Wow, not a single post here in 3 days. This place really is DEAD - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

2Thanks
  • 1 Post By JJ in Cbus
  • 1 Post By CraigS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
OT Moderator
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Wow, not a single post here in 3 days. This place really is DEAD

Sad, because it used to be so lively in here.

Guess it's ran it's course.

FFR1004659RD OFFICIAL GRADUATION
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD: 10/4/10

1987 Buick Grand National (All original with only 16k miles)
1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport (Currently undergoing a frame off restoration)
1965 Buick Riviera 401 car, unrestored survivor, driver.
2005 F150 FX4, Supercrew (Daily Driver)
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan (Beater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:19 PM
www.myraceshop.com

I really can't figure out what is going on in general.

I work in downtown San Diego and my commutes have never been lighter in my 18 years working in downtown.

I look out my window throughout the day down at the parking lots and they are about 1/2 to 2/3rd full. They have never been like this, and two large high rises have gone in across the street in the last couple of years...with roughly half the parking needed for the residents if the buildings were 100% occupied.

I had figured that this would create a YUGE crush on the parking here. Nope.

Very strange.

With our proximity to the border, and the new administrations point of view, I thought maybe it had something to do with Mexicans not coming over any longer in large numbers, but that doesn't explain the issues on the forums, or in other cities.

We do have some significant building going on up in north San Diego County, so maybe that has something to do with it?

If there is anybody still posting, how is it in your neck of the woods?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTM/Corvette/Racing Parts

Solution "kits" for some common GTM issues.

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

"Choose Freedom Over Freebies"
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

Yeah, used to be if you posted and no one responded in an hour or two your post was on the second page. Probably the result of many factors. There's a wider variety of social media than there was 15 years ago. Also, it is so much easier to google something and get the info you need and many times you will find a youtube video showing you exactly how to do what you are looking for. Also, the large amount of ads on this site slows it down and also scares some people off.

It's a shame, but life moves on.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:45 PM
www.myraceshop.com

I read an article yesterday that said that WAY MORE people are moving out of major cities, including New York and Los Angeles, than are moving to them. The only reason populations are increasing is because of birth rates, but think about it. If you live in a rural area and are going to have a baby you will probably go to the nearest large cities hospital to give birth. Doesn't necessarily mean you will stay in the city. The article said that even new foreign immigrants do not seem to be stemming the tide of people leaving major cities.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...est-u-s-cities

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

Summer.....traffic is lighter, business is off, etc. Not sure where everybody is going tho....

I'd have finished a long time ago if I knew they were this fun!

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:29 PM
www.myraceshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Summer.....traffic is lighter, business is off, etc. Not sure where everybody is going tho....
That's what my co-worker suggested...but this is San Diego...it is where people GO ON VACATION.

Usually we are flooded with people from Arizona this time of year as they try and escape the heat. I have counted two "zoner" plates on cars in the last couple of weeks. Something is definitely different.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 PM

I had the exact thought with my daily click on this forum link....had to look to make sure I was still logged in because there was no bold subject lines. Its a long slow decline it would seem. Bummer.

Chuck

Build Gallery:

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:13 PM
Classic Format Fan
FFCars Craftsman

I guess we have all collectively solved all the world's problems have have not had to post here to get anything else figured out...
Justin Roberts thanked this.

FFR6768 MK3.1 Mountaineer 5.0 Midshift T-5
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:20 PM
Not a waxer

It's summer time; maybe guys are actually building and driving their cars. Seems that's why we all came here to begin with. Well, most of us anyway

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Classic Format Fan
FFCars Craftsman

Waiting on parts now... Need some SS windshield strips from Whitby's but they seem to be on back order.

FFR6768 MK3.1 Mountaineer 5.0 Midshift T-5
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:54 AM
FFCobra Captain

I've been gone for the last week moving my daughter & son-in-law to their new place in Chicago. They're both starting their residency at Northwestern hospital.

Be back to my normal posting groove on Monday.

Dan

FFR5857
349cu.in with Mass-Flo EFI, Edelbrock Performer Alum. Heads and other go-fast goodies
PS/PB/AC
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

I don't know about SD and the parking lots but I think there are a few things going on here.
-FFR started in about year 2000 so while they are still selling a lot of kits, I suspect there are quite a few who had there FFR for 5-6-7 years and then moved on to other things and/or other cars
-this forum has gone through some major changes. WHile a lot of us have made it appear mostly like it used to be, and use Adblocker, I wonder how many are looking at the new format and don't like it.
-While this forum has more current stuff (a lot more or maybe just a little more) than the official FFR forum, a couple of recent posts indicate some don't really understand the situation between the two forums. How many newer FFR owners find the other site via FFR and may not even know this one exists?

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM
FFCars Captain

The drop off seemed fast. Sad

If you don't think it's real, go ahead and step in front of it!

mark III, 302 crate, 670 Holley carb, 3 link, non-donor.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:10 PM
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

I'm still here at least weekly! Always a happy story, new gadget, something that broke, a video you never saw.

Referencing the above, I think that one of the reasons people are moving from cities such as New York and Los Angeles (the two places I've lived) is the SUBURBS are becoming much hipper. Better restaurants, arts, and entertainment than just 10 years ago. The stigma of the 'burbs being the doldrums is less.

I have personally experienced that the traffic in both the New York City and Los Angeles areas has gotten worse in the past 10 years, and maybe people don't want to move around as much in general?

This past weekend in Southern California, there was a wedding in my family and of the three days I was off, I was in traffic about 10 hours total. Keep in mind this was a weekend, and the travel was as all times of the day, and it was not "holiday weekend return beach traffic" in the late Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Seems nowadays everybody and their grandmother has a CIVIC hybrid, Prius, Tesla, CNG car, and with the "Carpool OK" stickers, the carpool lanes harldy help anymore. In fact, quite often they go SLOWER than the other 7 lanes! But I guess that's another story.

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
timing

Last week was the HR power tour and the NHRA hot rod re-union and nostalgia drags. I caught the beginning of the power tour and the nostalgia drags which
is also called geezers and gassers at times. It was nice to be one of the younger guys in a crowd for a change and it was a hella event as always.

That schedule kept me away from the forum for awhile. Capt O-ring hit the nail on the head on this one.

Dale

Dale Berry 7L Hemi33
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Hey RobJ, how about you post something other than a comment about no one is posting anything?
ROB J thanked this.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post

I have personally experienced that the traffic in both the New York City and Los Angeles areas has gotten worse in the past 10 years, and maybe people don't want to move around as much in general?
I often text pics of the slow Amish traffic or harvesting equipment slowdowns I experience daily to my colleagues who are still working & stuck in traffic 1-2 hrs a day.

& like-wise I do enjoy & appreciate the incredible knowledge the membership of this forum shares.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:06 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

CraigS,
ROB J is just stating the truth about how slow things are here? I too have noticed how things have slowed down here? I'm here 6/7 times each day, but try to just post only on things that might give others some insight(I hope). This is by far one of the "bestest" forums going!! Just a 'lil slow right now---
hth
Butch

PS
GraigS, couple more comments and you will have 18,000. CONGRATS!!

This ain't no circus--and I don't need any clowns!

MKI #1437, EFI 347, Astro T-5, 3:55 8.8rr, and other upgrades--
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 PM
www.myraceshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch B View Post
PS
CraigS, couple more comments and you will have 18,000. CONGRATS!!
True, but he has a three year head start on me...

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 12:18 AM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Yea, summer usually was slower on the social end of the forum but the tech end seemed to pick up as a lot of people were into the build during the warm season. My guess is a lot of people are on the other form. This site is bogged down with the ad stuff.
Wayne

Back at it and it feels soo good!
My World, My Universe, My Garage
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 02:33 AM
Junior Charter Member

I pop in here regularly, albeit not like I did five years ago. I see a ton of activity (FFR related) on Facebook. Usually, questions that have been thoroughly covered here. A lot of FB folks are unaware of this forum. On another note, Utah is a boom town, at least the area I'm near - double digit buildings going up everywhere. The iron workers are loving it!

Mike, FFR 4263 MKII, Red/Silver, 331 and Loads of FUN!!!!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Today, 08:14 AM

Im seeing a lot more traffic on facebook from factory five builders. Some here may post on facebook but from what I gather they could really use your help over there . I don't read too many of the post ,but have had a few I've referred here for better info. I find facebook way too scattered to really dig in for info when your at the point of banging your head to a wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement