Shop lighting...anyone go with LED T8? - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:38 PM
www.myraceshop.com

Just another vote for what Eddie said about wall colors, etc.

We just had our building management come thru and insist on "upgrading" our fluorescent lighting fixtures.

They looked HORRIBLE when they were finished. So bad that I told the management to put the old fixtures back in. They said they couldn't do that, but would work with us to get the color of the bulbs correct.

Bottom line, they ended up putting the same bulbs and ballasts in as the ones they took out, but the lighting was still horrible.

I believe the issue was they went from direct lighting to reflected lighting and the color of the reflector just sucks.

So after about three tries, I had them put two bulbs in of one color temperature and one bulb of another and it looks okay, but still not the way it used to be.

And the ironic part is, like I said, they ended up not using any different bulbs or ballasts than what we had previously, so there is absolutely no energy usage difference between then and now, just a dis-satisfied tenant that has been in this space for almost 30 years!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTM/Corvette/Racing Parts

Solution "kits" for some common GTM issues.

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

"Choose Freedom Over Freebies"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 PM
Senior Charter Member

More lighting info

Some good info here in these two links as well.

The Best Light Fixture Ever! - The Garage Journal Board

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=337137

If you collect enough parts, you're bound to end up with a car, right?
FFR 6203, Ordered 6/5/07 Stewart delivery 7/9/07, First Start 1/24/09, 2nd First Start 12/31/09, Go Karted 1/2/10, In the shop for bodywork and paint 6/25/11 Painted body installed 10/10/11

Pin Drive width, 3.27 IRS, Full Emission 302 EFI w/Trick Flow Top End Kit and ISIS, and lots of ideas stolen from here!
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

I found some T8 5000k CRI:90 bulbs for ~2.60 each and needed 75 total for a bit over $200. Turns out they want $114 shipping. I can't really justify that price but might have to pay it because I cannot find any bulbs locally that have a CRI above 80.

Ugh... Any ideas?

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dyno:
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:23 PM

Here are some HyperIkon with CRI 90+:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dua...=hyperikon+cri

Difficult to say if they really look the same as CRI 90 of other types since LEDs work differently but they should show colors better than the typical LED work lights.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 01:50 PM

What are folks doing in there shops that requires a 90 CRI? I changed all of the T8 bulbs in my shop to the Phillips daylight model and they work fine for my needs. I wanted more light to see what I'm working on and they provided that.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveS53 View Post
What are folks doing in there shops that requires a 90 CRI? I changed all of the T8 bulbs in my shop to the Phillips daylight model and they work fine for my needs. I wanted more light to see what I'm working on and they provided that.
I'm looking for CRI:90 fluorescent tubes with 5000k color temp. I build furniture and fishing rods for a hobby. Both require precise color matching with stains and threadwork and some paint work. I'm getting to the point I might just buy the Philips daylight bulbs and do all my matching outside but am still holding out hope I can find a decent bulb and price somewhere.

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:

Dyno:
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:05 PM
www.myraceshop.com

If you are really worried about color matching then my suggestion would be to go get some old stage lighting off ebay. I did this in my "studio" where I make how to videos in the shop and it is simply amazing what the color difference is.

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
If you are really worried about color matching then my suggestion would be to go get some old stage lighting off ebay. I did this in my "studio" where I make how to videos in the shop and it is simply amazing what the color difference is.
Yeah, was also thinking of just buying a "sun light" to shine on the colors as well. I'm not sure how important it will be to me with sunlight just outside the door.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:55 PM
www.myraceshop.com

I picked up a couple of lights that use these bulbs...

https://www.bulbamerica.com/products...e-halogen-bulb

I think I paid $150 for two of the fixtures shipped, from ebay, and they are focusable. Bulbs are only rated for 150 hrs, so not something you want on all the time, but the color and brightness is astounding. I ended up putting them on a dimmer, which also helps with life.
Darren thanked this.

post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 PM
www.myraceshop.com

I just did a quick look on ebay and these are essentially what I use...

BERKEY COLORTRAN super beam 1000 100-045 STAGE FLOOD SPOT LIGHTS 1000W used

Shipping kills you, and the dimmers are actually very pricey, but when you want to control 10,000 watts of lights, they are kind of necessary. I got one of the dimmers on ebay as well for a couple hundred bucks.

Certainly this setup is a lot more expensive than just putting LED bulbs into your T8s, but if you rarely use them and it is a requirement to have intense "sunlight" then this does it at a fraction of the cost of new, and I would think much better than the T8 option.

I have nine 400 watt HIDs in the shop space normally, but they don't have quite the right color and when doing a video the noise from the ballasts is annoying.

post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 AM

As soon as I run out of bulbs, I'm going no ballast LEDs.

The last box of Sylvania fluorescents I bought simply do not last. I have 20 four foot bulbs and I have to change 6 or 7 every Fall. The lights are only on a few hours per week, so they're not "burnt", they're just failing. However, about 6 of the bulbs are originals that I installed almost 20 years ago.

If I were going new, I'd still buy the cheap two bulb fluorescent shop lights that have a pull string. Wire around, but leave the ballast, and install LEDs. If I wasn't happy after a while, I could always convert them back. I like the pull string so I can have as many on as I want using a single switch rather than having several switches and the additional wiring to control zones, every other light, etc...

-Andrew-

- If the answer to the question is "the government" it was a stupid question to begin with.

Last edited by Hoosier; 05-24-2017 at 10:18 AM.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
As soon as I run out of bulbs, I'm going no ballast LEDs.

The last box of Sylvania fluorescents I bought simply do not last. I have 20 four foot bulbs and I have to change 6 or 7 every Fall. The lights are only on a few hours per week, so they're not "burnt", they're just failing. However, about 6 of the bulbs are originals that I installed almost 20 years ago.

If I were going new, I'd still buy the cheap two bulb fluorescent shop lights that have a pull string. Wire around, but leave the ballast, and install LEDs. If I wasn't happy after a while, I could always convert them back. I like the pull string so I can have as many on as I want using a single switch rather than having several switches and the additional wiring to control zones, every other light, etc...
I've been using Philips Alto ultra bright fluorescent lights in my shop on two 8' strips while building. They have lasted 9 years so far and still going strong. I did have a couple start to fade but would still reach full brightness, just after about 5 minutes or so. I replaced those just because. So far they have been pretty good. They haven't been used all that much but are lasting as expected so far.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 AM

We bought a couple sets of these (8 bulbs total) to add to the existing two sets of fluorescent bulbs in our 2.5 car garage. I think they light the space quite well and they are instant on. The price was good and they've lasted a year so far with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Int...dp/B012ENQSSI/
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 PM
*** CAD Librarian ***
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
I'm looking at these based on your "daylight" recommendation. What color temperature do you recommend? I don't see a CRI though. Is there a place I can find that on the package usually? 6500k seems pretty blue though.

Philips 32-Watt 4 ft. T8 Daylight ALTO Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (30-Pack)-451815 - The Home Depot

NGE Comment: "You are correct, very blue. "Daylight" is controversial. The sun's rays are about 5800K but with the blue sky adding to "daylight" some say true daylight is as high as 7000K."

These ones are 5000k which seems more like noon sunlight but they are general use, not commercial. Still have a decent hour rating.

Commercial Electric 32-Watt T8 Daylight Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (30-Pack)-F32T8/850 - The Home Depot

NGE Comment: (Same Comment) "You are correct, very blue. "Daylight" is controversial. The sun's rays are about 5800K but with the blue sky adding to "daylight" some say true daylight is as high as 7000K."

Ah crap...they both have a horrible CRI rating. Now I'm going to have to consider finding a good light with good CRI... so far hard to find and very expensive. Any suggestions on color temp and/or specific fluorescent T8? I was going to pick them up at home depot tonight but no good CRI bulbs there. I will be doing woodworking so stain matching and color matching are pretty important.

NGE Comment: CRI of 70 is OK for a shop except for things with true color and (ahem) love-making. (Don't try it under a florescent light,
you won't like what you see....)

These ones state "high cri" but don't list the rating. 4100k which is kind of low???

Philips 4 ft. T12 40-Watt High CRI ALTO Plus Cool White Supreme (4100K) Linear Fluorescent Light Bulb (30-Pack)-423129 - The Home Depot

NGE Comment: "These are OK but T12 is going away. Surprised it's still around."

I'm leaning towards these bulbs that CRI 90. Some have decent price. Just not sure if 5000k is what I should go for. Seems decent. Thoughts?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/56690/F-32L359.html

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/19...NIA-22439.html

NGE Comment: "Skip the first. Don't buy anything except Cree, Osram, or Phillips."

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....†††

post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:31 PM
*** CAD Librarian ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobquincy View Post
Here are some HyperIkon with CRI 90+:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dua...=hyperikon+cri

Difficult to say if they really look the same as CRI 90 of other types since LEDs work differently but they should show colors better than the typical LED work lights.
I would not trust a company that says 4000K is daylight. I doubt these are really 90 CRI.

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....†††

post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:34 PM
*** CAD Librarian ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I just did a quick look on ebay and these are essentially what I use...

BERKEY COLORTRAN super beam 1000 100-045 STAGE FLOOD SPOT LIGHTS 1000W used

Shipping kills you, and the dimmers are actually very pricey, but when you want to control 10,000 watts of lights, they are kind of necessary. I got one of the dimmers on ebay as well for a couple hundred bucks.

Certainly this setup is a lot more expensive than just putting LED bulbs into your T8s, but if you rarely use them and it is a requirement to have intense "sunlight" then this does it at a fraction of the cost of new, and I would think much better than the T8 option.

I have nine 400 watt HIDs in the shop space normally, but they don't have quite the right color and when doing a video the noise from the ballasts is annoying.
That spotlight is going to generate a lot of heat! I should know, I play guitar in a hair metal band on weekends.

You are correct, sometimes HID can cause problems with film, video, and RFI. So do some LEDs.

_
_

post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 PM
www.myraceshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
That spotlight is going to generate a lot of heat! I should know, I play guitar in a hair metal band on weekends.

You are correct, sometimes HID can cause problems with film, video, and RFI. So do some LEDs.
I have over 10,000 watts of lights on my "stage" in my "studio". It has a 22 foot high ceiling so that helps with the heat issue, but I do try and do all my work at night because of the heat and to reduce street noise as I live on a road that the bikers like to use constantly, especially during the summer.

It's funny, as I have gotten people that post that they think my sound is not perfect in my videos, yet if they knew the lengths I went to in order to get decent sound...

Never had a complaint about lighting though!

post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Just installed 54 Philips Alto Daylight 6500k lights. They look great

First Start:

Dyno:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement