Engine dies when coasting in gear - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
active

Engine dies when coasting in gear

Hi everybody. Its good to be back on the forum.
I have a MKIII DOHC I have been driving since 2008. After a 3 year ordeal with the paint job (got it done, and then stripped and then re-done) I'm on the road again. The car runs great and sounds great. Except for one small thing. I used a manual speedo gear & cable and I have no electrical connection from the trans. When Im coasting down in gear, and then push in the clutch, the engine dies unless I "blip" the pedal. This has been an issue since day 1 of driving the car. Ive learned to live with it since I am now very good at timing the gas pedal "blip".

But; I want to fix this now so my car has no "bugs" in it. As I recall there is a solution to this that was posted some time ago but now Ive lost it. Any 4.6 builders out there who have encountered and solved this? Or, can re-post the thread?

4.6 DOHC, first start 10-15-07, sounds great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:41 PM

this is going to sound crazy but it worked for me and others. I had the mass air flow sensor in the three oclock position (looking across engine from driver side) and mine stalled 1 in 5 times when coasting. A quick google search and i was instructed to rotate the sensor to the 12 oclock. sounds weird but 10k miles without a stall. heard that a new tune helps but i didn't need to go that route

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiley.jpg (71.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg power.jpg (238.0 KB, 16 views)

MKIV 7785
coyote 302
tko-600
wilwood brake upgrade
delivered 4/12
engine in 6/14
first start 09/14
go-cart 09/14
paint 6/15
legal 7/15
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Unconventional Builder

Garage
I think you need some sort of speed sensor plugged in even though it isn't controlling speedo. Perhaps there is a way to jump/fool ECU. That is how I found out mine was disconnected I kept stalling at low speed.

Donor $2,500 -Kit $18,000 -Extra "needs stuff" $100's -$1,000's
300+hp tagged race car PRICELESS !! Best ET 12.6 @ 111 mph N/A
Mk III #5294 -302 AFR 185 Heads, B cam, T5, 3-link, 3.55 posi, 11" GT front and 11" Cobra rear brakes, SAI, UTC exhaust No More EFI: Now Quick Fuel 650

It is not the giver of life that destroys human life. It is the receivers of life who do not live in the rational, honest way called for by the creator's behavioral law. Instead they live as they please and finally are forced to depart this life. Richard W. Wetherill

YouTube Videos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Pics:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:46 PM

I do have the speed dial installed!

MKIV 7785
coyote 302
tko-600
wilwood brake upgrade
delivered 4/12
engine in 6/14
first start 09/14
go-cart 09/14
paint 6/15
legal 7/15
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
active

Im going to try rotating the mass air unit this weekend since its supposed to be 62 on Sat here in Mich.
I have heard about connecting the electricals but what parts do I need for that/ I don't recall having a section of harness that went there. But Ill double check my bags of old donor car goodies this weekend too.

There is a place to plug in a connector on my donor speedo sending unit but that is one strange looking thing, like there's a place for a cable to go down into it with a 2 pole electrical connection all in the same thing. So I never used it because the combination of an electrical/mechanical sending unit and the manual Cobra speedo never matched.

There's got to be a fix out there that works for this...

BTW that's a bad A$$ dash board bro, did that come from Whitby or something? Oh yes and check out the gauge customization section on the Autometer web site... its the bomb! but that's another thread.

Now back to the topic
Any other information on this problem of stalling when coasting, is very welcome.

4.6 DOHC, first start 10-15-07, sounds great.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Its a Casey dash that i covered in carbon fiber and the inserts are distressed copper clad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (245.6 KB, 17 views)

MKIV 7785
coyote 302
tko-600
wilwood brake upgrade
delivered 4/12
engine in 6/14
first start 09/14
go-cart 09/14
paint 6/15
legal 7/15
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 PM
FFCars Craftsman

If moving the MAF doesn't do the trick, try to contact Art at WireDiet. He is quite knowledgeable on the 4.6 DOHC. He dieted my wiring harness so he knows the electrical on that setup really well.

Good luck,

Alan

MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, 255/40-17 F 295/35-17 R Kumho XS, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014.
New project, 1970 Mustang fastback restomod. Started 10/14/16.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_roger5speed View Post
When Im coasting down in gear, and then push in the clutch, the engine dies unless I "blip" the pedal. This has been an issue since day 1 of driving the car. Ive learned to live with it since I am now very good at timing the gas pedal "blip".
First guess:
If you have a cable actuated throttle body with an idle air control valve, you can adjust the throttle body opening to get a minimum idle speed. To do that, I would disconnect the idle air control valve connector and turn the throttle body stop screw until you get a minimum idle speed. Reconnect the valve. The idle air control valve would then provide additionnal air for fast idle.

Second guess:
If it is a drive by wire throttle body, you'll need an electronic speedo signal or ask a chip tuner to disable the Deceleration Fuel Cut Off (DFCO) that totally cuts fuel when decelerating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement