Factory Five Racing Forum banner

GTM Build Post

115K views 391 replies 127 participants last post by  Russ Thompson 
#1 ·
I will be using this thread to post about my GTM build. It will probably be some time before I get the kit and post about the actual build, but will start the thread with my donor purchase.

I drove 720 miles round trip yesterday to pick up my donor car. Its a 2000 C5 with 24K miles with pretty light damage front and rear. Looks like it pin-balled between K-walls or something. The rt frt upper control arm is a bit tweeked The guy I purchased the car from is going to get me another one.

If I had more time and $$, Id consider fixing the car. Its really nice!

I also picked up a G50-20 6 speed transaxle two weekends ago. Outside of tearing the car down, Im ready

More to come

David

See less See more
#6 ·
Originally posted by David Borden:
I'll tell you someone can expect to pay around 10K for such a donor. I got mine on ebay.

David
I would think you can recover a lot of the cost once you sell off the unused parts. The seats along are worth $600-800. I know because I just purchased identical seats to install in my C3 vette. I lucked out and got an exceptional price.

Now that I think about it, I could really hotrod my C3 with the leftover parts from the C5 while building the GTM...now that would be cool

#10 ·
David,

As an FYI... another source for selling your leftover C5 parts besides ebay is corvetteforum.com. 85,000+ forum member and it's broken down by generation. You can sell your parts in the C5 parts for sale section. These are good people to deal with, like this forum, and probably much more reliable than your typical ebay buyer.

#14 ·
Hey Brian,

Id love to do SEMA this year, but dont think I have the vacation time left to go :( Very small chance I can make it work... Have fun, we'll miss seeing you there!

Car will be primarily for street with a few track events mixed in here and there

Charles, yeah, I hope to get a few bucks from those parts

David

#15 ·
WOW, that's a great score David!!! 10k is not bad at all. I would of figured you paid more than that. Does the car start and drive?

Yep, that car is almost worth fixing.

I have my ears and eyes open, and will be following your build. Keep updating this post.

I have plans on doing a GTM in 3-5 years, so I'm ready to start digesting all the info I can get.

#17 ·
We start to roll the running gear from under the body.

It was necessary to reposition the hoist for clearance. Here Russ lifts the tire/suspension over the hoist.

If you haven’t seen a C5 running gear separated from the body... Here you go.

Butchered C5 floating about 3.5 feet in the air. Cutting up this car was kind of weird... but I got over it :D

Huge thanks to Larry Davi, Russ Thompson, Jeff Fick, and his son Taylor for all your help Saturday! It took about 9 hours to complete the liberation of the running gear...

David

#16 ·
We spend the weekend separating the Vette body from the running gear. Started with the car on the lift disconnecting all the critical parts and lines.

While still on the lift in the lowered position, we used the cherry picker to lift the front of the chassis up and checked to make sure we had everything disconnected. We had a few things to disconnect and clearance.

Once we had everything pulled that we thought we needed to and unbolted the body mounts, we pushed the car off the lift. Once off the lift, we backed it up the front of the lift, and hooked the front to cherry picker again.

Lifting from the back with the 4 post lift and the cherry picker, we start to lift the body off the running gear.

#18 ·
WOW. Great work, guys. Fun to see the pics.

There isn't much to a C5 once you strip the tub off, huh?
That's really pretty cool, even if I have seen it before. Before long you can start selling off parts of that clean donor that you don't need.

Keep up the progress, and keep us posted!

Cheers, John

#20 ·
Pretty Cool David. I've never seen photos of a C5 like that. Neat.

Way different than the C3 that I did a frame off on.

#23 ·
slap a steering wheel/seat and a gas tank/ battery and take the whole thing for a ride sort of like riding on a broom stick with wheels. Too bad that you cant use the stock tranny for these cars. I guess it all ends up being too long. Does the drive shaft rotate at engine speed or is there a reduction before that? weird setup but I guess it distributes the weight better. Looks like the roadster is now a tool bench.

#26 ·
Today is the day I am allowed to let the cat out of the bag! I’ve got a GTM sitting in my garage! As a Beta builder, I had an agreement with FFR not to post about having the car until the first day of SEMA.

It was actually delivered a bit early while I was on vacation. Don DePontee and Friends were kind enough to meet Paul and the Stewart truck up at the house and my father was there to help them out and let them in.

Great shot of the shape of the car as it is hoisted off the truck.

Car being towed up the driveway.

… and being wheeled into the shop.

Thanks guys for the help with the delivery!!

Sweet!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.