How to crap away an afternoon - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

How to crap away an afternoon

I need new shocks for my truck, so I figured I would go on line and order them.

First there seems to be dozens of brands, so how to know which one to choose?
So, ok, I figure I was ok with how the truck rode when new so I would stick to just researching Motorcraft since it is an F250.

There doesn't seem to be much agreement between various websites as to which part number I need. Some say a given part number fits my application others say it won't fit and different part number fits.

So, here are the deets for anyone who may work at Ford and have better information than I could figure out even using Ford's website.

2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab 4WD 6.8L V10 4x4 single front shock 142" Wheel Base
There seems to be relatively unanimous agreement that the steering damper is ASH 24439

Most claim the rear is ASH 23360 although a few seem to think it is ASH 23459

The front is where it really gets hairy. A bunch say it is ASH 12307. Some say ASH 23456 and others say ASH 23359.

I am thinking maybe I should buy the damper and rear on line since the risk is low to cut the cost but pay a little extra to buy the fronts locally so I can easily return if they don't fit. If my time were actually worth anything I probably burnt up any savings from trying to buy on line. Of course who knows how much time I might spend runnign between autostores trying to find a set that fits the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 PM
www.myraceshop.com

Just a thought, but why not look on the shocks that are on your truck and see what part number they are?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTM/Corvette/Racing Parts

Solution "kits" for some common GTM issues.

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

"Choose Freedom Over Freebies"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Just a thought, but why not look on the shocks that are on your truck and see what part number they are?
Yeah, tried that. The numbers/letters on them don't seem to match anything I saw on line. Probably an internal Ford part number. I know when I was in manufacturing the part number internally was not what external customers saw.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Go to fordparts.com and enter the VIN of your vehicle.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo2 View Post
Go to fordparts.com and enter the VIN of your vehicle.
Yeah had done that several times. Not helpful at all in this instance. Part numbers did not look like motorcraft part numbers.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM

I can tell you that the Monroe shocks from Advance Auto I put on my '03 2500 are pure garbage.

-Andrew-

- If the answer to the question is "the government" it was a stupid question to begin with.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 AM
FFCobra Craftsman

I 'think' Monroe may have a catalog that has dimensions and type of attachment info. Maybe that could help decide which will fit by comparing to your existing shocks. And then be sure to buy from somewhere w/ a good return policy so if you end up w/ what Hoosier has, you can swap for something else. I got the following by googling 'truck shocks by dimension' and there are quite a few more.
MONROEŽ COMMERCIAL VEHICLE :: Shock Dimension Search
http://www.monroe.com/downloads/inst...ifications.pdf
https://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center...os/dimensions/

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM
www.myraceshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC View Post
Yeah, tried that. The numbers/letters on them don't seem to match anything I saw on line. Probably an internal Ford part number. I know when I was in manufacturing the part number internally was not what external customers saw.
That's odd. I have done this with tons of parts and there is AT LEAST a crossover reference available online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTM/Corvette/Racing Parts

Solution "kits" for some common GTM issues.

"How To" videos, including bodywork, frame, suspension, vehicle layout-all coming soon.

"Choose Freedom Over Freebies"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
That's odd. I have done this with tons of parts and there is AT LEAST a crossover reference available online.
Haven't had much luck there either. Front shock says F81A-18045-BBB or CF170A. Maybe I just don't know where to look. I googled both. I got close on the first string but no exact match.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

Well, I went ahead and just ordered them from Walmart since they price match and give free shipping. This way if they are the wrong ones, I can just bring them back. Only slight hitch is I need to go through it tomorrow since they only price match one of each item per day.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:29 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Rockauto does a great job listing OEM part numbers to match up with. This shock shows F81A-18045-AFC as an OEM number: More Information for MOTORCRAFT ASH23456
Ford frequently uses the last 1-3 letters to indicate revisions of the same part, so it is likely the current part number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC View Post
Haven't had much luck there either. Front shock says F81A-18045-BBB or CF170A. Maybe I just don't know where to look. I googled both. I got close on the first string but no exact match.

Brian's Build thread:

MK4, Coyote, TR-3650, 3-link, power steering/brakes, ABS
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuff View Post
Rockauto does a great job listing OEM part numbers to match up with. This shock shows F81A-18045-AFC as an OEM number: More Information for MOTORCRAFT ASH23456
Ford frequently uses the last 1-3 letters to indicate revisions of the same part, so it is likely the current part number.
I've looked at pictures of that part number in acouple places and they all show the rod end mount whereas my truck has 2 loop ends. So, I have my fingers crossed hoping what I ordered will fit. BTW, I ordered ASH12307. I think a big part of the issue here is most websites use a pretty standard year, make, model, cab, engine logic to identify parts. But, for the front shock the key seems to be wheel base. So, like I said, I have my fingers crossed. If not, I drive over to walmart and give them back.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 PM
OT Moderator
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Stick with Rancho Suspension, or Bilstein.

FFR1004659RD OFFICIAL GRADUATION

SOLD: 10/4/10

1987 Buick Grand National (All original with only 16k miles)
1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport (Currently undergoing a frame off restoration)
1965 Buick Riviera 401 car, unrestored survivor, driver.
2005 F150 FX4, Supercrew (Daily Driver)
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan (Beater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement