Brake Calipers - PBR vs Cobra - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > FFCars.com Library > 2005 Roadster Archives - Read Only
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

I need the straight story here. I currently have dual piston PBR calipers from a 2002 Mustang GT on the front of Hula Girl. I am upgrading to 13" rotors.
A) Are these twin piston PBR's better or worse than the M-2320-AF Ford Cobra calipers?

B) If the PBR's are better, can they be fit to the 13" rotors with different brackets? (The Cobra units come with brackets and bolt right up to my SN95 spindles.)

I need answers from folks who really know. No speculation please. Thanks mucho.

~Let's Hula!~

Stupid is as stupid is....
Hula Master is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

The Cobra calipers are also aluminum twin pistons made by PBR. The main (only?) advantage is that they use a bigger rotor --> more fade resitant.

You can get them new (not rebuilt and no core charge) for $200-250 or so.

Another advantage is that you can get very high quality Brembo 13" rotors for around $60 each.

I am not sure if the caliper itself is different or if its just the bracket, but the Cobra ones are definitely an upgrade over the stock GT PBRs.

Lukas
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member

Len,

I'm nearly certain that PBR makes both calipers which are identical. The "Cobra" caliper just has a different bracket to clear the taller rotor, and of course it says Cobra on it.

If you get Cobra R calipers, I believe those are actually made by BREMBO.

Chris
Old 08-03-2005, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Len, I've got a set of '03 SVT Cobra PBR's sitting in my garage along with the 13" rotors and spindles from the same car, let me know if it will help you, I can take pictures or measurements and any casting numbers for you to compare to your GT's. The bracket is seperate I believe, maybe you could get just the larger bracket from Max@5 Star Ford?
Let me know what you need -pics/#'s
Jon
Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi Len,
A pair of loaded (complete with pads & bracket) Cobra calipers sell fot about $200.00
Mike Forte
Framingham, Mass. 01702
mikeforte302@gmail.com
508 875 0016
www.fortesparts.com
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?v=info&ref=ts
The Early Ford & FE Tremec were also originals from Mike. The Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kit also is an original from Mike. His latest developments are external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions too.
Tremec Elite Distributor for: T-5, T-56, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600
TKO-500 & TKO-600 Midshifter, Front shifter, offset Corvette shifter and more...
A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge....
Est: 1981 selling & building performance parts to build your dream car...
FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR. NEW 5 LUG AXLES & BRAKE KITS & NEW 8.8\" REAREND IN BOTH IRS & FOX AXLE.
Mike Forte is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Forte:
Hi Len,
A pair of loaded (complete with pads & bracket) Cobra calipers sell fot about $200.00
Mike Forte
Mike,

Is this for a new set ? Are they the ones that have 'cobra' painted on them ? Do you have them in stock ?
SportyBry is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 05:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mike, I'll call you in the morning.

Now, let me tell you why I posted this topic. I called Ford Racing specifically to ask about the Mustang GT PBR's vs the Cobra calipers in terms of performance. First, the "tech" said the PBR's were single piston, not twin. I knew better. He then went on to say the Cobra's were single piston also, albeit bigger than the PBR, thus better braking power. Well, it seems to me that I had read in about 16000 places that the Cobra's were twin piston, but hey, we're talking Ford Racing here.....far be it from me to question a "tech". My thinking was that maybe these "10th Anniversery Cobra Calipers" were an oddity....single piston. I now know that this "tech" ...isn't.

So, Hula Girl will soon be upgraded to pin drives with Bob Lacey's beautiful new wheels and BFG G-Force T/A KDs (BIG ones), new shocks, new brakes, new sidepipes, and, my wife's addition, new Finishline overiders to replace the quick-jacks.

I can't wait! Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Ain't life grand!

~Let's Hula!~

Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Len,
I try to stock the COBRA twin piston calipers. I sell them all of the time. The GT calipers are single piston cast iron calipers. I'm not sure about the red caliper with the horse on it.
Mike Forte
Framingham, Mass. 01702
mikeforte302@gmail.com
508 875 0016
www.fortesparts.com
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?v=info&ref=ts
The Early Ford & FE Tremec were also originals from Mike. The Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kit also is an original from Mike. His latest developments are external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions too.
Tremec Elite Distributor for: T-5, T-56, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600
TKO-500 & TKO-600 Midshifter, Front shifter, offset Corvette shifter and more...
A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge....
Est: 1981 selling & building performance parts to build your dream car...
FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR. NEW 5 LUG AXLES & BRAKE KITS & NEW 8.8\" REAREND IN BOTH IRS & FOX AXLE.
Mike Forte is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Just as a clarification, the GT was a single piston cast iron caliper from 94-98. The 99+ GT all had PBR twin piston aluminum calipers with the same size rotors (10,8" and 16.5 lbs by the way).

The red caliper with the horse on it is the Mustang bullit special edition, same thing as Cobra only with a different logo.

Lukas
Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mike,

I have a set of '99 GT calipers that are PBR aluminum dual piston. They just don't say "Cobra" on them...

Brian
Old 08-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Craftsman

The 99+ calipers are bigger than the Cobra calipers but not sure if they will take a bigger rotor.

This site explains as good as any...

Selling MK3 IRS
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/18-fact...paint-20k.html
KarlS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hi Len your 2002 mustang GT calipers are better than the cobra calipers in my opinion.they have bigger pistons and use larger brake pads but a smaller 11" rotor.
however if you want to use the 13" rotors you must use the cobra calipers.the cobra calipers are an upgrade to do the 13" rotors.
you will have to change the calipers,rotors and hoses.
if you need more info please call.1-888-558-5757
thank jeff www.discbrakesrus.com

in the brake business for over 30 years
Old 08-05-2005, 12:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Len,

The 2002 PBR calipers are NOT the same as the Cobra calipers and are not interchangeable without fabing up a custom bracket.

The 2002 calipers us different pads and have different bore pistons.(larger) Both are made by PBR as others have stated.

David
David Borden is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2005, 03:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I've got what I need. Hope this post helps others as well.

~Let's Hula!~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement