Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Dart Short Block

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  edwardb 
#1 ·
Anyone know where to get the best deal on a Dart 427W short block?

Eric

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
You need to be careful when looking at short blocks like that. That one has flat top pistons so using a fairly standard 61-64CC head you will be making over 12-1 compression. It won't live on pump fuel. I can build you one for the same price.

#5 ·
#7 ·
You can find short blocks and long blocks readily available in a lot of places. But, like most things readily available, they're one size fits all. For your Cobra, is that what you really want? One size fits all? I didn't think so. :)

Call Gordon Levy or Mike Forte and have them build you exactly what you want. You'll find that the prices are very competitive, and you'll be much happier. And you'll probably get a better product, with much better service after the sale.

#8 ·
OK, first off, 10:1 is about all of the compression I need, since it'll be a pump gas engine. Flat top pistons won't cut it. With dished pistons, depending on deck height and combustion chamber volume, I should be able to use some reasonably large-ish intake runners and stay around 10:1.

As far as one size fits all, there are multiple options for short blocks from more than half a dozen vendors out there. Almost anyone can beat Summit or Jeg's on engine prices. I found an assembled Iron Eagle block with the right pistons for $5500.

I'm a cheap-skate, but I do have some skills, being a 30+ year A&P/NDT/RTS Inspector. I'd like to get an un-assembled short block that I won't have to take to a machinist before I can start throwing parts on it.

Thanks for the info, guys.

#9 ·
DIY Kits

I was tempted to build my own with everything machined and ready to go. Seems like a fun project. You don't save much but you get to choose your parts.

Check out this site.

Do it Yourself Liberator Short Blocks

#12 · (Edited)
X3 on Fordstrokers. Jim did the DART SHP short block on my last build. While I could have done it myself, I opted for him to do a custom billet cam and install the pan and timing cover. Beautiful work and a fantastic runner. Not sure what HP you have in mind, but Jim told me the SHP block could handle 900-1000 HP. DART rates it for less than that so that it fits into the lineup and they can market the heavier duty Iron Eagle, according to him.

#11 ·
Just bought a 10/1 comp 408 built by DV through Terry Walters machine shop in n.c., 600hp+ on the dyno. Using production block will save you 40# and lotta cash. DV has another book coming out around end of year on small block fords, he will have this engine build in the book. This engine had about $9k in parts and labor, AFR220 heads, super victor intake and 950hp carb. They use a cam program that is pretty good. Anybody can do the bottom end, it's the top end that matters....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.