REBUILT Power Steering Rack and Pinion Ratios... Revelation at AUTOZONE - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
FFCars.com Forums Advertisers Build Sites FFR FAQ Gallery

Go Back   FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > FFCars.com Library > 2004 Roadster Archives - Read Only
Register Garage iTrader FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

FFcars.com is the premier factory five cars Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was hoping to fill in some blanks on the Rack/Pinion Chart today. SO, I decided to stop at autozone again this morning. I asked if they had a 6462, the SLOWEST of the three rebuilt Power steering racks from ATSCO, in stock.. so i could measure it. The clerk checked and had one. He got it down and I measured it.

NOT 3 turns Lock to Lock as advertised. ..... but 2.25 turns Lock to Lock. Oddly enough, JUST LIKE THE 64163 quick ratio GT or Sport

AND the Revelation IS!!!! You cant even count on ATSCO to put the right Power Steering rack in the box.

We already know that ATSCO substitutes 3 very different manual racks under the same SKU number.

There are four Power Steering ATSCO numbers for our 87-93 mustangs:
6462, Ford Design Std power steering.. 3.0 turns
6439, Ford Design Sport pwr steering.. 2.5 turns
64163,Ford Design GT Power steering.. 2.25 turns
6413, TRW Design unit... (turns not listed)

we already have the specs for the 64163 and 6439 in the spec chart. but dont have the specs for the 6462 or 6412.

NOW it appears that ATSCO Substitutes the three racks depending on what they have available the day they pack out the box..... ICOULDBEWRONG, but i dont thinks so.

LESSON LEARNED... Know what you want BEFORE ordering a rebuilt rack/Pinion... Have your vice grips in your pocket an check it out at the store and if its not what you want, SEND IT BACK.

I was hoping to fill in the last remaining FORD Power Steering numbers on the Rack/Pinion Chart and left very dissapointed.

If anyone works at a autoparts house, please get a 6462 rack down. Then Measure;
1. the total movement of the rack
2. how many turns it is from lock to lock. the 6462 is advertised at 3.0 turns LTL.

earl [img]graemlins/yellow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yellow.gif[/img]

[ March 09, 2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Earl, can't you have the same ratio but different amounts of tie rod travel if the gear sizes are different between racks? That would account for a lot of the confusion.
FFR1653 306EFI, TFTW heads, TFTH roller cam, 1.6 roller rockers, WC T5, 8.8 posi 3:55, Edlebrock 70mm TB, Pro M Bullet 75mm MAF, 24lb injectors, FMS intake, Mac Shorty headers, Canton 8 qt., Walbro 155 lph, 4W discs, coilovers, 15\" Halibrands, adj upper a arms, FR15-1 rack, etc.
AirForceOne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2004, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
RJG

WhenI got a new one from AZ, there was 3 to choose from. Look up the parts for a 90.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AirForceOne:
Earl, can't you have the same ratio but different amounts of tie rod travel if the gear sizes are different between racks? That would account for a lot of the confusion.
The rack travel for all these mustangs is ABOUT the same... About 5" give or take about a quarter of an inch. But, a half inch of rack travel is some what significant. And if one of the racks has a whole lot more or a whole lot less travel, the potential buyer needs to know that to make an informed purchase.

On this unit I looked at this morning, the ATSCO book said it would be 3 turns. It was only 2.25, so it was not the unit they said it was.

THEY SUBSTITUTE. so be prepared for it. thats my point. You will not get what you want, unless you know what you want and REJECT the ones you dont want.

earl

[ March 09, 2004, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]
Old 03-09-2004, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RJG ie FRYDSNK:
WhenI got a new one from AZ, there was 3 to choose from. Look up the parts for a 90.
That is exactly what I did. There are actually 4 mentioned. I looked up the number for a 3.O turn LTL unit.. a 6462.

The 6462 is the only one we dont have the specs for on the spec chart. and it MAY be the one with the variable ratio.

But, it was not a 6462 in the box, it was actually a 64163... the one with 2.25 turns lock to lock.

FRYDSNAK, is the Rack/pinion that you got match what you thought you ordered??

Earl [img]graemlins/yellow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yellow.gif[/img]

[ March 09, 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]
Old 03-09-2004, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
FFR Driver
FFCars Master Craftsman

Earl,

I just installed my 79 manual rack from AZ with MikeZ last night. It does not apear to be the "desirable" rack as described. Wish I had this info two weeks ago!

Oh well, if its not what I want I will return it and insure I get what I want.

Thanks for all the effort on your part.
dpmac is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2004, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dpmac:
Earl,

I just installed my 79 manual rack from AZ with MikeZ last night. It does not apear to be the "desirable" rack as described. Wish I had this info two weeks ago!

Oh well, if its not what I want I will return it and insure I get what I want.

Thanks for all the effort on your part.
Lots of luck actually getting the R/P you want.

Below is the information I was trying to complete.

Earl [img]graemlins/yellow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yellow.gif[/img]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Below is a SUMMARY (quickest to slowest) of all the Rack/Pinions available for the 79-93 Mustang. We need 2 more numbers to have COMPLETE INFO; Anyone work at a autoparts house???

The "RACK TRAVEL 1 TURN" number roughly equates to the ratio..... What little ratio information that exists MAKES NO SENSE when you cross reference it between brands/types.

Style . . . . . . . . LTL - rack travel LTL - Rack travel 1 turn… Description..

A. Atsco 64163.. 2.25 - 5.50 - 2.36 ,, Power “Sport GT 85-93 mustang power rack”
B. Atsco 6439.... 2.50 - ???? - ???? ,, Power “Sport Mustang 85-93 Power rack”
C. Atsco 6462.... 3.06 - 5.44 - 1.78 ,, Power “std 85-93 mustang power rack”
D. Manual 79-93. 3.25 - 4.75 - 1.46 ,, rebuilt rack (one of three Atsco 6812 interchangeable)
E. FR 1520......... 3.33 - 4.88 - 1.47 ,, Flaming River (15:1) Manual “Quick”
F. Manual 79-93.. 3.75 - 5.38 - 1.43 ,, rebuilt rack (one of three Atsco 6812 interchangeable)
H. FR 1503......... 4.00 - 5.00 - 1.25 ,, Flaming River (18:1) Manual
G. Manual 79-83.. 4.25 - 5.00 - 1.18 ,, rebuilt rack (one of three Atsco 6812 interchangeable)

Flaming River does not offer a Manual 79-93 Mustang rack at 13:1 according to their tech services dept.

The Flaming river Tech Services dept says the reason many of us are experiencing WONDERING when using power racks in the manual mode is because the power racks are made differently from the manual racks. Probably less crown to the rack… the Power racks rely on the hydraulics to maintain directional stability…. Sort of like Bills two shocks he installed on his car’s R/P.

Rack D seems to be very RARE….. advantage as quick at the FR 1520, with reduced movement should cause less scrubbing of wheels on F panels and A-arms. Disadvantage, Rebuilt…This is the Manual rack ID LIKE TO HAVE…

Rack F looks has the overall appearance of the FR rack and seems to be the most common Atsco 6812.

Rack G is a weird one piece casting that looks a lot like a powersteering unit (without the hose holes) seems to be shipped about 20% of the time as a Atsco 6812 VERY SLOW like the FR 1503… Could be a good R/P for a BIG BLOCK manual steering cobra. This is the rack I have and I DO NOT LIKE IT…

Rack H. A lot of folks ordering these for FFRs seem to be VERY UNHAPPY due to the slowness.

SUMMARY, If you want a REALLY QUICK R/P, you have to go with a Power steering rack… either manual or with the pump hooked up. Either the A, B or C rack. No one has reported using the B or C rack.

If you want a mid range quickness R/P the D, E or F rack is for you.

IF you want a really slow R/P go with the G or H rack.

IF you have Additional Info, Please post it…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement