Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Future selling prices on used FF Cobras ?

12K views 61 replies 31 participants last post by  JoeE 
#1 ·
Lately(at the major car auctions) original (untouched) muscle cars are bringing as much or more than ground up restored muscle cars.
Question is.These FFCobras (each & everyone of them) ARE "originals" .Will the same hold true with them ,in the future ?

#46 ·
Future selling prices on used FF Cobras ?

Please allow me to enter this discussion and offer my comments. I think the title of the OP was lost somewhere; what are "Future selling prices on used FF Cobras?" I don’t think the prices should or can be compared to those of Original CSX cars, nor Superformances, nor Ferraris. That's comparing apples to oranges. So let's focus on the current vs. future values of FFR replicas. Compare it to buying and selling stock or a house or land. And don’t include the joy of building it or other intangibles.

I think we all agree that the cost to build a FFR car will never be recovered. $50-60k invested might bring $30-40K upon sale. So what about the depreciation of a complete car that is purchased? If the cost to purchase was, say, $35k, what do you think it would sell for in five years?

#48 ·
No guesses? Come on, SOMEBODY out there must have the answer. Or at least an opinion.
Niceguyeddie posted the following earlier in the thread:
0 miles = break even or make a few thousand on a build
10,000 miles = lose a few grand on the build
20,000 miles = lose $5K on the build
30,000 miles = lose $5-10K on the build
40,000 miles = lose $10-15K on a build

it levels off after 50,000 miles.
His estimates seem reasonable to me. Lets say you drive it 4k miles a year, for a total of 20k miles. If you bought it with 10k miles and took it to 30k miles, you'd sell it for a loss of maybe $3-8k. Looks to be a similar depreciation if you took it from 20k miles to 40k miles. You could drive it less, and recover more, but I don't really see the point in that. :grin2:

To me estimating and predicting the value of the car in the future completely misses the point of ownership and the point of the car. The factory five roadster is a replica, and one geared towards on track performance, unlike many of the competitors kits. Drive and enjoy it, understanding that it's not and will not be an appreciating investment, but won't have the value fall out from under it like a production car from the major manufacturers will soon as the next newest model comes out with 5 more hp and a new bumper.

#50 ·
Car Prices

I was watching Barrett Jackson last night and saw a cobra replica (yellow) with 200 miles on it sell for $33K.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1966-SHELBY-COBRA-RE-CREATION-ROADSTER-208234

There is now way the seller did not loose money on this. Because it surely cost more to build than $33k.

I agree with the others on this thread. If you are looking for an appreciating asset look somewhere else. No one knows or cares how much time and or money you put into the build.

Just enjoy the car for what it is "an experience"

Cheers

#54 ·
There is now way the seller did not lose money on this. Because it surely cost more to build than $33k.

I agree with the others on this thread. If you are looking for an appreciating asset look somewhere else. No one knows or cares how much time and or money you put into the build.

Just enjoy the car for what it is "an experience"
Agreed. I see lots of restored cars sell for less than the cost to restore. It's not just Cobra's that can lose money when sold.

#53 ·
Short Answer

No, unless Factory Five stops production all together and 40 years later there are only 100 originals left and no one else has come up with a better version of it.

#56 ·
#61 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.