Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Another AEM Infinity ECU Install on a Coyote

80K views 443 replies 18 participants last post by  TMScrogins 
#1 · (Edited)
Another AEM Infinity ECU Install on a Coyote and...

Well, I got my roadster back on the road after the dyno disaster late last year. Took the opportunity to replace the destroyed stock coyote motor with an Aluminator XS (this proved to add some unintended consequences, I'll describe in a moment). Here's a link to that saga for those interested... http://www.ffcars.com/forums/45-for...ter-builds/469954-cold-air-intake-coyote.html

After having a new tune built for the Aluminator XS and logging dyno time I began driving the heck out the car over the spring and early summer months. The tune just wasn't quite right down at low RPM, especially at tip-in and tip-out conditions at no load. Clearly more power with this engine but the driveability characteristics just weren't as gentlemanly as my stock coyote motor. So back to the tuner I went for some more tweaks. We were able to improve it but still not quite right. I then pondered going back again to try and get more tuning done but began to think maybe it's time to start tuning this thing myself as the inconvenience to take it to someone continues to mount. I began looking into SCT's Advantage III Pro Racer tuning software since I was setup with the SCT tuner and tune already.

Enter David Borden... David says he's thinking of considering ditching the stock PCM in favor of AEM's Infinity ECU. Not knowing much about their product, I began my research and ultimately decided to ditch the SCT route and Ford PCM and go full hog. Fast forward and we are both sitting in tuning class down at AEM's headquarters (safety in numbers right?). After the whirlwind 2-day tuning training class and product purchases made, on to the install of the new ECU.

What sold me on the Infinity setup was the fact the hardware and software was manufactured and supported by one company. No locked tables, no mystery areas of the ECU, no reverse engineering. Everything is above board. Coupled with a one stop shop to help the likes of a sorry wannabe tuner like me. Couple this with some of the product features that I was really interested in, like Traction Control, and the user-friendly approach of their tuning software interface with the use of wizards, and I was hooked.

The physical install itself, while involved, went without a hitch. I took the opportunity to install tone rings on the rear IRS axles along with wheel speed sensors front and back. I also had to convert the VSS Analog VR signal from the Tremec TKO to a digital signal for the Vehicle Speed input to the ECU (Thank you Dakota Digital), wired in inputs for a 12-position traction control switch as well as some other inputs for engine protection strategies and some other features. Wired in the fuel pump to be controlled by the Infinity ECU. Done with that and it was time to start tuning.

What is really cool about the Infinity ECU is that AEM provides a base tune file for the stock Coyote motor. You basically start with a conservatively safe tune that will run your engine and can then tweak it from there. My problem was that the Aluminator XS uses larger heads and cams along with larger throttle body and fuel injectors. This would need to be compensated for in the tune. The great guys at AEM took my throttle body (Ford Racing Corbrajet Twin 65mm) and one of my fuel injectors (47 lb.) and characterized them for me on their equipment. This gave me the data I needed to build out the modifications to the base tune file.

It was time to start the engine. At this point David Borden was about 1 week ahead of where I was on mine. He had already successfully started, idled and test drove his without much of any issues. The engine started right up with not a lick of problems. However, there were immediate idling issues. Idle would range from over 2,000 RPM down to 400 RPM. The engine would just begin to oscillate as the idle feeback would work overtime to correct the oscillations. Until I could get the idle tuned properly there would be no driving it. With hours and hours of tuning on just the idle with lot's of phone and email support from AEM (those guys have been absolutely fantastic), I still have yet to get the idle working properly. All the issues have been focused on the drive-by-wire tuning. Particularly, we determined that there was some stiction in the throttle body down at just off idle at around 1-2% throttle position. Ultimately, I changed out the throttle body and went to the Super Cobrajet Monoblade TB. Still unsuccessful although through tuning the PIDs and the DBW Bias tables I was able to get the idle within a range of 600 RPM to 1300 RPM using idle feedback to control the idle. Still not acceptable though.

Both of these throttle bodies flow about 1600 CFM (twin) and 1800 CFM (mono). The stock Coyote TB flows about 900 CFM. Since upgrading to the Aluminator XS with the Cobrajet Intake and TB, I've never had nearly as good of idle characteristics as the Boss IM and Accufab 84.5 mm throttle body (1200 CFM). So my current theory is that the Throttle Body is just too large for the N/A application to reasonably expect low-end driveability. The slightest movement of the throttle plate causes a large run up or run down in engine speed as it takes in or restricts such a mass volume of air.

To test this theory I have ditched the CobraJet intake and throttle body for now in favor of the Boss intake with Accufab throttle body. Just finishing up the install now and should be back to tuning it this weekend. Assuming this fixes the problem I'll hit the road for some data logs and begin working the tuning out for the VE map, ignition, cam timing, and decel. Hopefully be back on the road soon.

Fingers crossed.

Trevor

Attachments

See less See more
#71 ·
Cold Start Issue - Resolved

I was able to tune out pretty much all lean conditions on cold start. I modified the two tables even further ratcheting up the fuel adder from 23% to 30% and dropping Lambda target from an additional .15 to .20 for the first few seconds. This brought the peak Lambda down even further from the already better 1.2 to .98. The engine speed is very smooth and constant at startup. I've attached the original data log showing Engine Speed, Lambda and Target Lambda (it is messy). I've also attached the final data log after all tuning changes were in place. The first log was taken when the ambient temperature was 28 degrees F. The last log taken was even colder at 26 degrees F (just this morning).

You'll see in the first log 2 separate engine stalls with almost a stall a 3rd time before it starts smoothing out compared to the last log.

I've also attached the final tuning values in the two modified tables.

No more cold start problems!

Trevor

Attachments

#72 ·
Ethanol Content and Tuning for it

As I progress through every area the engine controls and the ECU looking for calibration and tuning improvements, one area that I put some focus on is the gasoline vs. ethanol content. For tuning purposes, it is important to know the ethanol content of the fuel as it will impact Air/Fuel Ratio (Stoich) for the most efficient burn and could unintentionally create exceptionally lean or rich conditions. We know the Stoich of Gasoline is 14.7:1 (that air/fuel ratio that gives the perfect mix to essentially provide a complete and efficient burn of the fuel).

Unfortunately, at least in California, I can't get pure gasoline. Most all gasoline sold at the pumps is E10 (10% Ethanol content). Pure Ethanol has a different Stoich value than Gasoline. Ethanol's Stoich AFR is 9.0:1. So the simple adjustment would be to calculate the revised/blended Stoich value for 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol which comes out to 14.13. So I could use this value as my Stoich and tune accordingly. This would surely be much closer to actual than assuming a 14.7:1 value.

However, E10 doesn't necessarily equate to 10% Ethanol. The regs stipulate that to label Gasoline as an E10 product it cannot contain any MORE than 10% ethanol. It doesn't regulate the lower side of the content. So gasoline sold in California could actually have only 5% or maybe 8% ethanol content. Obviously this would change the Stoich of that fuel. So, I decided to buy an ethanol content test kit and test the fuel in my area. I took several samples at different times from the station I always buy my fuel from and tested it. The results were a consistent 7% Ethanol content. That calculates to a 14.3 Stoich. So this is the value that I need to set equal to Lambda value of 1 in the Infinity ECU.

To override the 14.7:1 Stoich, you need to change the fuel type in the injector setup Wizard from "Gasoline" (fixed at 14.7:1) to "Flex-Fuel". This tells the ECU to read from the Flex-Fuel tables instead of the fixed/constant values set in the wizard by using a particular fuel. Then go to the Flex-Fuel tab in the Infinity tuner and change all of the Stoich values across the table to your newly calculated Stoich. I've attached a picture of the wizard screen and the table I am referencing.

Note: If I were to install a flex fuel sensor (dynamically calculates ethanol content), I wouldn't need to do this as the computer would automatically adjust for the ethanol content with different fuel blends such as E-85 or a mix of E-85 and regular pump gas. If I elect to convert to E-85, I'll go this route as it means I can setup one tune calibration and the ECU will mix appropriately between the Gasoline and E-85 maps. For now, this should be quite accurate for the fuel in my area. I will continue to test it from time to time.

I hope this helps someone down the road.

Trevor

Attachments

#76 ·
The E85 sensor works great - I have one on my car. Depending on where you have it in in your system, you can run into a small issue with rough running as you blend back to another fuel. So if you're going from 91 to E85, it's going to pump the blended 91 through the motor before passing through the E85 sensor on the return line.

Tune it on 91 then E85 and at blends between the two tunes, which really boils down to 3-4 degrees less timing. Stoich on most new cars have been adjusted to 14.47:1 to account for the standardization of ethanol in fuels.

As I progress through every area the engine controls and the ECU looking for calibration and tuning improvements, one area that I put some focus on is the gasoline vs. ethanol content. For tuning purposes, it is important to know the ethanol content of the fuel as it will impact Air/Fuel Ratio (Stoich) for the most efficient burn and could unintentionally create exceptionally lean or rich conditions. We know the Stoich of Gasoline is 14.7:1 (that air/fuel ratio that gives the perfect mix to essentially provide a complete and efficient burn of the fuel).

Unfortunately, at least in California, I can't get pure gasoline. Most all gasoline sold at the pumps is E10 (10% Ethanol content). Pure Ethanol has a different Stoich value than Gasoline. Ethanol's Stoich AFR is 9.0:1. So the simple adjustment would be to calculate the revised/blended Stoich value for 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol which comes out to 14.13. So I could use this value as my Stoich and tune accordingly. This would surely be much closer to actual than assuming a 14.7:1 value.

However, E10 doesn't necessarily equate to 10% Ethanol. The regs stipulate that to label Gasoline as an E10 product it cannot contain any MORE than 10% ethanol. It doesn't regulate the lower side of the content. So gasoline sold in California could actually have only 5% or maybe 8% ethanol content. Obviously this would change the Stoich of that fuel. So, I decided to buy an ethanol content test kit and test the fuel in my area. I took several samples at different times from the station I always buy my fuel from and tested it. The results were a consistent 7% Ethanol content. That calculates to a 14.3 Stoich. So this is the value that I need to set equal to Lambda value of 1 in the Infinity ECU.

To override the 14.7:1 Stoich, you need to change the fuel type in the injector setup Wizard from "Gasoline" (fixed at 14.7:1) to "Flex-Fuel". This tells the ECU to read from the Flex-Fuel tables instead of the fixed/constant values set in the wizard by using a particular fuel. Then go to the Flex-Fuel tab in the Infinity tuner and change all of the Stoich values across the table to your newly calculated Stoich. I've attached a picture of the wizard screen and the table I am referencing.

Note: If I were to install a flex fuel sensor (dynamically calculates ethanol content), I wouldn't need to do this as the computer would automatically adjust for the ethanol content with different fuel blends such as E-85 or a mix of E-85 and regular pump gas. If I elect to convert to E-85, I'll go this route as it means I can setup one tune calibration and the ECU will mix appropriately between the Gasoline and E-85 maps. For now, this should be quite accurate for the fuel in my area. I will continue to test it from time to time.

I hope this helps someone down the road.

Trevor

#73 ·
Flex fuel sensor

Hello Trevor,

Interesting timing, since I'm currently waiting for Nick from 5523 to finish assembly of the integration harness, I was also doing some research on E-85 fuel in San Diego.

Early into my engine build I realized that running a high performance, supercharged engine would most likely require the use of better than 91 octane pump gas, so to be sure I built the fuel system with stainless hard lines -8 AN fittings and PTFE lined stainless braided hoses on the supply side, the same on the return side with -6 size lines, now I'm glad I did.

So it looks like I came to the same conclusion as you, install a flex fuel sensor to dynamically calculates ethanol content so I won't need to do it myself and let the computer automatically adjust for the ethanol content.

And now here is were your timing is perfect, I ordered the sensor a few days ago and it just arrived today! AEM prefers the sensor to be installed on the return side of the fuel system.

And so it is...

Now on to the fuel pressure and boost sensor.

:wrench:

Saul

Attachments

#74 ·
Hello Trevor,

Interesting timing, since I'm currently waiting for Nick from 5523 to finish assembly of the integration harness, I was also doing some research on E-85 fuel in San Diego.

Early into my engine build I realized that running a high performance, supercharged engine would most likely require the use of better than 91 octane pump gas, so to be sure I built the fuel system with stainless hard lines -8 AN fittings and PTFE lined stainless braided hoses on the supply side, the same on the return side with -6 size lines, now I'm glad I did.

So it looks like I came to the same conclusion as you, install a flex fuel sensor to dynamically calculates ethanol content so I won't need to do it myself and let the computer automatically adjust for the ethanol content.

And now here is were your timing is perfect, I ordered the sensor a few days ago and it just arrived today! AEM prefers the sensor to be installed on the return side of the fuel system.

And so it is...

Now on to the fuel pressure and boost sensor.

:wrench:

Saul
Saul,

Interesting. I didn't realize that the preference was on the return line for the sensor. Thanks for sharing that tidbit. I'm documenting that for what will most likely be a future flex fuel sensor install.

#75 ·
Ethanol Content and Tuning for it - Update

The timing on this is kinda eerie. So yesterday AEM released a new firmware update for the Infinity ECU along with an update to the Infinity Tuner software. As it pertains to Gasoline and Ethanol content that I just posted, I laid out a way to force a Stoich value based on the gasoline/ethanol mix using a flex fuel setting. Well, this is no longer necessary with the just released version of the tuner software. In this new release, AEM now exposes the previously fixed Stoich values of the specific fuel types to the user and we can now not only set the Stoich but also the specific gravity for whatever fuel type we are running. So now with the new software and firmware I will go back to the injector setup wizard and change it back from Flex Fuel to Gasoline and set my Stoich value to 14.3. This is more straightforward. Still a moot point if I install the Flex Fuel sensor.

Thanks to AEM.

Trevor

Attachments

#79 ·
Mark,

With the sensor on the fuel return side, what you state makes perfect sense. Saul had mentioned that it needs to be placed on the return side per AEM. I just finished reading the same in some AEM literature. But no explanation as to why. Is it that the sensor is too restrictive on the supply side?

Do you know the reason?

Trevor

#80 ·
Hey Mark,

Yep, we got on the topic of you and your car while both him and Jen were at my house doing the preliminary harness measurements.

It didn't take long to get a good impression, he definitely knows his wiring stuff and sharp with all things AEM.

Question, where about inline did you mount the E-85 sensor on your car?

I mounted mine about the same distance on the return fuel line as the fuel rails are to the fuel regulator, along the passenger side foot box and about 8 inches above the main frame rail.

I'm hoping that by keeping the distance about the same as the fuel rails it may help with the timing and reading of the incoming fuel mix.

:revs:

Saul

Attachments

#82 ·
If they are doing the Infinity layover harness integrated with the RF chassis harness, that's exactly what I have. My setup was a little more complex since I have the trans/diff/cooler fan setup along with the Radium FCST triple pump setup.

Take a look at the photo I posted a few comments back. My regulator is mounted right by the tank. The Radium regulator receives both fuel pumps on the top then the return is on the bottom on the same side (like a triangle) then the other side of the regulator is the feed. It then dead heads at the rails. That way I'm not pumping gas all around the chassis of my car and heating it up - it all returns 3 inches from the feed.

I would put the sensor as close to the beginning of the return line as you can. The quicker you can detect the ethanol content change the better.

Hey Mark,

Yep, we got on the topic of you and your car while both him and Jen were at my house doing the preliminary harness measurements.

It didn't take long to get a good impression, he definitely knows his wiring stuff and sharp with all things AEM.

Question, where about inline did you mount the E-85 sensor on your car?

I mounted mine about the same distance on the return fuel line as the fuel rails are to the fuel regulator, along the passenger side foot box and about 8 inches above the main frame rail.

I'm hoping that by keeping the distance about the same as the fuel rails it may help with the timing and reading of the incoming fuel mix.

Saul

#84 ·
With you guys already up and running at least I know that I'm heading in the right direction, I'm really looking forward to actually doing some tuning soon.

Trevor is your fuel system/lines already set up for E-85?

Also, do you know if you can run a single 3-wire oil pressure transducer style sensor and feed the signal to both the Infinity ECU and the gauge? or do you need to run separate sensors for each?

The reason I ask is because I just sent my oil pressure gauge back to Speedhut to reprint the face to 150 psi and have it converted for use with a 3-wire transducer style sensor. (Another thing I took your advise on Trevor)

While I was at it I also sent in the temperature gauge to have them convert it from celsius to fahrenheit.

Saul

#85 ·
Saul,

Actually I just ripped out all of the rubber fuel line and in-tank fuel pump this morning and converting everything over to E-85 compatible. Installing, new ethanol rated flex hose (Gates Barricade MPI) along with a 320 lph AEM E-85 fuel pump. Digging out the Infinity harness now to prepare it for wiring up the flex fuel sensor when it arrives. I've already built my E-85 tune and that's ready to go. Although I'll need to refine the tune once I dump a full tank of E-85. Then the table blending should be pretty solid.

I've already up sized the hardline. Not as big as you guys'. I am naturally aspirated and -6 AN (3/8") supply and 5/16" return will be ample for my setup. I'm going to stick with my 47 lb injectors for now. At 525 HP at the crank on gas, I hope to top 550 HP on E-85. If I need larger injectors I'll go with ID 1000s.

As to your question... you can feed both the ECU and the gauge off of the one 150 psi transducer sensor. I ran the wiring from the ECU to the gauge and then onto the sensor.

Trevor

#88 ·
The smaller ID750s are the same price as 1000s. I can easily tune the ID1000. It will just be at a lower duty cycle on an NA application. Yes, they are overkill for NA but for the same price, I'd rather have the larger ones in case I ever decide to boost it later down the road and won't have a wasted investment in the smaller injectors.

#87 ·
Thanks, that should save me some time and effort.

Saul

#90 ·
E-85 Conversion and Tune

So I wasn't really planning on going with E-85 but a little self-imposed coaxing and having heard from Saul and Mark and I'm in. Remaining issues with the Infinity to tune is now pretty sparse. So I guess E-85 is the next frontier to get some additional tuning experience with. But first the hardware for the conversion and then I'll get onto the tuning.

Fuel Line for the soft connections: Gates Barricade multi-fuel/Bio-fuel MPI hose
Fuel Line for the hard connections: 3/8" supply, 5/16" return
Fuel pump: E-85 rated AEM 320 lph in-tank
Pump hanger: 1995 SN95 bracket (larger 3/8" supply line, same 1/4" return)
Fuel Injectors: Injector Dynamics
Fuel Rails: Metco Motorsports
Ethanol Sensor: AEM Flex Fuel sensor with -6AN fittings

Fuel Math calculations with my engine show 3/8" supply to be more than ample. However, my stock Fox body fuel hanger has 5/16" supply and 1/4" return. With the SN95 hanger, the supply is 3/8". I removed the 1/4" return and brazed in a 5/16" return into the hanger assembly. I finished switching over all fuel lines.

The alcohol in E-85 will absorb moisture and injectors are prone to rust shut or open. Injector Dynamics uses stainless internals in the injectors so these are a good choice for E-85 as they won't rust. Will still need to "pickle" the fuel system with Gasoline when storing the car for longer periods (off-season). While the aftermarket Metco fuel rails are really not needed that's a "just cuz", as I never like the look of the stock rails and I don't keep them covered with the NVM insulation covers so they are exposed.

For the Flex Fuel sensor, I have to wire a digital input into the ECU. The digital input requires a pullup to 12V to function properly. I finished breaking into the harness and wiring in the sensor lead to C1-25 (Flex Fuel pin) and assigning it to Dig4. So the harness wiring is done and buttoned back up and ready for the Flex Fuel sensor when it arrives next week.

Rest of the parts to finish up the hardware upgrades are on order. Will post progress on this conversion.

Trevor

#91 ·
I haven't played around with the TC knob yet, I haven't actually got a chance to drive the car on the street.

I highly recommend Driven's carb defender. It coats all your lines and hard parts to keep them from breaking down.

Also e85 absorbs water from the atmosphere. Don't leave it in the tank for a long time, especially people back east when they don't drive over the winter.

#92 · (Edited)
Great tip on the carb defender. I'll check it out. Yeah, pretty clear on the gasoline pickling suggestion in light of the hygroscopic effects of E-85. Will ensure a heavy concentration of gasoline is in the tank and ran through the engine before any extended periods of sitting.

Make sure you send an update out when you start playing with your traction control. I'm really interested in your thoughts. I've been so impressed with it.

#97 ·
E-85 Conversion and Tune

More parts.

I had overlooked the fuel filter. Apparently paper/cellulose filter media and alcohol don't like each other. Go figure. I currently run an Aeromotive 10-micron post-pump paper filter. Not gonna work. Did a bunch of research and I think the best approach is to use a stainless mesh media. They are supposedly good for E-85 and other alcohol based fuels. And rather than servicing the filter by replacing it frequently, the stainless mesh filters are washable and re-usable. The problem I found is lack of availability for the 10-micron filters in stainless. Most of the stainless mesh filters available are 100-microns. I did find a few but really liked what I found at Radium Engineering. They build really cool products. Anyway this is the filter I went with:

Parts are starting to roll in for the E-85 conversion. Will be hopefully knocking out most of the conversion over the weekend.

#98 ·
Hello Trevor,

I'm running a reusable stainless element 100 Micron filter mounted at the vertical post where it is accessible yet it is out of the harms way.

Because I have not yet started the engine much less put any miles on it, did your research reveal any compromise with a 10 micron filter? to me it seems like it may be a bit restrictive.

Saul

Attachments

#99 ·
Hello Saul,

First off, great looking work on your fuel lines. Here's what I know... or think I know (caveat, I am not an expert). I think it has been general practice to run 100-micron filter before the pump and 10-microns after the pump. For my application (NA), I won't have near the same fuel requirements as your boosted setup. So will a 10-micron filter suffice? Well, it is true that the finer the filter the more restrictive it is. However, there are other variables besides micron rating when it comes to filter flow which include the inlet and outlet port size as well as the amount of surface area of the filter. Take a tiny inline filter at 10-microns and compare it to a much larger filter made of the same media at 10-microns and the larger filter will flow more volume. Running 100-micron filter is a bit coarse for my liking and wouldn't want those sized particles hitting my injectors, especially with the amount of money I have in the injectors alone.

As for research, a while back Dragzine did an article with Fragola and Aeromotive in which they featured fueling a 1000HP boosted Coyote and setup it up with a post-pump 10-micron filter.

I've added a link below on a tech bulletin on fuel filtration which you may find helpful.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/TB_102_Outlet_Filter_02.pdf

Trevor

#100 ·
Good article,

Thanks, I'll look into a 10 micron element since the good thing is the element is inexpensive and easy to replace.

Thanks on the complement, even with the proper tools and a tubing bender I remember my thumbs hurting for a week afterward, too bad most of the lines are not visible!

:bandaid:

Saul

#101 ·
E-85 Conversion and Tune

Finishing up this weekend. Still waiting on a few parts to complete the E-85 conversion. But was able to get the flex fuel sensor plumbed and wired in. I plumbed it on the return side directly off of the FPR. I also finished modifying my in-tank fuel pump hanger bracket and brazed in a larger return line. I ended up brazing in a 3/8" return line instead of 5/16" from the oem 1/4" as I had originally planned. With the new E-85 rated 320 lph pump set in the hanger, back in the tank the assembly went. Swagelok -6 AN fitting on both supply and return out of the tank.

Just need to install/mount the new stainless-mesh media filter when it arrives and the new fuel injectors and fuel rails.

Hopefully I can finish this project next weekend and be ready to start tuning for the E-85 and try out my first tank of the new fuel.

Trevor

Attachments

#105 ·
Finished the install of the new stainless mesh filter and buttoned up all the hose connections. I tested the fuel system for leaks. All is good. The new E-85 AEM 320 lph in-tank fuel pump is extremely quiet. At first I thought the pump wasn't running. It was. Compared to the Walbro 255, this pump is very quiet. An unintended benefit.

My new fuel injectors arrived. Just waiting on the new Metco fuel rails and I'll have the fuel system conversion wrapped up.

Will be going on a day run tomorrow and have the new Flex-Fuel tune that I built loaded. Although, I'll be running gasoline only and finishing tuning the gasoline ignition timing map/table. Later, after I get the new injectors installed I'll empty out the tank and fill with E-85 and then do some pulls/logs and tune the E-85 ignition timing map/table. Once that is done, my ignition tables will blend based on the ethanol content.

I'll post some results soon.

Attachments

#106 · (Edited)
E-85 Conversion and Tune

A quick followup to my tuning last weekend. As well a followup to the fuel pump.

First, AEM shared with me that the reason the new AEM pump is so much quieter than the Walbro is because the Walbro is a rotary style pump whereas the AEM is a turbine pump. So I wasn't imagining things. It really is quieter.

Second, I finished dialing in the timing. I had a little knock in cylinder 3 around 3,000 RPM. I pulled out 1 degree and ran some logs for the remainder of the day doing a number of 4th and 5th gear WOT pulls from 1,500 RPM to get to 100 kPa on the load. My timing peaks at 25.5 degrees on gasoline. So with the gas tune ignition timing done, I'm pretty much ready to start ramping up the timing on E-85. I'm hoping to gain an additional 4 to 5 degrees of timing.

Need to first put the new ID1300 fuel injectors in. But still waiting on my fuel rails. I finally cancelled my order with Metco. They are backordered and have no expected date when they will be available. Instead I ordered a pair of Radium Engineering fuel rails (see pic below). I'm hoping they will arrive before this weekend so I can finish up the conversion and start tuning the E-85.

In an earlier post I had mentioned going with ID1000 series injectors and while I thought they had stainless internals, I was wrong. Apparently only the ID1300s and the ID1700s have stainless internals which should last a lifetime with E-85. Injector Dynamics and Bosch Motorsport have begun collaborating, and these are the two injector products that have the new stainless internals since the partnership. So, the ID1300s it is. Way, way overkill for fueling needs on my NA motor but should pretty much handle anything I decide to do to it in the future such as boosting. Unlike the Ford Racing injectors, the nice thing with the Injector Dynamics injectors is they supply very accurate characterization tables to tune to as well.

Trevor

Attachments

#111 ·
Yeah the AEM pumps are super quiet. I have a total of 3 in my tank - 1 lift and two feed. You can't even hear them with the car on and the body off.

My car is going back on the dyno tomorrow. We are going to break the motor in, finish the E85 tune, drain/clean the tank, then 91 tune it. If all goes well, by this time next week I plan to have the body on it!

A quick followup to my tuning last weekend. As well a followup to the fuel pump.

First, AEM shared with me that the reason the new AEM pump is so much quieter than the Walbro is because the Walbro is a rotary style pump whereas the AEM is a turbine pump. So I wasn't imagining things. It really is quieter.

Second, I finished dialing in the timing. I had a little knock in cylinder 3 around 3,000 RPM. I pulled out 1 degree and ran some logs for the remainder of the day doing a number of 4th and 5th gear WOT pulls from 1,500 RPM to get to 100 kPa on the load. My timing peaks at 25.5 degrees on gasoline. So with the gas tune ignition timing done, I'm pretty much ready to start ramping up the timing on E-85. I'm hoping to gain an additional 4 to 5 degrees of timing.

Need to first put the new ID1300 fuel injectors in. But still waiting on my fuel rails. I finally cancelled my order with Metco. They are backordered and have no expected date when they will be available. Instead I ordered a pair of Radium Engineering fuel rails (see pic below). I'm hoping they will arrive before this weekend so I can finish up the conversion and start tuning the E-85.

In an earlier post I had mentioned going with ID1000 series injectors and while I thought they had stainless internals, I was wrong. Apparently only the ID1300s and the ID1700s have stainless internals which should last a lifetime with E-85. Injector Dynamics and Bosch Motorsport have begun collaborating, and these are the two injector products that have the new stainless internals since the partnership. So, the ID1300s it is. Way, way overkill for fueling needs on my NA motor but should pretty much handle anything I decide to do to it in the future such as boosting. Unlike the Ford Racing injectors, the nice thing with the Injector Dynamics injectors is they supply very accurate characterization tables to tune to as well.

Trevor

#107 ·
E-85 Conversion and Tune

I finished installing the injectors and new fuel rails. Here is a pic of the new fuel rails installed along with a comparison of the old vs. new injectors. I changed the injector tables to accommodate the new injectors. It fired right up and idles smoothly. Will double check my VE table to make sure it is still dialed in on my next trip out.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.