Thank you all for the suggestions. We were able to get the engine and trans out in one hunk, and it took about 3 hours (granted that's not counting the weeks of prep I did before we yanked it). What made it easier for us at least was the fact that the MK3.1 did have a removable trans mount, AND I found out that the aluminum that covered the trans in the cockpit was only held on by one pop rivet. So, I drilled that out and had great access to help guide the trans out. The car is hardly complete by any sense of the meaning, but it is "together".
What we ended up doing was jacking up the rear of the car as high as the jack stands would allow us, then lowering the front as low as the jack stands would allow. We came in from the side, and during the process had to jack the car up to move jack stands as we coaxed it forward.
Another "trick" we found out was using a shorter load leveler. The one that I had was very long, and that would interfere with the cowl. One of the guys brought his over, that's much shorter, and we never had any issues.
Now, I'll be taking the body off to do a lot of stuff, so when the engine comes back, it should be pretty easy with the body off to get it back in. I should have taken the body off FIRST, but, I didn't. Oh well.