Supersnake goes for $5,000,000!!!!! - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Off Topic > Other Cars
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 04:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Cobrafied
FFCars Master Craftsman

I thought it was his battery pack. Something has to keep him going [img]smile.gif[/img] Dan
MKII #4393. Supercharged 357W 600HP, Injected, Tangerine Pearl, Stone White stripes, and its almost finished!!

2011 GT500 With the SVTPP and stripe delete

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 04:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

It was probably an automatic defibrillator that was going off when he heard the selling price!

Building Mercedes Benz 300sl Gullwing
Jay Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 05:03 AM   #33 (permalink)
Snake Farmer

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by m3 hammerdown:
supercars.net lists correct power numbers for this particular car but 1/4 mile is 12.4 and top speed is 165......Carroll claims to have been stopped in Nevada? for doing 190.
I have the Road & Track road test for this car (January 1968) and it shows 75mph in 1st@7000rpm, 126mph in 2nd@7000rpm, 182mph in 3rd @ 7000rpm. 0-100mph in 7.9sec It claims gentle driving nets 9MPG.
Love at first bite! FFR6803RD, MKIII 3.1, 302EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5 c/w Hurst Short Shifter, 3 link, Koni coil overs, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear, BBK rr lower control arms, Chuck's Roadster wire harness, part donor, part new. Officially on road 09/2010
AC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #34 (permalink)

Maybe Carol is running on nitrous these days?

-Steve
427 FE w/ alum. intake and heads, 8.8 with 3:55s, Graduated 12/29/06, 2008 FFR Open House Best in Show Roadster
"There is no replacement for displacement"
happybigblock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #35 (permalink)

any one have the lot # for this car, I wanted to take a peek at it
-Herb
EDIT:
answered my own question. is this the one:
1966 SHELBY COBRA 427 "SUPER SNAKE"
Lot Number: 1301
Old 01-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
Charter Member

Old 01-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #37 (permalink)

Yep Herb, 1301.

Anybody know where Pratt got his money from? What does he do? My wife was amazed to see somebody drop that much on a car.

J

Delivered 9/18/05
First Start 7/23/06
Graduated August 2011
jsd33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Charter Member

Dang, I missed it. Do you think they will replay it at some published time in the future? I would love to see it...

MKIII Delivered 4/05, Graduated 8/07, 351W, Carb, 3-link, 4x4's w/Gas-N Pipes, Disks, 15" Team III, T5Z, 3.55 Rear, Indigo Ink and Titanium by Ron Randall at Metal-Morphous
MrJeffreyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Where did Ron Pratt come out of the wood work from theses last couple years? Last year that $4 million bus. This year the 07 GT500 and the Supersnake one right after the other. Pretty much humbled the Ferrari clothed guy and the bald guy with the brunette trophy on his lap from last year. Haven't even seen him this year.
When will the skyrocketing prices stop. Good for FFR owners selling. I don't think today can top last evening
Old 01-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #40 (permalink)
Shade Tree Mechanic

"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Scalded Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #41 (permalink)
Shade Tree Mechanic

Here's a quote from the BJ website and it says Bill Cosby did not own CSX3015.

As history shows, CSX 3015 is one of two Super Snake Cobras built. The other being CSX 3303 built for Bill Cosby. CSX 3303 was a 1967 427 street car retained by Shelby American as a PR car and then made into a Super Snake for Bill Cosby. Cosby's record album titled '200 MPH' attests to the fact of why he only drove it once before returning it to Shelby American. Shelby American sold it to S and C Motors in San Francisco, who then sold it to their customer, Tony Maxey. Maxey destroyed himself and CSX 3303 by driving off of a cliff and into the Pacific Ocean. Sadly, Brian Angliss only opted to revive CSX 3303 leaving Mr. Maxey the only one still dead! This copy of CSX 3303 exists in the U.K. today and probably will be offered at an auction. It has absolutely no collector value.

"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Scalded Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Icon2a

I was there last night Standing at the exit ramp when the Super Snake was auctioned-off. Just moments before the hammer fell, I rushed out to the display tent where they interview the winning bidder and got a great viewing position and took several photos. If someone could I'll send them the pics to post, I don't how to otherwise.

The night was ELECTRIC!!!!! I've not been to a Barrett-Jackson event before, only watched it on Speed Channel. My wife, Debe, bought me a framed Carrol Shelby Lithograph with his original signature. BEAUTIFUL!!!!! It will go right above my antique office bench and be my inspiration for building my FFR Cobra.

If you've never been to a B-J Auction you're missing out on a specticle event. WOW...I've been to shows before but nothing like this in my lifetime. I had a blast testing out a driving simulator, only $20K!! It has over 80 tracks (accurate to 1/10 of a meter), covers from F1 to Rally car racing (paddle shifters for F1), >100dB, etc. Go to:

www.virtual-gt.com

JEESSSSE...I had a blast. I'll be making reservations for a hotel for next year very soon so I can spend a couple of nights. Convient for me to live in Tucson.

Regards
Aprilia RSV Mille R #107 (and still very Yellow)
newtfig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #43 (permalink)

Send to me cobrajunky@comcast.net
Todd Buttrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
DMW
FFCobra Master Craftsman

I hope this gets a lot of coverage in the press. I'd like to get a copy of an article on this sale to post in my garage.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Capt. Gioley

You need to get around a little more. Hank Williams, not a singer, attends EVERY SAAC convention and all major Ford events. Hank is the original owner of an unrestored green 289 with wire wheels a rare hardtop. Hank is a former formula 1 driver and is a black gentleman.

Roger Stine
Old 01-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Icon2a

Lot 937 Winning Bid: $ 73,700

This fresh new professionally built "Factory 5" Ford Cobra by Midwest Classics provides similar styling of the original Shelby combined with computer designed period correct 4" round steel and aluminuim chassis. The Ford 4.6 liter 32 valve D.O.H.C. engine with computerized 8 stacker electronic direct fuel injection providing sufficient H.P. and torque. A 5 speed tremic manual transmission with a 3.73 posi grip 8.8 rear and moser axles handle the power. The 5th gear gives a touch of overdrive for a cruising pleasure. All wheel power disc brakes do the stopping. At 2200 to 2300 lbs., it's 0-60 in less than 4 seconds and should blister the quarter in less than 11 seconds. The Ford GT-40 blue paint with white stripes and black trim make this Cobra handsome to the eye, combined with it's power and handling make this ride a thrill to drive.
**TITLED AS A 1965 FFR**

Check out the Link for pics of this car:http:

//www.barrett-jackson.com/carlist/cardetails.asp?In_AuctionID=221&In_LotNumber=937

I saw this car under the tent, beautifull paint job. This will be my paint preference when I start building mine. Can hardly wait!!

Regards
Old 01-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #47 (permalink)
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Who is this Pratte guy that purchased Shelby's car and many others? What is his history? Occupation?
Old 01-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
Head Quack

He builds houses
middlekid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Cobra Padawan

Roger,

I don't get out at all. Car's still stuck in the garage. I was just looking at photos of folks at rallies and get-togethers and noticed that the 'typical' FFR owner appears to be a white dude from New England in his mid-50's. Was actually surprised there were as many youngsters like me when they did the age survey a while back.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #50 (permalink)
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Ron Pratt lives in Chandler AZ (metro Phoenix). Not sure where he made his money.

Planning a mid-life Cobra, not a mid-life crisis
KC Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #51 (permalink)

Pics from FigTuna's visit to the BJ auction

Todd Buttrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Simply amazing that somebody could have that much money. Is he actually going to open a museum like they said so that all can view the autos??
Cobrastang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 03:54 AM   #53 (permalink)

I'm surprised. Only $5M? That's probably the most historically significant American car ever made. My guess was $8-9M.

Heck, at only $5M, I would have bid on it! Do you think they would take a check?
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
Dart 427W, Momar 8 Stack EFI, 600'ish hp, TKO, 3.55 TruTrac, Red with Ghost Flames. More fun than should legally be allowed.
Bob Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 04:26 AM   #54 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member

Todd:

Thanks for posting my pics. As it turns out the buyer's actual cost was 5.5 million as B-J takes a 10% cut in buyer's fees on top of the highest bid! What a night that was . I'll remember it as one of my top life-events (and I've seen quite a few of those).

Hey, what da ya think of my lithograph with the authentic signature???? Is my wife cool or what? She told me on the way home to Tucson Sat. night that she "..I FINALLY get the car thing"! (We've been married 20 years!)

YYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS...time to get the Cobra project underway....praise Jesus, be healed Oh Brother...AMEN!

Later Guys [img]graemlins/black.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #55 (permalink)
FFR Craftsman

Quote:
Originally posted by KC Wildcat:
Ron Pratt lives in Chandler AZ (metro Phoenix). Not sure where he made his money.
This was the only things I could find:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0193131AAIjclG
║FFR #4883: 347CID|CompCam Magnum 286HR|Vic. Jr. heads|Hurricane Intake
║Mighty Demon 650DP|IRS w/Torsen T2 & 3.55|MSD ignition system
║Mallory pump/filter/reg.|Hallibrand 17" w/275-45R17 & 315-35R17|
║Original I-Squared 1+1 System ☺ ☺☺
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════ ═══
289FIA_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

I wonder why Ron Pratt in Chandler, who certainly must know Harley Cluxton in Scottsdale,(both men have exceptional collections) didn't just buy the Cobra directly from Harley and avoided the BJ auction circus? One can only speculate that perhaps a center piece/show queen/headliner was needed for this years auction. Is it possible that some type of 'arrangement' could have been put into motion? I doubt that either Ron or Harley are publicity hounds. You have to admit that the Super Snake generated quite a media frenzy before, during and after its sale.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #57 (permalink)
Charter Member

I was in the doctors office yesterday for "The Annual Checkup" and was reading about this car in a small article in the back of the magazine. The history is quite interesting. Seems Carroll blew it up in NV, and sold it for $10,500 to Jim Webb (McCarther Park) He got in trouble with IRS and fled to his home country in Canada. He hid the car here in the US for 20 years until the IRS found it. They auctioned it off for $335,000 in 1995. Did not say Carroll was the winning bidder?? Anyway bet the IRS was a little irratated on Sunday LOL
skilman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #58 (permalink)
FFCars Craftsman

I just noticed that the MSNBC Business page is carrying this transaction under the headline that the car changed hands for 5.5 BILLION dollars. Hey, it's just a decimal point or two difference!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #59 (permalink)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RB:
I wonder why Ron Pratt in Chandler, who certainly must know Harley Cluxton in Scottsdale,(both men have exceptional collections) didn't just buy the Cobra directly from Harley and avoided the BJ auction circus? One can only speculate that perhaps a center piece/show queen/headliner was needed for this years auction. Is it possible that some type of 'arrangement' could have been put into motion? I doubt that either Ron or Harley are publicity hounds. You have to admit that the Super Snake generated quite a media frenzy before, during and after its sale.
Rather than that, I think it all comes down to $$$ -- who could have predicted that it would bring $5mil?

As a seller you want all the press and hype you can get, along with as many potential buyers as possible bidding -- having carol there sure didn't hurt the seller's cause.

The seller and B/J made great use of each other -- and the fee to the seller, considering you are at the best car auction in the world, was a fair one IMO.

J.
93stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement