Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Dual Footbox Heater Update

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Commodore 
#1 ·
Spent last weekend working out the details for the driver side footbox heater. While the airflow is reduced a bit by the heater core it is better than I thought it would be and will be more than adequate. Especially since each footbox will have it's own heater core. I still have to work out how I will feed the defrost off of this but it shouldn't be a big problem.

Here's the final location for the main components. The tubing shown was just for trial and will be changed out for some heavier tube.

Here is the outside view of the vent tube fairing.

And a look at the fairing and down tube from the inside of the panel.

Here's the down tube with the control valve open.

And closed.

See less See more
#3 ·
Rod,

What are you doing for heater cores ? How/where did you mount them ? I have some inline blower units and was toying with going this route myself instead of an in-dash vintage air unit...

- Brian

#5 ·
Wow-very nice aluminum work.Will you be able to make the top panel over the pedal assy removeable?Not the whole panel but just that which is accessable w/ the body on.

#6 ·
I have the vintage air system in my car now (when it's cold no passenger has ever said "can you turn the heat down a little") and was thinking that it might be easier (my body is on and I am driving the car) to put Y-connectors in line with my powered foot vent hoses that would allow me to select cool air from the brake grills in front in warm weather and just tap the very warm under hood air as the seasons or conditions get cooler. I would then effectively have two heaters. With an 427FE the engine compartment IS a heater core.
RB

#7 ·
CraigS,
Thanks! The panel the heater core box sits on will be fully covered by the body when it is installed. I still have to figure out what I'm going to do for the inboard top panel but it will have an access port of some sort.

RB,
Not sure if the fumes would annoy you in open top driving but, if you plan a top like I do, I don't think it would be a good idea to pull in air from the engine bay. Also a concern in the event of an engine fire. Perhaps an exhaust manifold heater like some aircraft have.

Cheers, Rod

#8 ·
Rod,
If you have a properly funtioning PCV system, no fuel weeping issues and no exhaust leaks, fumes should stay out of our less than air tight Cobra interiors. It would seem that an engine fire would destroy the vent hoses way before your interior would see any flames. My car is topless and while I thought of the potential saftey issues you noted I think I might try the setup as it would be easy to do and undo. If it doesn't work, this is my last post.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.