Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Hello all - considering taking the dive

912 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  cfehrenb 
#1 ·
Greetings all, I'm new to the whole kit car scene and based here in Madison Wisconsin. I've read that it would be a good idea for me to try to connect with local forum members and builders in the Madison area to get a sense of what it takes to build one of these things. I have rebuilt carburetors on motorcycles, change my own oil, and have general mechanical sense of things but I've never set the timing on an ignition or gotten deep into suspension or braking systems and have little experience with that stuff. I've read about the community college class up in Michigan that seems to be a really good idea as well. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

#2 ·
Build School

Welcome to the madness!

I can't help you in Madison as I'm in upstate NY. I was in your position before my build but from the looks of it, I had a lot less experience. I wasn't sure if I was up to the challenge. I went to build school and can't say enough about the experience. They broke down the build process into manageable segments.

I'd recommend Build School to anyone thinking about taking the dive in a heartbeat. The worst thing that can happen is that you have a nice few days away at 'man camp' as my wife referred to it.

Good Luck,

Paul

#4 ·
Mtnsoul, I've been lurking for a few years and a member of the forum for about a year. There are several builders in the Madison area. You might see a few at the Automotion show in May. I am signed up for the April Roadster Build School. I have met a few IL builders that have convinced me that this is something I can do. I will spend the rest of the spring and summer prepping my donor and order a kit in the Fall or Winter.

#5 ·
Hey Rob,
I had roughly the same amount of experience as you when I started. Definitely, Go for it.

I've learned a lot more about cars, and have really enjoyed the experience.

#7 ·
I did not go. I'm a mechanical engineer, work on my own cars, never built a car but I figured if I can design and build billion dollar nuclear reactors I could build a car - I was right and took me just over a year. I would recommend going if you have little to none mechanical experience.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
Go for it!

Some stuff you'll learn on the fly, other stuff you may need to do some research on, but none of it is impossible. The forum help is immeasurable, for a new builder.

Oh, and there is a manual that comes with it..:001_tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.