon) I'll be doing that mod to my tunnel and I'll be calling you up for some more details. How did you end up dealing with the spring tension issue?

Take care,
Dan

#5 ·
Nice looking work there, Rod.

Are you sure the e-brake won't interfere with the tranny or your shifter position ?

Love the metal trim ring....you should sell those !

- SB

#10 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys!! :D

Dan, In the first post a couple of people posted links showing some ways to disable the adjuster. I ended up doing it the way Chuck (Cwood) indicated in this post . I just cut the ratchet mechanism arm (yellow line) and let the spring unwind (you can see it unwound un the first couple of pics). May cut the spring out of there next time I take it out.

SB, Did a mock-up with the tranny in the first post (see link above). Clearance isn't a problem with the T-5.

DMW, Thanks! You were part of the inspiration for this.

Sergio and Garnet, yep, I made the bezel. You can see the first stages in a couple of the later pics above. I plotted out the template (added a jpeg version above) from AutoCAD using a hi res plotter and then cut out the border (you can see one template in the pics but the one for manufacturing did not have the center part cut out). Taped the template to the aluminium (line up one side to reduce the number of cuts) and then used a center punch to mark all the hole centers (including the centers for the two end radii). Removed the template and used a compass (you still have your high school set?) to draw the outer radii for both ends and then drew a line to connect the tangents. Cut about 1/16" - 1/32" away from the line with a jig saw. Then used the belt on a bench mounted sanding station (10" wheel and 4" belt) to trim it down to the line. Cut the end radius to within 1/16" with the jig saw and then used the wheel on the sanding station to bring it down fairly close and the belt to smooth it down the rest of the way.

Used a good quality bi-metal hole saw to make the internal radius and then joined them up using the jig saw (1/16"). Used a couple of different sanding disks and drums to smooth out the sides. This last part was the most difficult and, if you look in the fifth pic you can see a small nick on the inside radius at the back/right side of the bezel. I'll be making another.

I then sanded out any scratches with a small orbital sander and gave it a bushed finish using scotch brite.

When installing it on the car you want to match drill it. Drill the front or rear hole and bolt it, then drill for the bolt at the other end and bolt it, then drill the rest of the holes. If you want a really good match on the center slot then you want to match it to the car before cutting out the center on the bezel and use the center holes for the two end radii to mark the tunnel cover.

Sergio, If you send me some info (dimensions, etc.) on what you want I can do up a template for you to fit. May even be willing to make them up for the cost of materials (unless you were looking forward to the challenge). Would be neat to have a part on SuperCobra. PM me or give me a ring (I PM'd my number to you) if you'd like.

Chuck, Thanks! Nice handle, something to consider. May keep this one though as a tribute to my Mustang for it's contribution. It was my first car which I bought new in '87 so it meant more than most donors. Then of course it was just a car and I still have the heart! We'll see.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers, Rod

#11 ·
Rod, that is the best setup I have seen yet. If you are willing to build up a kit for your parking brake design I would be willing to buy one, although I hate to think about taking off the drivers floor pan to cut an access hole in side of the tunnel.

Good job.
- Bob

#13 ·
Very nice idea, and very nice execution.
These types of mods need to be cataloged somewhere with all the pic's and drawings so the rest of us can admire/lust/copy them.

#14 ·
What is the size of the tube used to make the bracket for the base of the e-brake handle?

#15 ·
Tork, thanks! I wish I had the time to produce it as a kit but that would mean not finishing the car. You can see my dilema. I will produce additional drawings when I get a chance.

Cory and Jackel, thanks!

Bill3422, the tube is 1-1/2" x 3/4" steel. I picked up a foot of it and it was enough to do both the mount and the cable bracket.

Cheers, Rod

#16 ·
Here is a drawing for the mount. I'll post them for the enclosure and cable bracket when I get a chance to draw them up.

Cheers, Rod

[ January 27, 2006, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: dv/dt ]

#18 ·
Bob, that is rather strange as the pics are on PhotoBucket and you are the first I have heard with a problem. Do you see pictures posted by others? If you right click on the box with the X and select show picture does it come up?

Cheers, Rod

#25 ·
I like it. Thanks for all the pictures and prints. This is the way I want to go if I ever get that far. At least by being slow I'm not wishing I'd have done it like this. Keep those pics and drawings coming...ay.

#26 ·
These drawings are fantastic! Do you have any for the housing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.